Advanced Member

• Members
  • 979 posts
  • LocationSussex
  • Vehicle Driven:Phase 2 2014 Duster Laureate 1.5 dCi 4x4
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 43.611
Garage View Garage

The topic might be a little misleading but I thought it worthy of sharing. My Duster is 6 next month and due a service then, It went into my local stealer for warranty work. The missus dropped it off, not knowing what was to be done. The garage rang her and told her that it was serviced and ready for collection! Long story, but they had given it an intermediate 6 year service (oil and filter) and after complaining and them refusing to release the car, I got the service for "free" as it wasn't going in for one!

I made a Subject Access Request for data relating to me and the vehicle and I thought I would share what the intermediate service cost is to the garage. The stealer charges £197 inc VAT for this service:

All costs are ex VAT.

R82 00 768 927 FLIER OIL - £7.89

R11 02 655 06R WASHER-CAP SEALING - £1.54

OM150887 Mobile Super 3000 4.5ltrs - £8.24

Total £17.67 (£21.20 inc VAT which the garage reclaims anyway)

The car was there for an hour and that included a 4 min video. Perhaps £20 per hour for a well paid "technician"? I say technician as he totally missed the fact that the air intake hose was not connected to the air filter housing despite removing the filter and proudly announcing on the video that it was "dirty" and that consideration should be given to replacing it (not due yet) and that there was no history of the fuel filter being replaced so that should be done as well. (diesel filter replaced by them 2 years ago).

It went back in a week later for the warranty work (replacing the light stalk for the horn being inoperable) and billed Dacia £128.04 ex VAT for the work. Helpfully also quoted me £122.38 to replace a £15 door seal!

Not a bad profit margin on the service cost!

NeeK

NeeK

Advanced Member

• 82 posts
  • LocationUndeva
  • Vehicle Driven:Dacia Duster 4x4 110HP Laureate 2017
I don't want to defend any dealer, because sometime I am in same situation.
Also I know that some dealers have high percetange of profit. In some desk I have seen written "We practice 0 - 500% ..."
For some small jobs, I prefer do myself. But many jobs are qualified and need a lot of research and experience to make it in 5 min what other do in hours. I am not speaking about changing a lamp. So not always the time consumed for any operation must have same price.
But if you are in warranty you don't have to pay for what is proved is from their fault.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-A705FN folosind Tapatalk

Roger

Roger

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3875 posts
  • LocationDudley, West Midlands. UK
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 (63) Sandero Stepway Laureate dCi 90 in Azurite Blue. Supplied with a full size 5 spoke spare wheel & tyre with a 80 km/h sticker ! Now driving with a permanently lit dashboard !
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 50.371

The topic might be a little misleading but I thought it worthy of sharing. My Duster is 6 next month and due a service then, It went into my local stealer for warranty work. The missus dropped it off, not knowing what was to be done. The garage rang her and told her that it was serviced and ready for collection! Long story, but they had given it an intermediate 6 year service (oil and filter) and after complaining and them refusing to release the car, I got the service for "free" as it wasn't going in for one!

I made a Subject Access Request for data relating to me and the vehicle and I thought I would share what the intermediate service cost is to the garage. The stealer charges £197 inc VAT for this service:

All costs are ex VAT.

R82 00 768 927 FLIER OIL - £7.89

R11 02 655 06R WASHER-CAP SEALING - £1.54

OM150887 Mobile Super 3000 4.5ltrs - £8.24

Total £17.67 (£21.20 inc VAT which the garage reclaims anyway)

The car was there for an hour and that included a 4 min video. Perhaps £20 per hour for a well paid "technician"? I say technician as he totally missed the fact that the air intake hose was not connected to the air filter housing despite removing the filter and proudly announcing on the video that it was "dirty" and that consideration should be given to replacing it (not due yet) and that there was no history of the fuel filter being replaced so that should be done as well. (diesel filter replaced by them 2 years ago).

It went back in a week later for the warranty work (replacing the light stalk for the horn being inoperable) and billed Dacia £128.04 ex VAT for the work. Helpfully also quoted me £122.38 to replace a £15 door seal!

Not a bad profit margin on the service cost!

Because of low mileage (only 2500 miles) since my last service in November 2019, I took my car to my local, VAT registered, independent just for oil and filter change. I supplied the ELF RN0720 oil and MANN filter. He charged me £25.00 labour ! wink.png

• Like x 1

My Stepway ? I'm lovin' it !! :D  :D 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users