Stalled Media Nav Evolution software update

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

ebdnet

ebdnet

• 13 posts
  • Locationcambridge
  • Vehicle Driven:stepway

I received an email saying i had new maps, so off to toolbox, but instead of maps it insisted in downloaded a 64Mb software update.    The attempt to update in the vehicle has been ongoing for 4 hours and has stalled on 5 bars.

I do not know how to stop it, or recover.  I cant leave the car unlocked any longer and nor can i leave the keys in the ignition, so it will have to be switched off one way or another.

HELP (please)

ebdnet

ebdnet

• 13 posts
  • Locationcambridge

Sat Nav unit now stuck on, refuses to turn off.

Roger

Roger

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3940 posts
  • LocationDudley, West Midlands. UK
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 (63) Sandero Stepway Laureate dCi 90 in Azurite Blue. Supplied with a full size 5 spoke spare wheel & tyre with a 80 km/h sticker ! Now driving with a permanently lit dashboard !
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 50.23

Sat Nav unit now stuck on, refuses to turn off.

Is the car still under warranty ?  ohmy.png

My Stepway ? I'm lovin' it !! :D  :D 

ebdnet

ebdnet

• 13 posts
  • Locationcambridge

Yes, still under warranty, but i am currently overseas and the battery drain will flatten the battery in due course.    I was hoping someone would know how to reset it, or turn it off.

hooliopaulio

hooliopaulio

Advanced Member

• 58 posts
  • LocationSouth Yorkshire
  • Vehicle Driven:Dacia Duster

Happened to mine once due to dodgy USB stick.  I found if I held the power button in for long enough it eventually went off and rebooted and was back to normal operation.  A working USB drive then allowed the update to go through.  The is the new medianav in a 2018 new shape Duster.

• Useful x 1

ebdnet

ebdnet

• 13 posts
  • Locationcambridge
Tried holding the off button until my finger fell off (after 5 or 6 minutes). Nothing changed. its still stuck on. USB stick was red hot, so now removed. The manual does not have the correct fuse diagram for the car which is a 2017 Stepway. So I cant remove the fuse without removing them all.

Daedalus

Daedalus

Advanced Member

• 1606 posts
  • LocationSheffield
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2

1 Try leaving car 30 mins or so, so the car electronics go into sleep mode (depends on how exactly sleep mode is initiated for the medianav).

2 Disconnect battery.

3 Remove console fascia and disconnect power from the back of the medianav ( there are posts how to do this on the forum).

ebdnet

ebdnet

• 13 posts
  • Locationcambridge
Further update. It seems the updated 2017 stepway has a Logan fuse box. Even so the numbers don't match exactly. Eventually I found a fuse that turned it all off. It does restart as advised above, BUT MAPS does not work, just freezes until you hit home button, and NAV gives a "globalxxx.cfg not found error message. It will not update again from the USB, but recognises it and plays media fine from it. The unit now turns off on the button, but strangely not when you switch off the engine, which it used to do as you take the key out. Additionally, since messing with fuses, my air con and heated rear screen, seat belt warnings etc do not work. Dead as a dodo....The fuse looks fine. Nuisance, as its 30C plus out there :-(

Roger

Roger

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3940 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 (63) Sandero Stepway Laureate dCi 90 in Azurite Blue. Supplied with a full size 5 spoke spare wheel & tyre with a 80 km/h sticker ! Now driving with a permanently lit dashboard !
  • My Fuel Logs

Further update. It seems the updated 2017 stepway has a Logan fuse box. Even so the numbers don't match exactly. Eventually I found a fuse that turned it all off. It does restart as advised above, BUT MAPS does not work, just freezes until you hit home button, and NAV gives a "globalxxx.cfg not found error message. It will not update again from the USB, but recognises it and plays media fine from it. The unit now turns off on the button, but strangely not when you switch off the engine, which it used to do as you take the key out. Additionally, since messing with fuses, my air con and heated rear screen, seat belt warnings etc do not work. Dead as a dodo....The fuse looks fine. Nuisance, as its 30C plus out there :-(

You are not trying to load music and map updates from the same stick are you ? Your post gives me that impression! ohmy.png

ebdnet

ebdnet

• 13 posts
  • Locationcambridge
For info, in the new fuse box, fuse 34 will disable the media nav.

Daedalus

Daedalus

Advanced Member

• 1606 posts
  • LocationSheffield

I don't know where you got your manual but fuse 34 is the radio fuse in my '13 Sandero and the handbook is for the Sandero, Logan and Logan MCV

• Agree x 1

Roger

Roger

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3940 posts
  • My Fuel Logs

I don't know where you got your manual but fuse 34 is the radio fuse in my '13 Sandero and the handbook is for the Sandero, Logan and Logan MCV

As above, as you say ! Also Fuse 39 is labeled Diagnostics & Radio Socket, in my Handbook. ?? unsure.png

I know what the Diagnostic Socket is, but whats the Radio Socket, could it be the USB ?

ebdnet

ebdnet

• 13 posts
  • Locationcambridge

You are not trying to load music and map updates from the same stick are you ? Your post gives me that impression! ohmy.png

I have music files on the same stick as the updates, but the updates all sit in the nav folder. Never had any issues before, and was never aware that you couldn't do a mix. The media nav simply plays the files from the stick, you don't need to load them anywhere. With the updates though, once one is available and on the stick the USB initiation detects the update and proceeds automatically, well usually, this time it stalled.

Roger

Roger

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3940 posts
  • My Fuel Logs

I have music files on the same stick as the updates, but the updates all sit in the nav folder. Never had any issues before, and was never aware that you couldn't do a mix. The media nav simply plays the files from the stick, you don't need to load them anywhere. With the updates though, once one is available and on the stick the USB initiation detects the update and proceeds automatically, well usually, this time it stalled.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I am under the impression that you need a "clean" stick formatted to FAT32 to down load Map updates. I use a 8GB stick for map updates and a 32GB mini stick for music. What ever stick I insert into the MediaNav USB it finds either music or Navigation info ! If both are on the stick, how does it know what you are asking of it ?wink.png

ebdnet

ebdnet

• 13 posts
  • Locationcambridge

As above, as you say ! Also Fuse 39 is labeled Diagnostics & Radio Socket, in my Handbook. ?? unsure.png
I know what the Diagnostic Socket is, but whats the Radio Socket, could it be the USB ?

The manual came with the car, it is stepway/logan. but the diagram of the fuse area is different. Mine was one of the first updated stepways with the new interior and instrument panel, they have updated the logans and dusters with the same style now.

I found a matching diagram on google for the new Logan. The fuses I removed were marked, radio, then multimedia both of which had no effect, then finally the radio socket fuse, which turned it off. I also pulled one other fuse by mistake when I miscounted.

It could be USB as you say. The socket marked radio (in the manual) is empty, but as I said the manual is the wrong diagram, I only have 34 fuses for example.

The update that stalled has clearly corrupted the medianav software as its now missing a config file and wont load. I can manage without satnav, although maps would be handy, and now I can park without flattening the battery I will be able to return to the UK fine. I will investigate the air con/fans/ seatbelt lights etc that are now not working another day. I may even get techie and plug a laptop into the USB and see if I can see the internal disc. I may even be able to upload the missing files from the back up area. Otherwise its back to the dealer under warranty when I get back. You would think there would be a factory reset facility somewhere :-(

Daedalus

Daedalus

Advanced Member

• 1606 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Central locking and/or RFID reader?

Daedalus

Daedalus

Advanced Member

• 1606 posts
  • LocationSheffield

I may even get techie and plug a laptop into the USB and see if I can see the internal disc. I may even be able to upload the missing files from the back up area.

Don't bother. The way to try is to rename the update file so the bootloader thinks it is a minor update. At the moment it will be seen as the same revision. Otherwise contact Dacia ( they will probably in the first instance send you a file renamed as a minor update). There are conventions for major or minor updates so increase the last number by only one or the next proper update may not be seen as an "update".

• Like x 1

ebdnet

ebdnet

• 13 posts
  • Locationcambridge

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I am under the impression that you need a "clean" stick formatted to FAT32 to down load Map updates. I use a 8GB stick for map updates and a 32GB mini stick for music. What ever stick I insert into the MediaNav USB it finds either music or Navigation info ! If both are on the stick, how does it know what you are asking of it ?wink.png

I believe that it checks the stick for updates when it is inserted. If it finds one it asks if you wish to install it, you have the option not to. Afterwards it simply treats it as a media stick. I have never before had an issue with mixing the two.
  • Useful x 1

ebdnet

ebdnet

• 13 posts
  • Locationcambridge
Update. I have recovered the nav and map functions. As follows. 1: Removed fuse 39 (which I found in the end, out of order and out of sight at the very top of the panel). This powered the unit off. 2. Re inserted the fuse, switched the unit back on, all working but with no map or nav function 3: Did a factory reset from the settings menu. Had to wait about 5 mins before it recognised the media nav. The global.cfg error message still remained after I powered it all back on afterwards. 4: Put an old USB stick in 5: On reading the old stick the unit asked if I would like to download the settings, which I did. 6: Put USB stick into toolbox and got the latest update 7: Installed the latest update 8: Initially nothing, but after a power off of 5 mins the unit restarted with map and nav enabled The media nav unit will still not switch off on the button while driving and will not go to sleep when you park, it has to be manually powered on and off prior to and after the journey. Meanwhile the heated rear screen, internal cooling fan and air con remain disabled since I removed fuse 32 (radio) when initially trying to turn it all off. Something got upset clearly.

ebdnet

ebdnet

• 13 posts
  • Locationcambridge

Corrected text

Update. I have recovered the nav and map functions. As follows.1: Removed fuse 34. This powered the unit off.2. Re inserted the fuse, switched the unit back on, all working but with no map or nav function3: Did a factory reset from the settings menu. Had to wait about 5 mins before it recognised the media nav. The global.cfg error message still remained after I powered it all back on afterwards.4: Put an old USB stick in5: On reading the old stick the unit asked if I would like to download the settings, which I did.6: Put USB stick into toolbox and got the latest update7: Installed the latest update8: Initially nothing, but after a power off of 5 mins the unit restarted with map and nav enabledThe media nav unit will still not switch off on the button while driving and will not go to sleep when you park, it has to be manually powered on and off prior to and after the journey.Meanwhile the heated rear screen, internal cooling fan and air con remain disabled since I removed fuse 32 (radio) when initially trying to turn it all off.Something got upset clearly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users