Photo

7 year old duster written off for rust

Rust Duster

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Jenshut

Jenshut

• 2 posts
My seven year old duster, (which I’ve had from new) has been written off by the garage due to rust underneath. Is this normal? Any suggestions as I can’t afford a new car!

dgc

dgc

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 1218 posts
  • LocationLea Valley
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster '13 1.5dci 4x2 Stepway '14 1.5dci both Laurettes
Garage View Garage

My seven year old duster, (which I’ve had from new) has been written off by the garage due to rust underneath. Is this normal? Any suggestions as I can’t afford a new car!

Was it not picked up by the dealership, should have been called for at least a wax job, my 13 plate was checked a few times hence the cavity wax job, plus I have a look as well, also the checks to cover the 6 year rust thro' warranty.

Sent from my Crystal using Tapatalk

Jenshut

Jenshut

• 2 posts
Dgc, it been serviced in dealership at least twice a year ever since we got it. It passed an mot last March with advisories on the tyres which I’ve replaced, but no mentions apart from that!

Roger

Roger

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3877 posts
  • LocationDudley, West Midlands. UK
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 (63) Sandero Stepway Laureate dCi 90 in Azurite Blue. Supplied with a full size 5 spoke spare wheel & tyre with a 80 km/h sticker ! Now driving with a permanently lit dashboard !
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 50.371

Dgc, it been serviced in dealership at least twice a year ever since we got it. It passed an mot last March with advisories on the tyres which I’ve replaced, but no mentions apart from that!

You could try Dacia Customer Relations on 0344 335 1111 and see what they have to say 1) about the rust & 2) about the dealer not pointing it out to you. It didn't go rusty over night, you are one of the unfortunate ones who got one of the Indian imports that missed the rust treatment. However Dacia should have been in contact with you in the past to get it rectified before it came to this. Point that out to them !! :(

• Like x 1

My Stepway ? I'm lovin' it !! :D  :D 

dgc

dgc

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 1218 posts
  • LocationLea Valley
Garage View Garage

You could try Dacia Customer Relations on 0344 335 1111 and see what they have to say 1) about the rust & 2) about the dealer not pointing it out to you. It didn't go rusty over night, you are one of the unfortunate ones who got one of the Indian imports that missed the rust treatment. However Dacia should have been in contact with you in the past to get it rectified before it came to this. Point that out to them !! :(

Totally agree, mine is an Indian version so kept a eye on it myself. Dealership should have kept a eye on it for you as a known problem. I have a slight bit of rust on the manufacturing holes in the bonnet underside structure but I had a go at it myself along with the dealership recall
cavity wax job. Mind you was it Nissan that had major rust on their larger 4x4 a while back.

Mr Sheen

Mr Sheen

Advanced Member

• 156 posts
  • LocationSW England
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 Duster Lauréate 1.5 dCi 4WD with DAB upgrade.

Roger is right in saying that your Duster didn't go rusty over night - BUT - if the affected areas are cavities rusting from the inside out, then it is very likely that those cavities were structurally & irreversibly compromised way before anything would have been visible externally. By the time rust is detected externally, that area is normally beyond salvage - major surgery is usually the only safe & permanent solution.

That said, I'm very sorry to learn of this problem. I'm aware that some of us have rust issues but I was not aware of anything so severe  sad.png 

dgc

dgc

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 1218 posts
  • LocationLea Valley
Garage View Garage

Roger is right in saying that your Duster didn't go rusty over night - BUT - if the affected areas are cavities rusting from the inside out, then it is very likely that those cavities were structurally & irreversibly compromised way before anything would have been visible externally. By the time rust is detected externally, that area is normally beyond salvage - major surgery is usually the only safe & permanent solution.

That said, I'm very sorry to learn of this problem. I'm aware that some of us have rust issues but I was not aware of anything so severe sad.png

It may not have been visible, but Dacia must have been aware of the problems otherwise why recall cars for cavity wax treatment.

• Agree x 1

Mr Sheen

Mr Sheen

Advanced Member

• 156 posts
  • LocationSW England

It may not have been visible, but Dacia must have been aware of the problems otherwise why recall cars for cavity wax treatment.

No argument re Dacia being aware of the overall rust problem & their solution to it - I was just trying to offer a possible reason as to why no one had identified this rust problem beforehand - at the service or last MoT for instance.

My apologies if this link has been referenced before but if not done so already, Indian manufactured Duster owners might like to read this:

https://www.theguard...l-india-romania

Daedalus

Daedalus

Advanced Member

• 1443 posts
  • LocationSheffield
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2

Beware the troll.

Mr Sheen

Mr Sheen

Advanced Member

• 156 posts
  • LocationSW England

?

Daedalus

Daedalus

Advanced Member

• 1443 posts
  • LocationSheffield

?

My seven year old duster, (which I’ve had from new)

A 2011 Duster in the UK?

it been serviced in dealership at least twice a year ever since we got it. It passed an mot last March with advisories on the tyres

14 x12K = 168K miles. Only an advisor on tyres!

tigersaw

tigersaw

Advanced Member

• 354 posts
  • LocationMid Wales
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 Access Petrol

A 2011 Duster in the UK?

Mines 6 - purchased Nov 1012 and supposedly the first UK purchase

2013-2020

2013-2020

• 1 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh
  • Vehicle Driven:dacia duster

7year old dacia duster written off due to underneath corrosion

Hi, I am currently having the same problems.  my car is 63 Reg, bought from new. serviced once a year and had the corrosion checks ticked off the service book.  care now has serious corrosion suspension, break pipes and exhaust mount broken due to corrosion.  underneath cavity, bolts all broken due to corrosion.  Dealer could not MOT.  Dacia team currently refusing to cover it under the extended warranty as they are stating its not the body.

i want to know what you did, cause i think both you and me are not the only people to experience this problem.  .  

please if anyone is experiencing the same problem get in touch.  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6754.jpg
  • IMG_6758.jpg

Daedalus

Daedalus

Advanced Member

• 1443 posts
  • LocationSheffield

You do not state the mileage.

What exactly are you complaining about? Is it having to replace brake pipes, the exhaust, the shocks, or suspension bushings ?

All of which are to be expected to need replacing on an older car.

• Agree x 1

dgc

dgc

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 1218 posts
  • LocationLea Valley
Garage View Garage

As Daedalus has commented, doe's the MOT report state there is major corrosion on the body structure or is it just on the brake pipes, exhaust, shocks, or suspension?

impvan

impvan

• 13 posts
  • LocationUsually Caernarfon, often Scotland, sometimes Romania.

"Written off"? According to who?  That's a question of value; MOT only looks at safety.

If they've not MOT'd it, take it somewhere else and you're not out of pocket...

Mrs Impvan's mk3.5 Fiesta had all sorts of weird and wonderful - and expensive - works needed for its MOTs at the dealership.  She started taking it to an independent and it never failed again until scrapped at 199k.

I simply wouldn't trust the say-so of any dealership on anything!

The sooner the UK moves to a European-style MOT system the better IMO. Separate the safety element from the repairs element, no vested interest on either side.

Royale431

Royale431

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1365 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh
  • Vehicle Driven:2008 Kia Cee'd SW / Perforated 1998 Honda Civic 1.5i. When the latter finally gives up the ghost, a Sandero / Stepway is probably on-the-cards.

The sooner the UK moves to a European-style MOT system the better IMO. Separate the safety element from the repairs element, no vested interest on either side.

Agree with you on this. I don't know if this is Scotland only, or if it's UK wide, but we can actually book tests at Local Authority testing facilities. These exist primarily for the upkeep of their own fleets, and you are legally entitled to have any private vehicle tested there within the categories covered. As they do not carry out repairs, there is no vested interest in exaggerating problems or finding ones that don't exist - but at the same time they go 100% by the book.

PARENTAL ADVISORY: Balanced Content

impvan

impvan

• 13 posts
  • LocationUsually Caernarfon, often Scotland, sometimes Romania.

In Wales you can certainly book commercials in for MOT at the council fleet garage - took my transit tipper there for years (Class 7) although I now take it to BT/Openreach...

DMH20

DMH20

• 2 posts
  • LocationNorfolk
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster

Have just joined the forum after recently buying an 2013 Duster and am somewhat alarmed after reading about this rust problem with Indian made models. Would like to find out where mine was made, can someone give me advise how to do this please

Roger

Roger

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3877 posts
  • LocationDudley, West Midlands. UK
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 (63) Sandero Stepway Laureate dCi 90 in Azurite Blue. Supplied with a full size 5 spoke spare wheel & tyre with a 80 km/h sticker ! Now driving with a permanently lit dashboard !
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 50.371

Have just joined the forum after recently buying an 2013 Duster and am somewhat alarmed after reading about this rust problem with Indian made models. Would like to find out where mine was made, can someone give me advise how to do this please

If it's 2013 it was certainly built in India. Not all Indian model were affected, only a batch that missed out on the rust proofing. have a good look around it, under the bonnet around the edges of the doors etc, if it's fine it's OK ! wink.png

My Stepway ? I'm lovin' it !! :D  :D 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rust, Duster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users