Indicator Problems

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

yogi053

yogi053

• 6 posts
  • LocationGlasgow
  • Vehicle Driven:Sandero Stepway Laureate

Can anybody throw any ideas on indicator problem where you lose indicators on one side of the car only?

Roger

Roger

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 3940 posts
  • LocationDudley, West Midlands. UK
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 (63) Sandero Stepway Laureate dCi 90 in Azurite Blue. Supplied with a full size 5 spoke spare wheel & tyre with a 80 km/h sticker ! Now driving with a permanently lit dashboard !
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 50.23

Can anybody throw any ideas on indicator problem where you lose indicators on one side of the car only?

Does the Hazard switch work on both sides ? If so, I would be looking at the steering wheel indicator stalk being faulty ! wink.png

My Stepway ? I'm lovin' it !! :D  :D 

yogi053

yogi053

• 6 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Thanks for your reply Roger.

I should have stated that this is the 2nd time this has happened on a 2014 Laureate.

I did find a little backstreet garage who fixed it in a couple of hours (Romanian guy) and he said he replaced a Diode.

Unfortunately, his garage is now closed and I am finding somewhere who knows where this diode may be located difficult to find.

Other side faulty this time.

Just wondered if anybody on here had that same problem.

Hoping to get it fixed today. If I do I will put info on here.

TommyM

TommyM

Advanced Member

• 31 posts
  • LocationInverclyde
  • Vehicle Driven:65 Plate Sandero Stepway 1.5dci in Black

When I first got my 2016 car it came with 3 months warranty which had 2 weeks left when I had this problem. I took it myself to a different dealer (nearer to me) twice and when they could find no issues as when they started to investigate the fault had cleared..With less than 1 week warranty left I booked car into dealer that supplied the car.They had it for 10 days. On cars return they said it had (wait for it!!) the wrong resistance bulbs fitted to the front indicators.It had chrome bulbs when I first got the car and they had changed them back to the Osram orange bulbs.They did give me back the silver bulbs which are now working fine in my brothers car.

The first dealer I took the car to was a Renault dealer with a good reputation. Dealer That supplied the car was a Ford dealer and they sent it to their Renault franchise which to say the least has a very poor reputation.

The diode fault seems to be more realistic to me....Sorry I cant be more helpful.I can say that since car was last returned to me it has been fine...

yogi053

yogi053

• 6 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Still got the fault, although if I knew where the appropriate wiring diagram could be found I would have a go at fixing it myself.

Daedalus

Daedalus

Advanced Member

• 1606 posts
  • LocationSheffield
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2

There is no wiring diagram in the public domain. As Roger said do the hazards work and flashing on locking work? The indicators are controlled by the UCH ( Body Control Module) you can activate a three flash lane change in the software. The clicking is electronically generated on the instrument panel there is no flasher unit. Your only real hope of self repair is a faulty stalk a part known to fail. 

yogi053

yogi053

• 6 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Hi Daedalus, thank you and Roger for your replies.

The fault is there when hazards are selected.

The original fault was diagnosed as a diode failing so I was trying to find out where these diodes are fitted'

On the steering column? As part of a wiring loom? Or someplace else?

Found a place that will look at it tomorrow. Will publish results (if I am told) when repair done.

Daedalus

Daedalus

Advanced Member

• 1606 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Do the indicators flash locking/unlocking. There is no reason to use diodes in a purely resistive ( filament bulbs ) DC circuit. Reactive loads, motors and relays are a different matter. I'd be very interested to learn where these diodes are.

yogi053

yogi053

• 6 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Thanks for your post Daedalus, I will be very interested too if I'm told that is.

(Wonder if has anything to do with an alarm system fitted just after getting car),

Daedalus

Daedalus

Advanced Member

• 1606 posts
  • LocationSheffield

That may explain it if the alarm flashes the indicators they could have used "blocking diodes" in the form of a diode OR gate. I'd have a look around the alarm control box if that is the case.

yogi053

yogi053

• 6 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Problem fixed Daedalus. I believe you 'hit the nail on the head' with your post.

I found a little garage who remedied the 'fault' re diodes. the electrician did not have very good English but from what I understood it had to do with a box behind the dashboard rigged up to the alarm system.

It is my grand daughters who have the laureate now and I just bought myself a New Stepway Comfort Tce.

I won't bother fitting an alarm as I suppose it is just something else to go wrong.

As to the new car, 84 miles in and no problems so far. lol. 

Peteddp

Peteddp

• 5 posts
  • LocationCarlow
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster 2017
I have this same problem. I changed a few of the bulbs to led and the indicators down the passenger side just stopped working. Drivers side works fine. No cha he to alarm system and now tow bar fitted.
I've tried disconnecting the battery for ten minutes to try and remedy but no luck.

Daedalus

Daedalus

Advanced Member

• 1606 posts
  • LocationSheffield

Suggest you back track and reinstall the filament bulbs, maybe one at a time.

The indicators are controlled by the electronics of the UCH (BCM).

Electronics are made to tolerances so there is no guarantee that if the offside will tolerate leds the nearside will, Despite what the vendors like to claim the electrical characteristics of leds and filament bulbs are not the same, even with load resistors which in my opinion make the substitution pointless.

• Agree x 1

Peteddp

Peteddp

• 5 posts
  • LocationCarlow
Replacing with the filament bulbs hasn't made a difference unfortunately.
I have my mechanic looking at it tomorrow.
Some people have mentioned a "diode" but I wouldn't know where this is. I found a small control box that some people refer to in the footwell of the passenger side.

Daedalus

Daedalus

Advanced Member

• 1606 posts
  • LocationSheffield

That is the UCH (Body Control Module). Not to be messed with unless you know what you are doing.

Peteddp

Peteddp

• 5 posts
  • LocationCarlow
Surely disconnecting the items connected in the box and resetting them would be fine though right?

Daedalus

Daedalus

Advanced Member

• 1606 posts
  • LocationSheffield

If you mean reseating then no, I meant messing with the internal electronics. I suspect it is your alarm or tow bar that is the problem.

This is the connections scroll down to Gen II.

https://translate.go...72/&prev=search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users