Photo

1.2 tce eat oil!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

stefanudrea

stefanudrea

Advanced Member

• 35 posts
This is my engine after 38000 km! Completely destroyed! At the service they said that the engine was working with only 200 ml of motor oil with no warnings on bord! Strange, isnt so?
5411e5e9d616b82fd76517b0a1ee4826.jpg0b60acc8d8d4ab0a9dd1ce16406cc71b.jpgab45620576c335a3d029acc085342145.jpgf79a4b80ac1cc55e2da47bb9883f616e.jpg73127e9163b66b868e3af58b72011799.jpg379c8979f778a61261b5ac288a191e86.jpg

Trimis de pe al meu Philips I908 folosind Tapatalk

moojuice

moojuice

Advanced Member

• 57 posts
  • LocationSouthampton, UK
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster Ambience

That's pretty harsh! Any idea where the oil went? Was it burned off, did it leak out or was there insufficient put in at the start? The only thing that can be done to prevent this is to check the oil level often (every other refuel if she's a drinker).

nightsuperstephen

nightsuperstephen

Advanced Member

• 1263 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:When does inexpensive become cheap

Surly if the engine was being starved of lubricant there would be some sort of warning on the dash' why didn't the oil pressure light come on?

MrFlibble

MrFlibble

Advanced Member

• 640 posts
  • LocationBath
  • Vehicle Driven:Radish, rhubard, radical, Ribble Valley.
What caused it? Did some idiot forget to reconnect a sensor after doing some work on the engine?

Roger

Roger

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3799 posts
  • LocationDudley, West Midlands. UK
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 (63) Sandero Stepway Laureate dCi 90 in Azurite Blue. Supplied with a full size 5 spoke spare wheel & tyre with a 80 km/h sticker ! Now driving with a permanently lit dashboard !
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 50.35

What caused it? Did some idiot forget to reconnect a sensor after doing some work on the engine?

Surely the oil level was not checked on a regular basis, that's what a 'dip stick' is for. Or blue smoke must have emitted from the exhaust for awhile  ?  :o

My Stepway ? I'm lovin' it !! :D  :D 

MrFlibble

MrFlibble

Advanced Member

• 640 posts
  • LocationBath
Depends, if it was leaking out of a crack in the block or a hole where something should have been you wouldn't necessarily get blue smoke until really late on.

What perks my interest is that there was no light on, these days if a sensor is not connected up its a fault. On my old 74 twin cam not remembering to screw the oil pressure sensor resulted in a wet engine bay and a pool of hot oil on the ground.

Yeah. I did that once.

Roger

Roger

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3799 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 (63) Sandero Stepway Laureate dCi 90 in Azurite Blue. Supplied with a full size 5 spoke spare wheel & tyre with a 80 km/h sticker ! Now driving with a permanently lit dashboard !
  • My Fuel Logs

Depends, if it was leaking out of a crack in the block or a hole where something should have been you wouldn't necessarily get blue smoke until really late on.

What perks my interest is that there was no light on, these days if a sensor is not connected up its a fault. On my old 74 twin cam not remembering to screw the oil pressure sensor resulted in a wet engine bay and a pool of hot oil on the ground.

Yeah. I did that once.

Fair comment, but I thought the engine seemed relatively dry for having a leak and just looked baked ! You would have thought there was oil on the ground though. Perhaps it had just been serviced and they forgot to put oil in it !! :o  

Roger

Roger

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3799 posts
  • My Fuel Logs

It's made me go and check my oil level !! All OK !!  ;)

MrFlibble

MrFlibble

Advanced Member

• 640 posts
  • LocationBath
Me too, not a drop used but it's a DCi anyhow!

My level of competence at engine repair is low but it taught me a lot about what not to do.

Nessi

Nessi

Advanced Member

• 2808 posts

It's made me go and check my oil level !! All OK !!  ;)

HaHa, Its strange when we see something terrible like this, It makes us all think that we better check our oil to make sure the level is ok.... I bet there is a lot of oil levels checked today mine including lol.

It is so sad to see someone end up with a knackered engine like that,

• Agree x 1

Roger

Roger

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3799 posts
  • My Fuel Logs

HaHa, Its strange when we see something terrible like this, It makes us all think that we better check our oil to make sure the level is ok.... I bet there is a lot of oil levels checked today mine including lol.

It is so sad to see someone end up with a knackered engine like that,

Not in the UK though, as it's a 1.2 TCe !!  ;)

• Agree x 1

Royale431

Royale431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1356 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh
  • Vehicle Driven:2008 Kia Cee'd SW / Perforated 1998 Honda Civic 1.5i. When the latter finally gives up the ghost, a Sandero / Stepway is probably on-the-cards.

Me too, x 2! Frightening to see what can happen. It'll be interesting to find out what the outcome of this is. From what information there is, it does unfortunately sound as though over-reliance on electronics is at least a factor, but who knows.

PARENTAL ADVISORY: Balanced Content

Nessi

Nessi

Advanced Member

• 2808 posts

Me too, x 2! Frightening to see what can happen. It'll be interesting to find out what the outcome of this is. From what information there is, it does unfortunately sound as though over-reliance on electronics is at least a factor, but who knows.

One of the major pitfalls of modern day technology in cars, Its great when it works but when it fails it can turn into a absolute nightmare. What I find just as alarming is the modern day vehicle technician who has to ultimately rely on the vehicles technology to provide them with a fault code for them to diagnose a fault... When a vehicle has a fault and no fault code is generated it is highly likely that the fault would not be detected by the run of the mill vehicle technician.
The op's vehicle, did not even display the oil warning light, Was it something simple like a blown bulb, or it could have been something a vehicle technician had missed after seeing a fault code, then clearing & ignoring it when he could not find the cause. Or was it something to do with a technology failure or fault.
Who knows with modern cars there is just far too much to go wrong compared to old cars where a vehicle mechanic could use his ears to find a fault.
  • Agree x 1

MrFlibble

MrFlibble

Advanced Member

• 640 posts
  • LocationBath
I used to find faults by looking at what was directly above the patch of engine oil/brake fluid/antifreeze.

Royale431

Royale431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1356 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh
  • Vehicle Driven:2008 Kia Cee'd SW / Perforated 1998 Honda Civic 1.5i. When the latter finally gives up the ghost, a Sandero / Stepway is probably on-the-cards.

One of the major pitfalls of modern day technology in cars, Its great when it works but when it fails it can turn into a absolute nightmare. What I find just as alarming is the modern day vehicle technician who has to ultimately rely on the vehicles technology to provide them with a fault code for them to diagnose a fault... When a vehicle has a fault and no fault code is generated it is highly likely that the fault would not be detected by the run of the mill vehicle technician.
The op's vehicle, did not even display the oil warning light, Was it something simple like a blown bulb, or it could have been something a vehicle technician had missed after seeing a fault code, then clearing & ignoring it when he could not find the cause. Or was it something to do with a technology failure or fault.
Who knows with modern cars there is just far too much to go wrong compared to old cars where a vehicle mechanic could use his ears to find a fault.

Totally agree. 

A perfect example of this, albeit relating to buses, rather than cars:

When I first started in my current job, if a bus went wrong and had to be attended by a Volvo fitter, a bloke with black hands and greasy overalls came out in a van loaded up with tools and spare parts. Nowadays it's a pimply teenager in collar and tie with a laptop....

Royale431

Royale431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1356 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

I used to find faults by looking at what was directly above the patch of engine oil/brake fluid/antifreeze.

That's way too sensible for the technology-age...  :P

• Agree x 1

Nessi

Nessi

Advanced Member

• 2808 posts

Totally agree. 

A perfect example of this, albeit relating to buses, rather than cars:

When I first started in my current job, if a bus went wrong and had to be attended by a Volvo fitter, a bloke with black hands and greasy overalls came out in a van loaded up with tools and spare parts. Nowadays it's a pimply teenager in collar and tie with a laptop....

Equiped with a very scarce toolbox and no parts, Except a mobile phone to call in the recovery truck.
  • Agree x 2

Nessi

Nessi

Advanced Member

• 2808 posts

I am one of them people than also have a habit of frequently looking under my car for any signs of leaks from anywhere, Even just walking across a car park towards my car I always seen to have a subconscious look under my car just out of habit.
I remember the first time I ever got A/C, I had been on a long run, Parked up miles away from home I was walking back to my car and seen a big puddle just under the front, It was funny after I found out what it actually was, but it was not at the time I literally panicked thinking I was not going to get home HaHa.

Roger

Roger

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3799 posts
  • My Fuel Logs

I am one of them people than also have a habit of frequently looking under my car for any signs of leaks from anywhere, Even just walking across a car park towards my car I always seen to have a subconscious look under my car just out of habit.
I remember the first time I ever got A/C, I had been on a long run, Parked up miles away from home I was walking back to my car and seen a big puddle just under the front, It was funny after I found out what it actually was, but it was not at the time I literally panicked thinking I was not going to get home HaHa.

Old habits die hard ! We must have been brought up in the same era !!   ;)

• Agree x 1

MrFlibble

MrFlibble

Advanced Member

• 640 posts
  • LocationBath
First time I had aircon I was driving near death Valley. Stopped to take a picture and panicked when I saw the car had tiddled itself.

I did look around for a big rusty old truck, just in case ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users