duster spare wheel

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

dondunnion

dondunnion

• 10 posts
  • Locationireland
  • Vehicle Driven:opel insignia

do dusters come with a spare wheel or only a inflation kit .? 

dgc

dgc

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 1218 posts
  • LocationLea Valley
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster '13 1.5dci 4x2 Stepway '14 1.5dci both Laurettes
Garage View Garage

Our Duster came with the squirt kit, I brought and fitted the spare wheel kit to it, our Stepway came with the spare wheel kit fitted. If buying second hand it's down to if the first owner had the spare wheel option fitted.  

Mr Sheen

Mr Sheen

Advanced Member

• 156 posts
  • LocationSW England
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 Duster Lauréate 1.5 dCi 4WD with DAB upgrade.

Series 1 (2013-2018) 4WD versions came with a spare steel wheel & jack included as standard - the 2WD versions had an inflation kit as standard.

The reviews I've read suggest Dacia have carried this theme over to the Series 2 (2018-) too.

Paul1983

Paul1983

• 2 posts
  • LocationSheffield
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster
Hi,
Where did you get your spare wheel kit for the duster? Was it easy to fit the cradle.

Many thanks

hooliopaulio

hooliopaulio

Advanced Member

• 56 posts
  • LocationSouth Yorkshire
  • Vehicle Driven:Dacia Duster

Someone on the forum is selling a full spare wheel kit https://www.daciafor...l-kit-for-sale/

No idea on fitting, as I've never done it (don't have a spare), but it doesn't look like it can be too difficult.  Also, according to another forum post on here if you have a 2018+ adblue diesel the adblue tank is in the way and prevents them from being fitted.

s3dbw

s3dbw

Advanced Member

• 32 posts
  • LocationScotland

On the 2018+ Diesel models there is an internal wheel well. Got the spare as an option on a 4x2

• Like x 1

Tonkatruck

Tonkatruck

• 20 posts
  • LocationCambridge
  • Vehicle Driven:DCi Duster
I have a 2019 DCi 4x2 with the aforementioned adblue tank meaning i can’t fit the old style cradle, apparently mine needs a winch style which hoists the wheel up into the well.

Dacia want £300 for the part and £300 to fit it (that’s without the cost of a spare wheel!)

Has anyone found an aftermarket alternative?
Or fitted one of the new style winch cradles?
I really need a spare wheel but £600 is too much.
Currently I’m carrying around a spare strapped into one of the rear seats...

dgc

dgc

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 1218 posts
  • LocationLea Valley
Garage View Garage

One bit at a time, try allcarpartsfast and see what the price of the cradle, etc etc is, then word with oponeo (https://www.oponeo.co.uk/) and see what they could do a wheel for.

dgc

dgc

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 1218 posts
  • LocationLea Valley
Garage View Garage

Sorry you have a wheel forget oponeo.

giddy

giddy

• 2 posts
  • LocationScotland

I have a 2019 DCi 4x2 with the aforementioned adblue tank meaning i can’t fit the old style cradle, apparently mine needs a winch style which hoists the wheel up into the well.

Dacia want £300 for the part and £300 to fit it (that’s without the cost of a spare wheel!)

Has anyone found an aftermarket alternative?
Or fitted one of the new style winch cradles?
I really need a spare wheel but £600 is too much.
Currently I’m carrying around a spare strapped into one of the rear seats...

Fitting the winch is 10 mins effort. You will need 3 x 8mm nyloc nuts and 2 x 8mm x 20mm bolts.

Karl_Hunt

Karl_Hunt

Advanced Member

• 83 posts
I didn't pay for a spare wheel but it came with one anyway (their mistake). The dealer noticed when he handed it over to me, he said I was lucky lol. Good job I have it as I used it a few weeks ago.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

riccol1966

riccol1966

• 4 posts

4x2 duster diesel late 2018.. I ordered 4 winter tyres and i had to pay for this silly winch which is very awkward as it is only accessed from below the car (nut in boot is turned to release the winch). I use one of the spare tyres and made up a small dolly which i keep in the boot because when the tire is winched down it scrapes along the ground and is difficult to access and pull out, and feels like the winch head will end up twisted or damaged without using this dolly. Really awkward (and expensive) system..  

Karl_Hunt

Karl_Hunt

Advanced Member

• 83 posts

4x2 duster diesel late 2018.. I ordered 4 winter tyres and i had to pay for this silly winch which is very awkward as it is only accessed from below the car (nut in boot is turned to release the winch). I use one of the spare tyres and made up a small dolly which i keep in the boot because when the tire is winched down it scrapes along the ground and is difficult to access and pull out, and feels like the winch head will end up twisted or damaged without using this dolly. Really awkward (and expensive) system..

It's fairly common. I've had a few cars with the frame underneath and a nut in the boot.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
  • Agree x 2

Mr Sheen

Mr Sheen

Advanced Member

• 156 posts
  • LocationSW England
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 Duster Lauréate 1.5 dCi 4WD with DAB upgrade.
My 1966 Mk1 Cortina estate has its spare wheel underside with the release nut in boot - nothing new under the sun.
  • Agree x 1

riccol1966

riccol1966

• 4 posts

sorry for late reply, it still makes no sense to me that they inverted the spare wheel storage, I can understand this was probably to do with 4x4 options, adblue tank etc, but in my 4x2 I don't see why they made it this way. It's just really difficult. God forbid my wife gets a puncture! At least in most cars you just take the spare wheel out of the boot nd you're done.  

I'm also curious as to whether the winching system will stay taut over time. Love my duster (now that I have android auto working), but hate this spare wheel malarkey, and its just bad design in the end.  

• Agree x 1

spencernj

spencernj

Advanced Member

• 103 posts
  • LocationFrance
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster 2 4x4 1.5DCi Prestige in Atacama Orange
Had the same winch system on my previous Kia Sorento. Never had a problem with it in the 8 years I owned it.

Redstu

Redstu

Advanced Member

• 47 posts
  • LocationIreland
  • Vehicle Driven:Dacia Duster Comfort 1.5 Diesel 115HP

Riccol1996 You are bang on the money. The spare wheel system used on the Duster 2 is a joke. Yes, this system was used historically, but that does not mean it is the best option. 

These winch systems are an afterthought to allow car companies to lighten their steel/metal usage for the purposes of economy ratings on their base models. 

Car companies can claim x/km per litre or mpg without a wheel and cage or wheel well. 

But where the rubber meets the road it does not work, so consumers are left to retrofit systems at an extra expense and inconvenience to them. This is a regressive approach and in many ways a race to the bottom. 

I switched from a 2018 Duster Mark 1 to a 2019 Mark 2 Diesel model. Whilst I was happy to learn the spare wheel was the same I was deflated (half chuckle) to learn that the cradle I had bought for the Mark 1 would not fit due to the annoying extra that was the AdBlue tank. This is not the case on the petrol models. 

The winch can and does get covered in mud and every other damn thing on the road and if we believe the motor industries stats on the matter, we get a puncture every 5 years on average. Averages are of course misleading, and take into account millions of kilometres travelled on motorways by drivers which means the rural guy will get a puncture more frequently, but if we go to our spare after 5 years there will be a hell of a job to release this mess via a winch. 

To sum it up,many people have been left very stranded with a pathetic puncture repair kit that was not fit for purpose and not just Dacia drivers either. Mercedes is another such brand that likes to strut their eco credentials and offer the same solution as Dacia in some models ( but they also have run flat tyres which are not commonly available on our Dacias. The irony is the Duster could do with a little ballast in this regard and a 25kg boost with tyre and cradle hung low would help with its stability especially in the lower centre of gravity region.

Seamaster

Seamaster

• 23 posts
  • LocationSummerisle
  • Vehicle Driven:TBC

I can’t be doing with those useless cans of shaving foam. Anything’s better than that.

dgc

dgc

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 1218 posts
  • LocationLea Valley
Garage View Garage

I can’t be doing with those useless cans of shaving foam. Anything’s better than that.

I use american Dynaplugs myself, used them for years, just pull small nails or unscrew small screws out and punch the plug straight in with the tool. Taken longer to write this than put the plug in.

Sent from my Crystal using Tapatalk
  • Useful x 1

paulhipwood

paulhipwood

• 10 posts
  • LocationMidlands

My daughter has just bought a 2019 Duster 1.3 Tce 130 Prestige.

We want to fit a spare tyre, looking underneath it seems to have the fittings for a "normal" carrier.

Does anyone know if the facelift model has different fitting to the 2017 model.

best regards

Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users