• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

TonyTheHat

TonyTheHat

Advanced Member

• 324 posts
  • LocationKent
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster Laureate 4x4 Mariana Blue
I agree, don't think that the changes make it better looking!

I would be judged by my soul - the mind is the measure of the man:- unless I'm driving my Duster

TonyTheHat

TonyTheHat

Advanced Member

• 324 posts
  • LocationKent
Here is a new review.

Looks like the top gear magazine review team took a duster down the same road Jeremy and the others did on the tv show

http://www.rushlane....ns-1255019.html

I would be judged by my soul - the mind is the measure of the man:- unless I'm driving my Duster

TonyTheHat

TonyTheHat

Advanced Member

• 324 posts
  • LocationKent

Nick

Nick

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1084 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 44.394
Garage View Garage Contributor
Some reviews from Ireland, worth a look:

Have you found DaciaForum.co.uk useful? If so, you can help us by:

Leaving a review of your Dacia: Duster - Sandero - Stepway - Logan - Lodgy

Rate your Dacia Dealership Experience by clicking here

Add your location to our worldwide Dacia Owners Map!

Want a DaciaForum.co.uk sticker? Click Here!

Do The Maths and Save Money by Becoming a Premium Member!

Ulpian

Ulpian

• Members
  • 14 posts
Take a look!

http://www.team-bhp....ial-review.html

TonyTheHat

TonyTheHat

Advanced Member

• 324 posts
  • LocationKent
Hi all.

This is a review of the actual duster I drove and photos of it at the dealers in Tunbridge Wells, so must have been on 09/12/12

http://www.netcars.c...er-driven/1139/

Ulpian

Ulpian

• Members
  • 14 posts
I didn't drive this car above 30mph but I totally agree that the steering is numb and low geared and doesn't respond quickly to inputs. The mention of poor refininement at speed only corroborates what all other testers have said. So, since the only model worth having is the Laureate it seems the Duster is in fact not that cheap. Add the necessary spare wheel, parking sensors and ESP and you have a car that, while decent for a hack, is probably not for somebody who enjoys driving.

I'll keep looking. The little Panda Trekking IS fun to drive, and if you don't have a family this is probably the way to go. Galvanized too.

I was hoping that they would have worked on the refinement before it was launched here.

TonyTheHat

TonyTheHat

Advanced Member

• 324 posts
  • LocationKent
Nice RAC review;

http://www.rac.co.uk...s/dacia-duster/

Ulpian

Ulpian

• Members
  • 14 posts
This is an old 'review' and in fact just a re-hash of Renault publicity material.

We'll have to wait until the car arrives here for proper reviews, and then drive it ourselves.

I wasn't impressed by the low geared steering and glacial acceleration of the 4x4 LHD I drove last week. They say the 2x4 is better, but it will still have the numb windlass steerring. I was really hoping for better.

You should read the Indian review I have posted a link to somewhere here, and the reports of the first drivers, these give a very interesting spin on the car. However, most Indians have no idea about cars and their market wants are very different from ours.

Nick

Nick

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1084 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire
  • My Fuel Logs

glacial acceleration of the 4x4 LHD I drove last week

That is what worries me the most.... although to be fair, my missus has a 2010 Renault Megane Estate, with the same 1.5 dci engine. It's "ok", as long as you keep it within the power band. Perfectly acceptable on the motorway, but a little lacking getting up to speed.

The power, or lack of, will be the deciding factor for me I think... I need to test drive a petrol and a diesel! After spending the past 8 years driving cars with over 200bhp, I do wonder if I'd be able to cope with something which only has about 110bhp! As they say, power is addictive :)

Ulpian

Ulpian

• Members
  • 14 posts
I didn't get above 30mph when I drove the 4x4 so I have no dea what it is like on the motorway. I did detect the turbo cutting in and the presence of some power once the thing had got going, and I dare say it will perform perfectly well at speed - allowing for the wind noise which all commentators make mention of.

However, the combination of a total lack of acceleration form standstill, which left me holding up the cars behind, combined with the low geared steering which meant I had to feed it through my hands to turn onto a main road at a junction, left me unimpressed.

I drove a Scenic with a 1.6 petrol engine not too long ago and I found that to be both noisy, thirsty and again, totally gutless from a standstill.

My own car is a ten year old Fiat Doblo with a 100bhp 1.9 Diesel engine, and that is far nippier away from the lights than the Duster was, and has typically Fiat-quick steering, which only demands a flick of the wrist to make a turn. The Doblo is 2.5 turns lock to lock, whereas the Duster is 3.5 (for the same turning circle) so the answer is there I guess.

I came away from the Duster test respecting my old car even more and I have to say feeling rather disappointed.

I understand the the 2x4 Duster has a higher first gear and the lower weight certainly permits a quicker 0-60 time, but it will stil have that slow steering. My jury is out, but as I said before, I don't need four wheel drive, although I do want ease of access and a decent ride height and ground clearance. For the same money - less actually - I could have the new Panda Trekking. It is small of course, but a joy to drive and meets all my fun, equipment and economy requirements, and comes with a nippy petrol (TwinAir) engine which is economical and comes into a low tax band. The Duster's petrol 1.6 is noisy , thirsty, gutless and in a high tax band :(

I'll wait and see, but I drive both in town and outside and I do wonder if the width of the Duster might be another problem in confined traffic?

The Stepway is probably nearer to my needs and comes with a new petrol engine, but again, it has that low speed steerring and I haven't read a review worth the name yet....I'll wait.

Denis O

Denis O

Advanced Member

• 137 posts
  • LocationKent & Greece.
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster 1.5d
It appears PH like it.

http://www.pistonhea...=: Dacia Duster
  • Like x 1

2012 1.5dci Lauréate in White
2002 Defender 90 CSW Silver
2008 Smart For2 Limited 2 Light Blue
2006 BMW X5 3.0D Le Mans Blue

Ulpian

Ulpian

• Members
  • 14 posts
Interestringly his negative comments are exactly the same as mine: a very low geared steering rack that needs more turning than necessary - and incidentally spoils the driving experience - and a miserably glacial acceleration from standstill (my words;)). And how he thinks Citroen DSs were cheap cars I have no idea; they were always expensive - gorgeous, but expensive. We had them when I was a kid so I know.

And the comments at the end of his review also echo me when they so often say that had Renault fitted A/C as standard on even the cheapest model they would really have been onto something. Steelies, great; no radio; no problem - Halfords - black bumpers, who cares? But poor handling and a hot cabin in summer, and a drippingly fugged up one in winter - not so sure...

I really don't know how many people these days really want to drive round in fuggy misted up cars in winter and sweaty uncomfortable ones in summer, and A/C is cheap so there is no need. Lack of A/C and manual windows are fine for a farm hack, I suppose, but I really don't how many of us want to go back to the 1960s in all respects, including safety.

Which all means that the top spec one is the only really viable one for most people, and the one where the profits for the company are found of course, and the one which they have cleverly specced to take the majority of sales. And which is not as cheap as it looks on paper...

TonyTheHat

TonyTheHat

Advanced Member

• 324 posts
  • LocationKent
This a new one fom pistonheads

http://www.pistonhea...sp?c=47&i=26927

Ulpian

Ulpian

• Members
  • 14 posts
That's the same review Denis O posted, and my commments are above.

Does anyone read the comments on this forum because it seems like a ghost town where comments are not read or followed up by debates?

I don't mean to be rude, but other car forums I know, notably Fiat :P , are pretty lively places sometimes with lots of exchanges, sometimes contradictory but ususally interesting and with huge product knowledge.

The French Dacia forum is likewise pretty deadly and they have had the car for over two years.

I begin to ask myself - Fiat: fun, exciting, lively, antagonistic, informed. Dacia: sleepy, uninformed, dull... Is it the car, but there doesn't seem to be much passion here?

Denis O

Denis O

Advanced Member

• 137 posts
  • LocationKent & Greece.
I wouldn't have thought it takes a rocket scientist to figure that a forum dedicated to a car that's not even been launched in the country yet is likely to be somewhat quieter than a brand that's been around for decades :rolleyes:

From what I can see Ulpian you are in love with the Fiat so I'd go buy 1. The Duster is not for you with it's numb steering and glacial acceleration (neither point which I agree with) I suspect you really need a Ferrari although not for £9k :wacko:

The low 1st and 2nd gears are obviously to compensate for the lack of low range on the 4 x 4 system. I made the point on my review of my Greek Duster.

No doubt this forum will become more lively by the summer when some owners have the cars in their hands and actually have something to say. Certainly the 2 main threads on PH suggest that could be the case.

Oh, and enjoy your Panda....do they still turn into piles of rust after 6 months in the UK weather ;)
  • Like x 2

Ulpian

Ulpian

• Members
  • 14 posts
A bit rude. And still no product knowldge; you see, Fiats are galvanized, and have been for a long time, so the rust issue is extinct. Dacias on the other hand... ;)

And the steering in the Duster is numb, and low geared. This removes the fun element from the car and also makes nimble work in town impossible. The low first gear is a reality and makes acceleration from a standstill, in the 4x4 at least, dismally slow. These are facts and ones that I have now experienced, previously they were just hinted at by testers seduced by the price and the size of the car.

But you are correct in your allusion to the Panda TwinAir being a bit of a pocket Ferrari, because its reactions are super quick and make for a fun drive, but it is also a very easy car to navigate.

I don't expect the Duster to be fun in the same way of course, few cars are, but I was disappointed when I drove it, and obvioulsy other people have discovered the same thing. Some testers obviously balance the indifferent driving experience against the low price, but what I say is that the low price only exists in the basic version. The normal car, the Laureate, is very competitive, but not really cheap, certainly not when the price is balanced against the dynamic shortcomings.

I am waiting to drive the 2x4, which was the car I was interested in anyway, and the Stepway of course. But you are right in thinking that if the Stepway at least is not a fun drive I won't be buying it. There are compromises with all cars, I am very aware of that, but where we draw the line is subjective and a difficult decision to make sometimes.

And I realise that the car is not available yet, but I still stand by my assertion that there isn't much passion evident here.

Nick

Nick

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1084 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire
  • My Fuel Logs
For a brand that hasn't even got a car on the road in the UK, it's surprised me how busy it is! It'll get busier by the end of the year, but for now, I think we've got a good amount of banter going on, all things considering.

Denis O

Denis O

Advanced Member

• 137 posts
  • LocationKent & Greece.
My comment on turning into piles of rust was tongue in cheek. Thought you might have got that via the smiley. No matter.

As for the rest of your ramblings you need to remember you are buying a very cheap, 4 wheel drive, decent sized SUV. It compares with the Quashqui, i35 and Kia Sportage. Spec 1 of those up to Lauréate standard and you'll end up £5k more.

If I was buying a X3 I'd expect decent acceleration and lots of feedback through the steering. But I'm not, I'm buying a Duster for 1/2 the price so I expect a few compromises. Personally, having driven mine for 600km, I don't get the problems you seem to. But then you've driven one for 10 miles and never been over 30 mph so you'd obviously know much more than me.

Once again I say that you should go buy a Panda. As long as you're the size of a hobbit you'll fit no problem. The Duster is not for you and it's not a comparable car to a Panda except they are both 4 x 4's.

No doubt you'll go for "Infatuation Purple" or "Sweet Dreams Turquoise" :P

TonyTheHat

TonyTheHat

Advanced Member

• 324 posts
  • LocationKent
Snigger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users