3636 replies to this topic

TonyTheHat

TonyTheHat

Advanced Member

• 324 posts
  • LocationKent
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster Laureate 4x4 Mariana Blue
I suppose that's true.

I learned never to buy car after looking at it in the dark the hard way.

Got a Mk 2 Cavalier getting on for 15 years ago. Didn't notice the smoke cloud James Bond would have been proud of in the dark.

Vaulve (Is that how you spell them?) oil seals had gone. To this day, I have no idea what they are, other than smoke generating things.

So 15 mins should give me a feel? OK, thats fine with me then

I would be judged by my soul - the mind is the measure of the man:- unless I'm driving my Duster

TonyTheHat

TonyTheHat

Advanced Member

• 324 posts
  • LocationKent
I have sailed in the tall ships' race in 1988, and one thing I learned is never to whistle, as you 'whistle down the wind'.

That superstition out there, I have to say I am surprised, in the least, that we have had no-one who has left a posting that demeans my desire to own a Dacia Duster or the car itself!

I have read some hideous comments by people about people like me and the car, notwithstanding the rave reviews and brand loyalty on the continant.

Long may it remain that way; I enjoy sharing thoughts with likeminded people.

Nice to have found some kindred spirits.

And I apologise unreservedly if I have, indeed, 'whistled down the wind' ;)

I would be judged by my soul - the mind is the measure of the man:- unless I'm driving my Duster

Nick

Nick

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1084 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 44.394
Garage View Garage Contributor
Yeah, I've also read some of the comments on general motoring forums (one of the reasons I set this site up so I can discuss the Duster with like minded people!), and there is a lot of negativism out there, not that I give a flying f**k! :D

I'm slowly spreading the word on various forums, so hopefully we'll have some more like minded people join us soon. Once they hit the roads, I reckon it'll be a sell-out :) There is/was a waiting list in Germany!

Have you found DaciaForum.co.uk useful? If so, you can help us by:

Leaving a review of your Dacia: Duster - Sandero - Stepway - Logan - Lodgy

Rate your Dacia Dealership Experience by clicking here

Add your location to our worldwide Dacia Owners Map!

Want a DaciaForum.co.uk sticker? Click Here!

Do The Maths and Save Money by Becoming a Premium Member!

TonyTheHat

TonyTheHat

Advanced Member

• 324 posts
  • LocationKent
Well I am grateful you did, Nick.

£15,000 is a hell of a commitment for me and it is nice to bounce thoughts of someone.

I have to laugh at this one from pistonheads;

'I agree. 6 pages of crap about a peasants soft roader. What a waste of bandwidth!'

Not a lot else to do with his time? LOL.

Nick

Nick

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1084 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire
  • My Fuel Logs
The people of write those type of comments are the ones who likely drive cars under a PCP contract, never actually owning the car! There is a growing amount of coverage lately about car costs, in that how they've risen so much over the past 4 to 5 years or so, with prices rising 20% or so. And then there are stories about how cars are getting too complicated, and these are on Pistonheads!

http://www.pistonhea...p?storyId=26647

Mar-T

Mar-T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationShropshire
how is buying a car new a peasants offroader? realistically most people will be spending 12k plus! ignorance :)
Ordered - Dacia Duster Access
Delivery - Jan 2013

TonyTheHat

TonyTheHat

Advanced Member

• 324 posts
  • LocationKent
It is a ridiculous argument, but I have read loads like it.

The crazy thing is that the car is cheap with a great Warranty, apparently cheap to insure, has a good off road capability, a frugal reliable engine that is green and is in a cheap tax bracket, is cheap to service and repair, came high in Germany for reliability, has shed load of space......... I could go on.

It may be viewed as a poor-man's 4x4 by some and me to be a mug, but I would rather be looked at that way than be tapped up for 20-30k for something that does the same, is much less efficient and has so much to go wrong.

Blimey, all this brand loyalty and I haven't even driven it yet, lol

CAEDES

CAEDES

• Members
  • 12 posts

It is a ridiculous argument, but I have read loads like it.

The crazy thing is that the car is cheap with a great Warranty, apparently cheap to insure, has a good off road capability, a frugal reliable engine that is green and is in a cheap tax bracket, is cheap to service and repair, came high in Germany for reliability, has shed load of space......... I could go on.

It may be viewed as a poor-man's 4x4 by some and me to be a mug, but I would rather be looked at that way than be tapped up for 20-30k for something that does the same, is much less efficient and has so much to go wrong.

Blimey, all this brand loyalty and I haven't even driven it yet, lol

Perfectly said!!!!

My actual choices for "new-to-me" car were: Porsche 911, Range Rover, Porsche Cayenne, ..... Dacia Duster.

My pockets are not gold-lined, so all but the Duster would have been old and tired. Although awesome and impressive, all but the Duster are renowned for being unrelialbe and very expensive to repair (often simply because of the frequency things break). Yet, most people think they are great.

The Duster ticks all the boxes for a sensible everyday car and looks pretty good while it does it.

I have a feeling that most of the "Pistonheads" type of communities are keyboard warriors that PRETEND to be rich. I also think the Duster will appeal to all "sensible" people..... from hard-working all the way to mega-rich. I reckon this could enjoy some reverse badge sonbbery, making them pretty cool.

That was quite a rant from me.....sorry.
  • Like x 1

Nick

Nick

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1084 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire
  • My Fuel Logs
I fully concur! Both your posts echo my thoughts!

Posted from my Galaxy S2, please excuse my grammar and spelling, fat fingers!

TonyTheHat

TonyTheHat

Advanced Member

• 324 posts
  • LocationKent
With you 100 %!

Redforce

Redforce

Formally "2Dusterschris"

• Premium Member
  • 363 posts
  • LocationUphill, Weston super Mare
  • Vehicle Driven:Cinder Red Logan MCV TCe90 Ambiance
Hello all you Duster fans, I've just found this site and thought I would join the fun!
So, you might ask, why 2 Dusters Chris? Well I have not pre-ordered 2 Dusters, though if I win the Dacia or Daily Telegraph competition I might end up with two. No, I have ordered a 4x4 Access with no extras, more about that later.
However when my Dacia Duster arrives I will have 2 Dusters. I don't mean I will have a car and a fluffy yellow cloth with which to polish it! No, you see I already have a mountain bike which goes by the name of a Charge Duster. Well, when I saw that I could purchase a 4x4 with a similar name I just couldn't resist.
I have driven 4x4s since I took delivery of a Ford Maverick in 1994. Strictly speaking 4WD is not an absolute necessity for me but as I live in the North-East of England it is useful in the winter. Since owning the Maverick I have driven a Nissan Terrano 2 and 2 Fiat Panda 4x4s, the latest being the relatively rare diesel-engined Cross. However I am disillusioned with Fiat now, too many gadgets on UK market 4x4 Pandas and poor build quality. The final straw was a £1000 bill to replace the turbo on the Cross which wiped out any savings on fuel costs provided by the diesel.
The Dacia Duster appeals greatly to me in a minimalist motoring, Luddite sort of way. I'm fed up with potentially unreliable gadgets being added to modern cars. I want a new car, I didn't want to inherit another driver's faults and botched repairs. However I want a vehicle that I can park up in Sainsburys car park (other supermarkets are available) and not worry too much about other folk's kids clashing the doors or pensioners scraping the bumpers. The UN style Access in white with black plastic bumpers fits the bill perfectly. I don't want another turbodiesel for obvious reasons and in particular do not want a car fitted with a DPF. I do want 4x4, I do want roof rails and I really would have liked aircon but will have to accept a sacrifice there. Oh and what's the point of alloys that weigh more than steel wheels and pick up scrapes on kerbs?
I've ordered no extras, well, apart from 4x4 (which also gives me a full-size spare, stored inside the boot, yippee!). However I've had great fun buying my extras as they come up for sale in Aldi or Lidl. I have some nice alloy cross bars, fitted with locks, to mount my bike rack on, a radio with Bluetooth, aux plug, UBS and SD card (£60 from Aldi) deep rubber mats and a luggage organiser for the boot.
OK, now the 1.6 petrol engine is not very economical and the road tax quite high on my chosen model but I am saving a fortune on the purchase price of this car, compared with the competition, so there's plenty of cash for fuel. I like to keep my cars for a good few years and have children to hand the Duster on to when I'm finished with it. This car is going to be a family heirloom!
I only hope I like the car when I finally get a test drive or I will be putting a few things on Ebay.
Formally "2Dusterschris"

Nick

Nick

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1084 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire
  • My Fuel Logs
Chris - You're a man who thinks exactly like I do! Although I haven't pre-ordered yet (I want to test-drive the petrol version just to check it's not a complete waste of time), when I do order, it will be exactly what you've gone for. :)

Welcome to the site by the way!

TonyTheHat

TonyTheHat

Advanced Member

• 324 posts
  • LocationKent
Welcome Chris. I really like your post.

Think you are a more deserving duster owner than I. Lol

GrahamR

GrahamR

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 371 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire
  • Vehicle Driven:Dacia Sandero Ambiance 1.2 16v 75 in Pearl Black
Garage View Garage
I pre ordered an Access 4x4 with a Protection pack in White, then test drove a Laurete at my local dealer and I've now changed my mind and have upgraded to a Laurete 4 x 4 with Traction Control and ESP + a Protection Pack. I don't have a delivery date yet but the original date for the Access was March.

Graham

SANDERO AMBIANCE 1.2 16v 75 in PEARL BLACK

Nick

Nick

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1084 posts
  • LocationHertfordshire
  • My Fuel Logs
Hi Graham! What made you upgrade from the Access to the Laurete?

Welcome to the site by the way :)

GrahamR

GrahamR

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 371 posts
  • LocationAberdeenshire
  • Vehicle Driven:Dacia Sandero Ambiance 1.2 16v 75 in Pearl Black
Garage View Garage
Hi Nick,

A few reasons really. Initially I just thought the Access was such a bargain and rushed into it. Then I test drove a diesel and was very impressed. Then I decided I'd like air con, etc, etc. The car I've ordered is now costing £15,920, which does not seem such a bargain, but when I look at what I'm getting and the comparative cost of any other car with a similar specification it's still fantastic value.

Graham

SANDERO AMBIANCE 1.2 16v 75 in PEARL BLACK

TonyTheHat

TonyTheHat

Advanced Member

• 324 posts
  • LocationKent
That's what I think too.

Mine is costing me £15k, but is a bargain.

Mar-T

Mar-T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationShropshire
welcome Graham and Chris! it's good to hear from another couple of pre order people. Apparently there are 1000 of us out there!
Ordered - Dacia Duster Access
Delivery - Jan 2013

rustydusty

rustydusty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh
Hi, I ordered the Laureate 2wd in white with protection pack, perfect for when i take my dog to the beach most weekends :))

bsclayton

bsclayton

• Members
  • 11 posts
Do I get a prize for managing to blow £17k on a new Duster Laureate 4x4 (Metallic, ESR, touring pack, safety pack and so on... )
The alternative was leasing a 320d Touring and a nice little tax bill on top and worrying about dogs, kids, parking dents etc - so I still think I made the best choice!
  • Like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dacia duster, preorder

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users