SatNav favorites Problems

SatNav Sat Favorites problems dacia stereo

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Clintcanoe

Clintcanoe

• 4 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Logan

Hi, all I'm trying to transfer all my favourites from my Garmin SatNav to my Dacia I just need to know what format they need to be in and where to put them on the USB key first.

I know this is possible since I transferred them from my old TomTom, You can see how to do it here https://www.allbarone.co.uk/poiif you're interested.

If anyone knows how to do this on my Dacia please help, the tech support department was useless on this and just tried to sell me maps department should be renamed to sales.

thanks 

Clint

spencernj

spencernj

Advanced Member

• 103 posts
  • LocationFrance
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster 2 4x4 1.5DCi Prestige in Atacama Orange
Don't think this is possible in built in units. The built in type day nav as part of an integrated multi media system have very different architecture to the lower cost clip on one's which for some makes do let you import your own data. There is no import/export facility built in.

I have never come across a built in unit that lets you load in your own data or mess about with the built in databases.

When you do an update, I have had a look at what is on the USB and it's some sort of single compressed proprietary database that is unlikely you would be able to hack and it may be encrypted anyway as the data is the property of LG and/or Dacia and they won't want anyone else using it.
  • Agree x 1

Clintcanoe

Clintcanoe

• 4 posts

thank you, but as a programmer that used to program call loggers getting info from phone systems I don't think there is much that's impossible, and I think if they're limiting themselves this way, they're shooting themselves in the foot. People will just go and get Android Stereos instead which will let you upload things like it.

Clintcanoe

Clintcanoe

• 4 posts

thank you, but as a programmer that used to program call loggers getting info from phone systems I don't think there is much that's impossible with AI systems, and I think if they're limiting themselves this way, they're shooting themselves in the foot. People will just go and get Android Stereos instead which will let you upload things like it.

spencernj

spencernj

Advanced Member

• 103 posts
  • LocationFrance

There is a big difference between whats in theory possible and the amount of time and programming effort you would have to make something possible. Thinks like DES Encryption are in theory easily broken you just need tons and tons of computing power and aeons of time to brute force hack it. It would be the same for the file structure of the Media Nav unit. 

I'm just about to do a sat nav upgrade as there is a full  new set of maps for me, so I'll have a look of the data and make a copy to see if we can make head or tale of it. If its encrypted regardless of yours or my programming skills it will probably be a pointless exercise.   

• Agree x 1

spencernj

spencernj

Advanced Member

• 103 posts
  • LocationFrance

Ok, so got around to doing a map upgrade. So after the data was written to the USB stick I made a copy of it and examined it under linux. There is a POI directory and in that a POI file for each country you are updating the maps for. So for me there was a France.poi file.  It was 48Mb!! and I have examined it and can not make head nor tale of it. Its not a text file like some of the "clip on" systems can use. Its some sort of binary file or database file (or more likely encrypted to the specific device I have so these files cannot be shared, otherwise I could share my French maps with other Media Nav people who had not paid for them). I've done a hex dump and there is not a single discernible readable string of  text that make any sense, so definitely looks encrypted.   So loading your own POI doesn't look easy do-able.

• Useful x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SatNav, Sat, Favorites, problems, dacia, stereo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users