Attention Duster Owners! Please leave a review of your Duster! - Page 2 - Dacia Duster Forum - Dacia Forum

News Feed

View All Updates

Photo

Attention Duster Owners! Please leave a review of your Duster!

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

N Lincs Eagle

N Lincs Eagle

• 5 posts
  • LocationLincoln
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster

I am 500 miles in on a new Duster Laureate TCe 125 4/2. So this is just first impressions. This was brought to replace the Kia Venga since I have retired we took the cars down to one and the Venga had served us well, just it was a tad boring lacked any personality. Managed to get a good deal on the Duster from Pentagon in Lincoln so took it on a test drive and sorted the deal. 

Nothing I am going to say about the car will surprise existing owners.

Firstly even though its not run in the speed response of engine was a lot better than expected, though in first a slow pull away seems to take the engine by surprise and it takes it time to get going, put your foot down for a fast pull away it responds straight away. 

The instrument panel why oh why not have it light up even if lights not on it can be difficult to see, not helped as I have reactive lenses in glasses.

No CD on radio....ok I am an old git music in cars has gone through the whole gambit from nothing, radio, eight track,tape,CD. Its ok sir you can use the music on your phone (yes right that has nothing on it). I invested in a MP3 player earnt how to RIP a CD transferred my 15 strong Springsteen CDs and a couple of bootlegs from YouTube on to it.  Now setting phone to the car was easy simple childs play (I did it myself did not use one of the kids to do it for me), setting the MP3 player by bluetooth no 40 mins latter I settled for plugging it in to the USB, it works though track selection I have to sort.

Thats it thats the whole list of  negative comments. Oh the tyre low air warning light came on at around 400 miles checked the tyres all were fine, now that might be the local RAF stations fault every now and then the Venga s use to play up flash at me I learnt that it was always by RAF Scampton, the Dusters came on by RAF Scampton will keep an eye on it, its not everytime you go by its an occasional thing every one in fifty.

As for the positives I have to say the first impressions are I love it, comes with everything I want (except CD), its far faster than I thought, even turning on ECO still matches the Venga performance for instance. Its quieter than I expected. It absorbs the pot holes on the local roads well, and on the A1  though only 30 miles or so was great. I love the high driving position a fair few of my cars as I got older were similar the last being a 51 plate Honda CRV.  I mention that because the fuel consumption whilst nowhere near whats claimed is far better than expected. Its about the same with ECO off as I was getting with the Venga and smashes the CRV that drank petrol. 

Thats it one very happy customer so far will keep you updated cannot wait for it to get to 600 miles and sneak out without the wife just to see how it performs maybe its just the once before I go back to sedate old git driving but the boy racer lives on..

TheDusterPilot

TheDusterPilot

Advanced Member

• 60 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster TCE 125

Glad you like you new Duster.  I also have the same model, now 9 months old but only 4700 on the clock.  

I initially found the Duster slow to pick up from stop, but after a couple of days that went away and it is very responsive.  I guess I must have adjusted my throttle / clutch control to tie in with the excellent Duster 125 TCe engine.  I have also had the tyre warning light come on once, all pressures were fine and a restart sorted it out.  I have not tried a usb/MP3 player, but use Spotify on my phone via the bluetooth connection and it works well for me.  Enjoy your Duster driving, I would not swap mine for anything else.

N Lincs Eagle

N Lincs Eagle

• 5 posts
  • LocationLincoln

Cheers Pilot ....the only other thing I have noticed is a hum or whirring sound usually when parking I am guessing that its the radio which I mute most of the time but have on for the phone. However I have not confirmed it yet. Not helped as I am deaf in one ear so its not easy to track where its coming from. 

rustell1

rustell1

Advanced Member

• 73 posts

Although I have only had car for a few weeks thought a preliminary review was in order. Researched car before purchase and always took an interest in Dacia when they began being sold in the UK. Read loads of reviews as well but led me to believe car would be somewhat agricultural in appearance and drive. Finally got to the point where I was fed up with regular big bills for my Mercedes VITO and made the change to the Duster. I have the diesel 4x4 Laureate trim with reverse sensors and alarm, 2015 . Pleasantly surprised by comfort which for me is fine, and build quality following expectations left by reading reviews. Once I adjusted to the gear ratios (1st gear ignored) am absolutely happy with the way it drives and handles. I am not a racing driver but not leisurely either and again the Duster exceeds expectations. Could not care less what the dash is made of, it is robust and the two tone construction breaks up the black fine. Gear change is precise and although short gear ratios a lot easier than I am used to, especially the clutch. Noise is not an issue and again preconceptions formed by reviews proved to be wrong, I do wonder what the hell they expect the inside of a car to sound like. The only time they were proved right was increased noise levels at top of front doors over 60.mph, but again perfectly able to chat with my young grandson in the back on the motorway without shouting or struggling to hear him. Boot space is good even with the full size spare, and seems easy enough to extend the load compartment when needed, not likely to though as I already have a Renault Master. Have fitted the rubber seal around the engine bay, exchanged the media nav for an Android unit and replaced the wipers for longer ones .Also had the rear windows tinted for privacy and keeping prying eyes away from any items in the back. Did a trip to Southampton City center from my home in Portsmouth and back this weekend and averaged 49 Mpg door to door, could have got more I think if I had remembered eco button earlier, only on for last quarter of journey, motorway only. So far feel I could not have made a better choice for the money and satisfied I made the right decision. On another note friends and family are all impressed with it, took 3 adults and my grandson out for dinner today and no discernible difference in performance or handling. Hopefully the reviewers will keep up their blinkered assessments and leave the Dacia's as a secret with purchasers, I only hope that Dacia don't go the same way as Skoda, Kia etc and raise prices once fully established.
P.S Why are Audi's exempt from red traffic lights and all released without working indicators?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Just a quick update, nothing's gone wrong, nothing's fallen off, mpg average 46mpg mixed driving, bodywork as good as the day I picked it up. Service cost reasonable and does everything I want. Would buy another and next one will be an auto model. Nothing else to add really, does what it says on the Tin, as they say

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

N Lincs Eagle

N Lincs Eagle

• 5 posts
  • LocationLincoln

Love the car but still have the hum whistle .......so parked it the stop start stopped the engine and there was still a hum.....so opened the bonnet. The noise is coming from the passenger side... now dont ask me about engines but it was I think from the back there is a large black plastic cover seemed to be a hum whistle a little rattle. So its not the engine as that was off... will get it checked just wonder if its normal.

skygate

skygate

Advanced Member

• 137 posts
  • LocationMiddx
  • Vehicle Driven:Dacia Duster 1.5 dCi Laureate

Duster Laureate 1.5 dCi , year 2016 (from 01 February) 4x2.

Greatest car I ever had before (paper Toyota, blunt Insignia, Chrysler Cruiser and so on, similar dumps earlier).

47K miles on the clock. At 46.2K replaced clutch (not a manufacturer`s fault but mine- following the idiotic advise here on the forum "not to use First gear).

No one fault from the beginning (one tyre puncher is not counted), no services in the Dacia Centre (oil change at time in friend`s garage, use only Shell Helix Ultra Professional 5W30 A-RL), no oil consumption, average 59 mpg in a combine cycle.

Lawrence13

Lawrence13

• 6 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster laureatte diesel

I have the Laureate 1.5 DCI 2x 4  in Grey  ( I nneded it for a journey and they could only do grey intime)  I purchased last November and sadly my mother became ill and died in January so I had to concentrate on her in that period. Anyhow I have to say I just love this car. I've never been one to waste money on fancy cars I started buying brand new back in 1995 with a punto, then two Suzuki wagon R's  and finally a suzuki igness 1.1,

When I first test drove the Duster I too felt it was sluggish by comparison to my ignis but as others have pointed it out its all about adapting to the gearing  and now it seems to take off when needed. 

I have to say that this is the best car I've ever driven, yes I know its a basic interior and so forth but I just love the feel of this car, its like going up from a gorgi/dinky car to a Tonka. It feels robust, comfortable, nice driving position and too me a great feel  from the car. I feel like I'm in a large safe space with oddles of power and economical as well. I'm still not  great with the idling engine cut out system  as in winter I don't want blowers on  running just of the battery whilst waiting in traffic; but saying that if used correctly I'm  sure you'd see some modest fuel savings. Yep I love my Duster can't wait to drive it again

• Like x 1

samo

samo

• 3 posts
  • LocationBratislava, Slovakia
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster 4x4

A month ago we got the 2017 model. I wish the 2018 had been available, but we would have to wait 10 months and we needed it sooner, plus you know it is, they say 10 and then it's 15. Choosing the Duster was a no-brainer for us: It's used as a work car for surveyor jobs during work hours and as a second family vehicle during weekends and evenings. I, as a student, only use it in the second scenario (evenings and weekends).

We picked the 4x4 1,6 model in white in what's called an "Arctica" trim. I'm happy we didn't get the big SatNav screen. In the Arctica version we have the small radio with Bluetooth connectivity, USB and aux-in (no CD). It's great but I wish it had some more display options and clock somewhere else than the gauge-cluster. 

We went for the optional armrest which is convenient. It seemed in the way at first, but I got used to it quickly. Especially, with the hill-hold feature (which now I see as something which should be mandated on all cars) I don't have to reach for the hand break as often as on other cars. I haven't seen the backup camera integration and I don't know if it's possible without the big screen. But I wish we picked at least the backup sensors, as the rear window is big but too high-up to see most city obstacles (or even short cars directly behind you in traffic)
Comfort is alright, but on the best, so it wouldn't be the best choice for longer travels. All noises could be better isolated and seats could be more comfortable. The ride-height is good, however the A pillar is on the thicker side and some controls are weirdly placed. And the plastics are cheap. To the ergonomics: for example when the light informing you about low fuel turns on, the estimated distance left stops being displayed and showing "----" instead.

When it comes to driving I don't feel discontented from the road (compared to other SUVs), the whole car feels smaller than it is. The transmission is the biggest disappointment: clutch's bite point is really high up the clutch pedal and the first gear is really short, actually all gears are really close to each other. On the 6 speed 4x4 Duster you basically drive always one gear higher than on other 6 speed cars. You can get used to it, but with the clutch pedal's long travel it becomes annoying and most probably will result in premature wear. However the very short first gear is handy during hill climbs and surely will be great for off-roading. As I read in the documentation, it's advised/ok FOR THE 4X4 MODELS to start on the second gear on even surfaces. I do so regularly on slight down-hill roads and sometimes on even city roads. However, once you start moving the car can be zippier than you though it was but you will see it on the fuel economy. I could have more power, on uphills it losses breath.

The fuel economy, low power and weird transmission are things you will have to live with. However, I enjoy driving this car - the approach angles and the height give me confidence in all situations. Plus the low price gives you confidence in a weird way too (if this is not your only car). And you can get used to the ergonomic issues - I'm sure most of them have been solved in the 2018 model.

I want to give it a bit more distance before trying the off-road capabilities, I will try to keep you updated. 

dgc

dgc

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 1212 posts
  • LocationLea Valley
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster '13 1.5dci 4x2 Stepway '14 1.5dci both Laurettes
Garage View Garage

I brought my 4x2 Duster Laurette 1.5 dci from the local Renault garage in 2014 on the spur of the moment, was in there for a Scenic which was being driven out as I went in, I had always been interested in the Dacia Duster. What can I say, only problem I have had with car is that the "clock spring wiring assembly" for the steering wheel airbag decided to spring out of it's carrier, steering wheel off fitted a new one, otherwise just normal servicing. I was always a bit weary of the slight  engine hesitation when pulling away, but solved that with the Superchip upgrade.

Had the Audis, Mercedes, Renaults, Fords, VWs etc but the Duster doe's currently what I need from a car, driving mostly up and down country roads and lanes.

Anyway the Duster has philips led driving lights, roof spoiler, spare wheel kit, a seat cover set to improve the interior, changed radio to a Media Nav unit, later grill, a towbar and electrics, roof crossbars, blind set from carshades ltd, uprated discs and pads. SuperChip upgrade.

widu13

widu13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 979 posts
  • LocationSussex
  • Vehicle Driven:Phase 2 2014 Duster Laureate 1.5 dCi 4x4
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 43.611
Garage View Garage

Duster Laureate 1.5 dCi , year 2016 (from 01 February) 4x2.

following the idiotic advise here on the forum "not to use First gear).

Only the 4x4 starts in 2nd gear!  :huh:

• Agree x 1

dgc

dgc

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 1212 posts
  • LocationLea Valley
Garage View Garage

On the flat my 4x2 will quite easily pull away in 2nd gear as the gearbox I believe is similar to the one fitted to the Renault Scenic XMOD, Stepway version of the Scenic, no four wheel drive but a low first for limited "off roading".

widu13

widu13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 979 posts
  • LocationSussex
  • Vehicle Driven:Phase 2 2014 Duster Laureate 1.5 dCi 4x4
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 43.611
Garage View Garage

On the flat my 4x2 will quite easily pull away in 2nd gear as the gearbox I believe is similar to the one fitted to the Renault Scenic XMOD, Stepway version of the Scenic, no four wheel drive but a low first for limited "off roading".

Unless you have the "wrong" gearbox fitted the 4x2 should be driven normally it has a different 'box to the 4x4. My Landrover would pull away in 3rd...you get the idea.

dgc

dgc

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 1212 posts
  • LocationLea Valley
Garage View Garage

widu13, I know what you mean, where I notice it is when in slow moving traffic I can creep along in 1st gear with the clutch fully engaged, whereas on our Stepway we have to slip the clutch. I believe the 4x2 has a low first gear, but the gear spread is wider than the 4x4 because the 4x2 is biased for mostly road work and the 4x4 biased for off-road all the gears are that extra bit lower. Anyway 4x2 or 4x4 great car doe's what is says on the can.

OOB

OOB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationLONDON
  • Vehicle Driven:Dacia Sandero Ambiance 1.2
Garage View Garage

Bought the Duster Access in Jan 2018. Happy with it so far. Installed my own radio and speakers. I later found out the new model comes out in summer 2018 and found there was special offer on the Dusters around March 2018 - a bit late for me. Previously I use to own a Sandero 1.2 Ambiance before and I found the Duster Access 1.6 is more nippy and better on the motorway. Also the Duster is much more roomy (both the cabin and boot) than the Sandero.     

samo

samo

• 3 posts
  • LocationBratislava, Slovakia
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster 4x4

to the 2nd gear discussion: You are able to do it vs. you should do it is a bit of a difference. 

Bought the Duster Access in Jan 2018. Happy with it so far. Installed my own radio and speakers. I later found out the new model comes out in summer 2018 and found there was special offer on the Dusters around March 2018 - a bit late for me. Previously I use to own a Sandero 1.2 Ambiance before and I found the Duster Access 1.6 is more nippy and better on the motorway. Also the Duster is much more roomy (both the cabin and boot) than the Sandero.     

The 2018 model, at least in the eastern Europe, has a long wait list. When we asked in January for the new model they said we would have to wait at least till the October. So maybe you would have to wait as well. Or it's just one of the many things where the more eastern you go the worse service you get.

GreenPulsar92

GreenPulsar92

• 4 posts
  • LocationEngland
  • Vehicle Driven:2018 Duster Air, 1.6 petrol, 4x2
New Duster!

GreenPulsar92

GreenPulsar92

• 4 posts
  • LocationEngland
  • Vehicle Driven:2018 Duster Air, 1.6 petrol, 4x2
New duster!

Just got the duster air 1.6 petrol in cosmic blue and love it, had it about a month so far great for the kids and dog, just wish there was a 2.0 litre model.

dgc

dgc

Advanced Member

• Premium Member
  • 1212 posts
  • LocationLea Valley
Garage View Garage

GreenPulsar92, I always fancied a 2 litre petrol version, would have had to buy a european Renault Duster, then again I like the Dacia Oroch pickup, but my 4x2 1.5Dci is just fine. Waiting for the next version Duster to be available in the UK.  

spencernj

spencernj

Advanced Member

• 103 posts
  • LocationFrance
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster 2 4x4 1.5DCi Prestige in Atacama Orange
Duster 2 First Impressions

We took delivery of our Duster 2, 1.5DCi Prestige 4x4 on 26th June. Ours is in the bright metallic Orange Acatama.

We chose a tow bar, spare wheel and carpets as options. Didn't go for the keyless ignition or blind spot warning. The windows were security etched with a serial number and entered into the French national database for recovering stolen vehicles.

So here our our impressions.

For context our last two 4x4s were a Jeep Patriot Limited and a Kia Sorento EX. Both Diesel. The Kia was 2.5 and auto. We are supposedly early retired and live in rural France but managed to (accidentally!) start a part time garden maintenance business for holiday homes that requires a trailer. Hence why we like a 4x4. We also have a Fiat 500 but intend to sell that too so with the new Duster go to one car, so we have beefed up our insurance to provide enhanced recovery and breakdown cover, a loan car in the case of breakdown, accident. Nevertheless the insurance and breakdown was €450 which is €150 less than the Kia.

After collecting the Duster we drove to the coast for the day, a round trip of about 100km. The Duster seems incredibly well screwed together, solid with no rattles. We were impressed by how quiet it was and how much smoother than the Sorento it replaced.

I suffer from fibromyalgia (but so does Lady GaGa) so I have occasionally had problems getting comfy in some cars and getting out without being bent over with stiffness, especially cars with "Sports Seats" such as those in many BMWs. The Duster seemed fine with the adjustable steering column and height adjustable seats, lumbar support and arm rest in our model.

I have no issues with the plastics (a common comment by reviewers). I think they are similar to those in the Jeep and Kia which proved hard wearing and easy to clean. I like the cabin to be a bit less black but that's a complaint I make of all modern cars. (I used to like the late 80s Japanese cars where you could have pale grey or brown interiors).

Compared to the Sorento the Duster felt a lot quicker especially in the mid range probably due to it being much lighter.

I'd brought a USB stick with music on it that worked straight away which is not our experience on some other cars where they have been finicky about the brand, size or format of the stick. I got a mini stick so it's hardly sticks out at all and is practically flush with the unit.

I found moving from an Auto to a 6 speed manual a little strange and occasionally got in the wrong gear by changing up or down too soon, I'm sure that will soon get better.

In our 100km trip we achieved 5.9L/100km (47 Mpg) which is about 50% better than the Kia and a bit better than the Patriot. I expect that to improve with a run in engine and better gear usage.

I thought the Media Nav Evolution unit was great (haven't paired it to my phone yet), but everything else worked fine. You need to do a few tweaks to the settings to get thinks like brightness, alert times, sound etc to your liking. Unlike our previous cars the Duster did not have a "hifi" upgrade (Premium speakers, woofer etc) . I'm really into my music and HiFi but thought the sound from Duster was more than acceptable for a car.

The climate control works well and is very clear. It was a very hot day 27C and it coped fine although the fan speed was a little brutal with blowing icy air on Auto so had to turn it down manually.

The trip computer does what its supposed to and I like that you can turn the digital display to show speed in figures as well on the Speedo. Although I was hoping that I could change this to show MPH for our occasional trips to the UK as the Speedo only shows KM/H and does not have MPH in small numbers (I assume the UK will be the opposite and not have KM/H). I haven't found a way to do that.

Thought the reversing camera would be a gimmick but actually found it useful reversing out of our spot in a public car park.

We chose a full size spare wheel so you lose a few inches of boot space on the 4x4 but that means you have a boot floor level with the tailgate. The boot seems more than ample and at last a car in which you can fold that back seats down without having to remove the headrests which was the case on the Kia and Jeep.

So really happy so far.

The only things I intend to do is "Scotchgard" the seats to help keep the upholstery clean. I've done this before and it works well, although wasn't needed in our last 2 cars as they had leather seats. I also intend getting a boot liner and locking wheel nuts for the gorgeous black and silver 17inch alloys.
  • Like x 3

tigersaw

tigersaw

Advanced Member

• 354 posts
  • LocationMid Wales
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 Access Petrol

Great review, keep your thoughts coming, its the car myself and others are waiting for in the UK.

Questions, is it the new blue Dci engine, and do you know if the tps sensors are in the wheels or on the rotors?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users