• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

coconino

coconino

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 37 posts
  • LocationThames Valley
  • Vehicle Driven:My Wife's Stepway Laureate petrol with her permission!

Having heard about (on Renault & Dacia) and then experienced the dash board display disappearing in the shadow as you drive along in daytime, I decided to mount a led light on the steering cowling to illuminate the speedo. I wanted the led to go out when the “sidelights” were turned on. (an earlier post mentioned the DRL’s)

I decided to wire the led in similarly to the ignition/battery light on vehicles “back in the day”!

This meant I required an ignition live wire and a sidelight live wire. Both exist on the light switch multiplug. Yellow wire is switched by the ignition (poss. an accessory wire) and the Blue wire is switched by the sidelight switch.

By connecting the led live wire to the Yellow wire and the led negative wire to the Blue wire, the led will illuminate when the ignition is on getting its negative (earth) via the Blue wire until the sidelights are switched on. This will give the led two live feeds and the led will not illuminate. (a bulb could be used instead of the led but with this wiring it is likely to come on if the sidelights are left on. i.e. when parked).

The led I used is a motor cycle rear number plate light/mounting bolt.  I mounted it off center to try and avoid any direct reflection back at the driver. If you try this yourself; I would suggest avoiding cutting into the vehicle wires by the switch, especially with the reports of dodgy switches. I altered a couple of male spade terminals that push and lock in the rear of the multiplug.                                               (Remember any work you carry out is at your own risk).

The upper cowling comes off if you put the wiper switch all the way down and the push the cowling up with your finger in the area above the wiper switch stalk (no screws).  The light switch multiplug has a spring finger that has to be squeezed in as you pull the plug off. I used small screwdriver to squeeze it in.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG
  • 3.JPG
  • 4.JPG

• Like x 1

Sometimes dealing with Main Stealers is a bit like picking up a Turd by the clean end!

Psy

Psy

Advanced Member

• 39 posts
Nicely done mate, the question is why is that issue exist anyway?
Why and when the dash lights disappeared?
Are the headlights turned off as well while the dashboard dissapeard?
I've noticed that only the left/right signals appears while its happened (while using it of course)
Some got their handle replaced by dealer but some report back its still an issue..

Nessi

Nessi

Advanced Member

• 2808 posts

Nicely done mate, the question is why is that issue exist anyway?
Why and when the dash lights disappeared?
Are the headlights turned off as well while the dashboard dissapeard?
I've noticed that only the left/right signals appears while its happened (while using it of course)
Some got their handle replaced by dealer but some report back its still an issue..

The dashboard does not disappear as such, It just has no daytime illumination so can be difficult to see dash/clocks at times.

When you turn on ignition in daytime dash does not light up - this is not a fault

When you turn on side lights/headlights dash lights up.

The dash light not lighting is not connected to at all to the other light issue that you have mentioned, Where some owners have had their indicator stalk replaced.

v12nut

v12nut

Advanced Member

• 183 posts
  • LocationSpain
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster 2016 Ambiance Euro 6 Tce125

Yup! there is a whole thread on this very subject

http://www.daciaforu...mination/page-2

a very nice solution it was too just a pity the wiring in my 2016 Duster seems to be a bit different therefore I have not yet been able to do this mod to my car. trust me I would love to be able to do this.

chees

coconino

coconino

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 37 posts
  • LocationThames Valley
  • Vehicle Driven:My Wife's Stepway Laureate petrol with her permission!

Hi

You are correct Nessi, the dash disappears I think due to the binnacle creating a shadow in the sunlight. If the daylight is bright enough the shadow hides the speedo & rev counter pretty much totally. From memory, when it happens, the sun is too the front of the vehicle.

A few months ago I was talking to an English chap who grew up in Spain and worked out there as a vehicle technician. I explained the problem without identifying the make of vehicle. He replied, “Is a Renault by any chance”?  

A neighbour also reports the same problem with a Renault he owned a while back

Richard.

• Agree x 1

Sometimes dealing with Main Stealers is a bit like picking up a Turd by the clean end!

Bob1001

Bob1001

• 1 posts

I have just joined this forum but it is probably the only thing that annoys me with the stepway.

Looking at the EU vehicle requirements they possibly should have been recalled.

However the easy ? thing I would like to do is to wire the running lights to the dash lights so the instruments are illuminated on turning on the ignition.

I usually have side lights on as it is quite nice to see the Speedo.

Does anyone know how to do this.

If I have to take the dashboard apart I will also disconnect the annoying gear change indicator, technically it is probably at the correct time but can't look down the road to know I want a different gear.

v12nut

v12nut

Advanced Member

• 183 posts
  • LocationSpain
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster 2016 Ambiance Euro 6 Tce125

I have just joined this forum but it is probably the only thing that annoys me with the stepway.

Looking at the EU vehicle requirements they possibly should have been recalled.

However the easy ? thing I would like to do is to wire the running lights to the dash lights so the instruments are illuminated on turning on the ignition.

I usually have side lights on as it is quite nice to see the Speedo.

Does anyone know how to do this.

Bob, there is a link two posts up from yours that tells how to do it.

cheers

exmusso

exmusso

• 16 posts
  • LocationKeith, Scotland
  • Vehicle Driven:Sandero Stepway Laureate
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 51.959

Having heard about (on Renault & Dacia) and then experienced the dash board display disappearing in the shadow as you drive along in daytime, I decided to mount a led light on the steering cowling to illuminate the speedo. I wanted the led to go out when the “sidelights” were turned on. (an earlier post mentioned the DRL’s)

I decided to wire the led in similarly to the ignition/battery light on vehicles “back in the day”!

This meant I required an ignition live wire and a sidelight live wire. Both exist on the light switch multiplug. Yellow wire is switched by the ignition (poss. an accessory wire) and the Blue wire is switched by the sidelight switch.

By connecting the led live wire to the Yellow wire and the led negative wire to the Blue wire, the led will illuminate when the ignition is on getting its negative (earth) via the Blue wire until the sidelights are switched on. This will give the led two live feeds and the led will not illuminate. (a bulb could be used instead of the led but with this wiring it is likely to come on if the sidelights are left on. i.e. when parked).

The led I used is a motor cycle rear number plate light/mounting bolt.  I mounted it off center to try and avoid any direct reflection back at the driver. If you try this yourself; I would suggest avoiding cutting into the vehicle wires by the switch, especially with the reports of dodgy switches. I altered a couple of male spade terminals that push and lock in the rear of the multiplug.                                               (Remember any work you carry out is at your own risk).

The upper cowling comes off if you put the wiper switch all the way down and the push the cowling up with your finger in the area above the wiper switch stalk (no screws).  The light switch multiplug has a spring finger that has to be squeezed in as you pHiull the plug off. I used small screwdriver to squeeze it in.

Hi,

Have carried out this on my Stepway and working fine.

I just got a black plastic motorbike LED from Ebay but looks OK.

Light goes out OK when sidelights switched on so very pleased. Thanks for an easy fix.

Cheers,

Alan

Daedalus

Daedalus

Advanced Member

• 1606 posts
  • LocationSheffield
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2

Did you consider the Diode OR Gate mod to pin 20 of the black connector to UCH as from the german forum. If so I would be interested in the wiring colours and the voltage on pin 20 when the sidelights switch.

exmusso

exmusso

• 16 posts
  • LocationKeith, Scotland
  • Vehicle Driven:Sandero Stepway Laureate
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 51.959

Hi Daedalus,

Looking for an easy fix so despite looking at the various fixes including the bloke on Youtube who removed the whole dashboard and fitted various coloured lamps which included desoldering individual led's just went for the easy fix.

As I am a Radio Amateur, could probably have managed but looking for an easy life now.

Cheers,

Alan

Daedalus

Daedalus

Advanced Member

• 1606 posts
  • LocationSheffield

The German mod is the easiest and neatest and cheapest fix as it just turns on the panels own leds. The reason I ask is that two of us report doing the mod on this forum and someone from Spain reported he didn't do it as his wiring colours didn't match. As this mod is supposed to work on the old panel in the Duster as well the new panel used in the Sandero and now in the Duster I was interested in what colour wiring people were finding and whether the logic 12 volts on pin 20 was toggling with the sidelights.

As you were happy to open up your steering column covers I though you may be able to answer my queries.

Daedalus

Daedalus

Advanced Member

• 1606 posts
  • LocationSheffield

post-9393-0-86504600-1447417498_thumb.jp

To satisfy my curiosity is anyone prepared to have a look at the wiring plugged into their UCH ( BCM in English ) and see if the wiring colours to the 40 way black connector resembles the photo. It is tucked up the outside of the passenger footwell and requires no dismantling merely a bit of contortion.

Mine matches exactly and I am wondering if it is the exception rather than the rule.

If anyone who has a non match has a multimeter and is confident in its use and willing I would like to know if the voltage on pin 20, the blue one being modified here, toggles with the sidelights when in situe.  

MaryMcQueen

MaryMcQueen

miserable old git

• Premium Member
  • 848 posts
  • LocationRedhill, Surrey
  • Vehicle Driven:Sandero Stepway Ambiance diesel, Duster Prestige TCE150 4x4
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 73.521

I downloaded a program off the web, accessed the cars computer and now have the dashboard lights permanently on when the ignition is on - much easier than faffing about with additional lights.

I also have 'three flash' touch indicators, no seatbelt warning and the on board computer that my model shouldn't have.

All done through the OBD11 port.

you cannot polish a turd ... but you can paint it gold and roll it glitter

Roger

Roger

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3940 posts
  • LocationDudley, West Midlands. UK
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 (63) Sandero Stepway Laureate dCi 90 in Azurite Blue. Supplied with a full size 5 spoke spare wheel & tyre with a 80 km/h sticker ! Now driving with a permanently lit dashboard !
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 50.23

I downloaded a program off the web, accessed the cars computer and now have the dashboard lights permanently on when the ignition is on - much easier than faffing about with additional lights.

I also have 'three flash' touch indicators, no seatbelt warning and the on board computer that my model shouldn't have.

So have I ! ;)

• Like x 1

My Stepway ? I'm lovin' it !! :D  :D 

roycedakin

roycedakin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • LocationPeak District
  • Vehicle Driven:sandero stepway laureate

Hello MMQ would it be possible to give more details/instructions on how you achieved this much needed upgrade in layman's terms .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Roger

Roger

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3940 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 (63) Sandero Stepway Laureate dCi 90 in Azurite Blue. Supplied with a full size 5 spoke spare wheel & tyre with a 80 km/h sticker ! Now driving with a permanently lit dashboard !
  • My Fuel Logs

Hello MMQ would it be possible to give more details/instructions on how you achieved this much needed upgrade in layman's terms .

I will PM you and send you to the appropriate web site, you will find all the information and more on there ! :)

MaryMcQueen

MaryMcQueen

miserable old git

• Premium Member
  • 848 posts
  • LocationRedhill, Surrey
  • Vehicle Driven:Sandero Stepway Ambiance diesel, Duster Prestige TCE150 4x4
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 73.521
Thanks @Roger

you cannot polish a turd ... but you can paint it gold and roll it glitter

spud163

spud163

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCoventry
  • Vehicle Driven:Stepway Lauréate TCe 90
Hi Roger,
Any chance you could PM me the website as well, many thanks.

roycedakin

roycedakin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 271 posts
  • LocationPeak District
  • Vehicle Driven:sandero stepway laureate

I will PM you and send you to the appropriate web site, you will find all the information and more on there ! :)

Thanks Roger I have received the PM.

Roger

Roger

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3940 posts
  • My Fuel Logs

Thanks Roger I have received the PM.

You're welcome ! ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users