Attention Duster Owners! Please leave a review of your Duster! - Page 3 - Dacia Duster Forum - Dacia Forum

News Feed

View All Updates

Photo

Attention Duster Owners! Please leave a review of your Duster!

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

spencernj

spencernj

Advanced Member

• 103 posts
  • LocationFrance
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster 2 4x4 1.5DCi Prestige in Atacama Orange
No the blue engine was announced after we ordered so its the nox filter model. No idea about the TPS how do I tell. But suspect as it needs calibration (there is an option in the trip) its the rotation based one.

I haven't owned a Duster 1 but have been in few as a passenger and my impression is it's a big advance.

Another long run today and now at 55mpg.

tigersaw

tigersaw

Advanced Member

• 354 posts
  • LocationMid Wales
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 Access Petrol

No idea about the TPS how do I tell. But suspect as it needs calibration (there is an option in the trip) its the rotation based one.

I dont know either, but my intention is to have a set of winter tyres and steel wheels so if the sensors in the tyres I'd have the warning all the time

spencernj

spencernj

Advanced Member

• 103 posts
  • LocationFrance
I'll see what the manual says and let you know. It is in French and despite being pretty fluent on an everyday basis it will takes a bit of time to find things as my automotive vocabulary isn't perfect.
  • Like x 1

Daedalus

Daedalus

Advanced Member

• 1435 posts
  • LocationSheffield
  • Vehicle Driven:2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2

I think all recent Dacias use the ABS/ESC for tyre pressure monitoring. The wireless individual tyre monitors was an interim measure.

• Agree x 1

spencernj

spencernj

Advanced Member

• 103 posts
  • LocationFrance

OK now had the Duster nearly 4 weeks weeks and done 1,200 Km. A couple of longish journeys into Belgium circa 240km round trips, some work for my gardening business (with a trailer), a visit to a music festival back and forth each day over 3 days, plus the usual trips to the Supermarket etc. Living in a rural area there is no city mileage, its either local country roads, A roads or occasional motorways. I've averaged 5.1L/100Km which is 55MPG, which I'm chuffed with as the Diesel Kia Sorento it replaced would struggle to do 30MPG.

No real issue. I find it comfy, quiet, plenty of power (in the DCi version) and does everything I want. I am amazed they do it for the price. In fact I'm still looking for the Gotcha!

On the Road with extras (such a towbar, mats etc) here in France it was €22k  for a 4x4  Diesel Prestige, metallic paint, spare wheel, including environmental tax and registration (which is dear in France, about €800 for a new car). But I just specified on-line as near as I possibly could a similar specified Diesel 4x4  Kadjar and that cost €36,050 or Nissan Qashqai and that cost €34,623. I cannot see why you would spend the  €12-14k extra. Ok, I can see a (very) few cost savings. The carpet on the Duster is more of a pressed fibre than a carpet so you really do need the (extra) fitted mats. For a SUV the boot lining could be better than just carpet. Also I just washed and waxed my Duster and as I used a step ladder to clean the roof, I noted that black the fill-in strips in the joints in the roof don't go all the way to the end of the roof but only to the end of the back door, so for the last 30mm you can clearly see the weld points. But your only going to see this if you stand on a ladder. (I thought it may have been an error on mine so checked another one and its the same). I understand what people say about the hard plastics but frankly they don't bother me at all. They are wipe clean, hard wearing and realistically no worse than on my previous Kia Sorento or the Jeep Patriot my wife had, but the Dacia interior is overall much better than either of those.

On the Prestige the Auto Lights, Reversing Camera, Climate Control etc all work as they should (which is a relief as the climate control on the Kia Sorento had a mind of its own). 

A wash and a wax on a sunny day was a really goo opportunity to look closely over the car and all the shut lines are fine, everything fits fine and the build quality seems A+ 

My only small niggle so far, is the fuel gauge. I have no idea if the same problem existed on the Duster 1 but the gauge basically stay quite high for ages and then suddenly zooms into the low/zero region when the fuel light comes on, its like its practically logarithmic. The problem then is when the fuel light comes on the trip computer says you have enough fuel for 120km but as soon as that gets below 100km the display on the trip computer for Range just shows "---" which is a bit disconcerting. Literally you think you have enough fuel for 100km and then within a km you have no idea how much fuel you have left, the gauge has gone to zero and the trip computer to "---". Very disconcerting the first time.

There are a few quirks with the Media Nav Evolution but nothing spectacular and I'll stick them in a general post as its not model specific. 

As I previously said when I was as a Company car driver (when someone else was paying) over 20 years I had Audis (A4), Saabs (93 and 95), Mercs (C Class), BMWs (318 SE), and Alfa (166 Lusso), Chrysler 300C, Jeep Grand Cherokee  and a Vauxhall Omega 2.5 V6  and I am 100% happy with the Duster. 

mackem1966

mackem1966

• 17 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom
  • Vehicle Driven:All new Dacia Duster Access 1.6

Hi

Owner of an all new duster access 1.6 version

Good points : Looks nice , great suspension

Bad Points :  Mpg, cheap plastic look dashboard, noisy at speed, when you need speed quickly its very slow to accelerate.

Overall 8/10 as the price makes most niggles mean nothing, but that acceleration is painfully slow ! 

magnuken

magnuken

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationFinland

OK now had the Duster nearly 4 weeks weeks and done 1,200 Km. A couple of longish journeys into Belgium circa 240km round trips, some work for my gardening business (with a trailer), a visit to a music festival back and forth each day over 3 days, plus the usual trips to the Supermarket etc. Living in a rural area there is no city mileage, its either local country roads, A roads or occasional motorways. I've averaged 5.1L/100Km which is 55MPG, which I'm chuffed with as the Diesel Kia Sorento it replaced would struggle to do 30MPG.

No real issue. I find it comfy, quiet, plenty of power (in the DCi version) and does everything I want. I am amazed they do it for the price. In fact I'm still looking for the Gotcha!

On the Road with extras (such a towbar, mats etc) here in France it was €22k  for a 4x4  Diesel Prestige, metallic paint, spare wheel, including environmental tax and registration (which is dear in France, about €800 for a new car). But I just specified on-line as near as I possibly could a similar specified Diesel 4x4  Kadjar and that cost €36,050 or Nissan Qashqai and that cost €34,623. I cannot see why you would spend the  €12-14k extra. Ok, I can see a (very) few cost savings. The carpet on the Duster is more of a pressed fibre than a carpet so you really do need the (extra) fitted mats. For a SUV the boot lining could be better than just carpet. Also I just washed and waxed my Duster and as I used a step ladder to clean the roof, I noted that black the fill-in strips in the joints in the roof don't go all the way to the end of the roof but only to the end of the back door, so for the last 30mm you can clearly see the weld points. But your only going to see this if you stand on a ladder. (I thought it may have been an error on mine so checked another one and its the same). I understand what people say about the hard plastics but frankly they don't bother me at all. They are wipe clean, hard wearing and realistically no worse than on my previous Kia Sorento or the Jeep Patriot my wife had, but the Dacia interior is overall much better than either of those.

On the Prestige the Auto Lights, Reversing Camera, Climate Control etc all work as they should (which is a relief as the climate control on the Kia Sorento had a mind of its own). 

A wash and a wax on a sunny day was a really goo opportunity to look closely over the car and all the shut lines are fine, everything fits fine and the build quality seems A+ 

My only small niggle so far, is the fuel gauge. I have no idea if the same problem existed on the Duster 1 but the gauge basically stay quite high for ages and then suddenly zooms into the low/zero region when the fuel light comes on, its like its practically logarithmic. The problem then is when the fuel light comes on the trip computer says you have enough fuel for 120km but as soon as that gets below 100km the display on the trip computer for Range just shows "---" which is a bit disconcerting. Literally you think you have enough fuel for 100km and then within a km you have no idea how much fuel you have left, the gauge has gone to zero and the trip computer to "---". Very disconcerting the first time.

There are a few quirks with the Media Nav Evolution but nothing spectacular and I'll stick them in a general post as its not model specific. 

As I previously said when I was as a Company car driver (when someone else was paying) over 20 years I had Audis (A4), Saabs (93 and 95), Mercs (C Class), BMWs (318 SE), and Alfa (166 Lusso), Chrysler 300C, Jeep Grand Cherokee  and a Vauxhall Omega 2.5 V6  and I am 100% happy with the Duster. 

Hi, greetings from Finland, Helsinki

I bought on june 2018 a new Duster 4W TCe 115 wehicle. I have now done about 4.000 km with it, mostly master ways some 90-110 km/h. The mean fuel consumption has according to to the "car computer" been 7.3 l/100km. Quite much!

I am satisfied with the car, despite of:

- The fuel gauge is crazy! The gauge stay high for much over 100km and then begans to very rapid go towards zero. When the fuel lights come on, the trip computer tells me that there are still 70-80 km to drive. But then after some kilometers the trip computers show for the driving range "---", stupid!

- The Medianav navigation program is not of todays standard! It is very simple and can´t be configurated in many ways. There fore I have replaced the original stu stuoid Medianav program with the alternative firmware Mena.co. This is an upgrade of the former Russian firmware Menavrus for Dacia and Renault cars.

FordFocusDriver

FordFocusDriver

• 13 posts

Hi
Owner of an all new duster access 1.6 version

Good points : Looks nice , great suspension
Bad Points : Mpg, cheap plastic look dashboard, noisy at speed, when you need speed quickly its very slow to accelerate.

Overall 8/10 as the price makes most niggles mean nothing, but that acceleration is painfully slow !

There seems to be quite a wide range of opinion regarding how noisy the new Duster is. When you say it's noisy at speed, what sort of speed are you talking about, and what other vehicles are you comparing it against? Does it sound more like road/wind noise or engine noise?

I'll be going for the turbo petrol when it finally arrives, so road/wind noise will be the same but engine noise from a different engine maybe isn't so relevant. My current car (mk3 Focus) suffers pretty badly from road noise at motorway speeds (75 ish) but you can't hear the engine at all.

spencernj

spencernj

Advanced Member

• 103 posts
  • LocationFrance

I find our diesel  pretty quite and a lot quieter than the diesel Kia Sorento it replaced.

skygate

skygate

Advanced Member

• 137 posts
  • LocationMiddx
  • Vehicle Driven:Dacia Duster 1.5 dCi Laureate

I find our diesel  pretty quite and a lot quieter than the diesel Kia Sorento it replaced.

You`ll be pretty surprised once started use Kerax Hyperdrive 10W30 oil.

Clemfandango

Clemfandango

• 2 posts
  • LocationIreland
  • Vehicle Driven:Dacia Duster
Have had two dusters so far, first was just the entry level, then had the prime and upgrading again to the prestige in January 2019. Can’t find a fault with them at all. Such a good vehicle

Nerdlinger

Nerdlinger

• 4 posts
  • LocationDurness
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster Access

Got my brand new Access on Tuesday, drove from Liverpool to Durness yesterday. Very comfortable ride on a long journey. Handled better than my old Mazda 2 on Struie Hill, bit surprised by that. I went a bit slower though on the single-track roads after dark and I'm not sure why, it might be because it's a brand new car and I'm being precious but I noticed the full-beam headlamps are more focussed than I'm used to and the view to the sides (for suicidal deer) might not be so good. Also full beam indicator isn't very prominent on the dashboard, apologies to person I dazzled in Smoo. Dashboard tells me 43 MPG and falling - I've been keeping to around 65mph max. 11 miles on the clock on delivery. Tyres over-inflated to 40psi so I let them down a bit, obvs. Overall I am very pleased, this is great value motoring.

lightening_fingers

lightening_fingers

Advanced Member

• 98 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Duster 2 comfort 1.5 blue tdi

Having had my Duster II comfort for a few months now, I thought I'd put a few comments and ideas down into a short initial review.

This is my first Dacia car, its a company car of my choice, 68 plate, bought in Essex from the show room floor (display model).
I've got the 1.5 TDI (110HP) K9K engine Adblue variant in the comfort trim level, metallic orange colour.
The car was purchased outright, along with the 100K extended warranty.
My current mileage is around the 6K mark, mostly motorway commuting from mid kent to northern essex (about 130 miles daily round trip).
I performed quite a bit a research before selecting the vehicle, in particular the drive train, as I was keen on selecting a mature, strong diesel engine.
I found that in the early days the K9K development had problems, but most seem to be ironed out these days. I'm still particularly worried about EGR DPF and turbo problems (having had problems in most previous cars with all three), however this seems endemic to all modern diesel cars and should be taken as "par for the course".

First impressions:
Exterior:
The paintwork finish on this particular car seems of fairly high quality, very little orange peel on any panels, although the external plastic does feels cheap (especially the "vents" on the rear of the front arches).

The doors dont seem to close with a confident thump. Often I dont seem to close them hard enough, and need a second attempt as they've only partially latched. I'm not the only person to suffer this, both my wife and children have also had to have several attempts to close the doors. They seem to need more of a slam than you'd expect.
Likewise the door handles are VERY spring loaded, meaning that its easy to pinch oneself when opening the mechanism, and just "dropping" the handle results in a really loud "thwak".
Compared to my personal Vauxhall Zafira tourer, the doors feel unrefined in this manner.

Interior:
I've already posted in some other threads about some of the interior niggles I've already had.
In particular the polystyrene packing under the driver's footwell carpet is particularly squeaky, and when combined with the accelerator peddle stalling on the carpet when depressed, this results in a loud squeaking.
The headliner also squeaks as does the rear view mirror plastic assembly when bumps are encountered in the road.
Overall, although the plasticky interior does feel on the cheaper side, its perfectly workable, just, not very well put together.
Being almost 6' tall, and having quite a drive each day, the driving position is important to me. The driver's chair JUST about goes back far enough for me, and that combined with the steering wheel adjustments (rank and throw) means I am able to achieve a comfy position. The driver's seat arm rest feels pretty feeble, and rarely gets used.
Both driver's and passenger's seats squeak if provoked. The seats are comfy, but do not present much lumbar support (they don't hug you). The laughable cable based system on the driver's seat to "stiffen the rear support" is amusing but very uncomfortable.
With the driver's seat fully back, there is little leg room behind for a rear passenger, but it's workable and fine for a child/teenager.
The rear seats are pretty flat and poorly cushioned, but again, fine for children or teens. I wouldn't like to travel a significant distance in the back as an adult passenger.
At this equipment level, the children are pleased with the darkened glass and electric windows in the rear. Also the presence of a rear 12V outlet behind the rear seats in a blessing.
Road noise is very low when travelling on the motorway, as is wind noise. I did read in many reviews that this was addressed by Dacia via thicker glass and more sound deadening. It certainly better than my Vauxhall!
The heating in the cabin seems to take a long time to warm, I believe this is a function of a slow warming engine (efficient) and a small heater matrix.
The cabin fan is also impressively loud, out of the 4 speed settings, 3&4 both produce a loud low frequency hum.

Electrics:
Again, I've posted in other threads about the "hot mess" of an excuse of the infotainment system. My mind boggles that a system so buggy can be accepted by any sort of QA.
Problems for the infotainment system include its inability to remember when you've muted it, very limited zoom on the nav screen, having to have the system "on" with an audio source selected in order to connect a phone to the hands free system (see muting problem!), occasional crashes (opening the door and the system is stuck on the Dacia splash screen)........ the list goes on.
I notice that since collecting this car, that Dacia have updated the system to include Apple carplay, apparently this has required a hardware update to the system (which in the marketing photos looks identical). I do hope that this means they still support the system install in my car, I have several bug tickets in with Media Nav!!!!!!!
The trip computer system is quite serviceable, although my car seems reluctant to indicate the diesel tank has been filled unless it was lower than about 3/4 full when filled. At around the 3/4 full.
There is no indicator for the adblue level, and no way of checking until the trip computer tells you it is low.
I find the blue "engine cold" light distracting, although, at-least I can actually scroll through the trip display to view the engine temp gauge.
The presence of a "siri" button on the steering wheel controls is very welcome, and works well.
The height adjustments controls for the headlights is mechanical (yes cable operated) which I find bizarre, and really unrefined to use. The first time I have ever seen system like that on a 2018 model car!
The headlights cant actually be turned off! The stalk selection allows you to chose on or auto (or side lights), but when on auto, and the inevitable buggering about starts @ dusk (on off on off on off), you only have the option of turning the lights on (I suppose you could switch to side lights.....). I just cant fathom why they didnt offer "off, sidelights, on, auto" ?????
There seems much more buggering about by the lights on auto @ dusk than in my Vauxhall, again, unrefined.
The reversing camera on this trim level is a nice addition, has a fine "fish eye" wide angle, and with the addition of the target lines on the screen, makes reversing a doddle. It can get dirty when spray is kicked up, but this is a generic problem and not associated with this particular implementation.

Driving:
After the initial "run in" of the tight engine (no oil burnt so far as I can see so far) fuel consumption is around average 55mpg @ indicated 75mph (over a 4 day period of my 130 mile commute)
This is with the eco function enabled, which seems to hit the performance quite hard (there is noticeable backing off of the throttle when you engage the eco mode), although no noticeable difference in the car holding speed.
The cruise control is serviceable, but again unrefined. In particular there is a noticeable jerk when engaging the cruise control (at a lower speed than is set) and releasing the throttle. i.e. it would seem the "hand off" between manual throttle and automatic isnt seamless. The same jerk occurs when disengaging the cruise control through the brake. i.e. it seems that the cruise control takes a while to realise that you've braked, feeling like there is a bit of a fight between the cruise control throttle trying to hold speed, and the brake trying to slow you, before the cruise control disengages. This is a little disconcerting to a passenger as it makes the ride feel like you are doing more of a brake than you actually are!
This doesn't occur when cancelling the cruise through the steering wheel controls, because obviously, you aren't braking as well, so the fight isn't occurring.
Whilst cruise is set and active, the car seems to hold speed nicely. The speed restrictor function is welcome and works well, although a dash warming as well as a chime would be welcome when you overspeed (at least as an option).
So far, the adblue system has lasted 6K miles on an initial fill (if I remember, the 2X4 model has a 18l tank).
The car doesn't seem to wallow too badly on country lanes, and seems fairly well seated in gusty winds. It neither follows lorry ruts too badly, nor wanders on motorway runs.
The engine is quiet (for a diesel) and with the variable geometry turbo, is refined and responsive. The gearbox is a little clunky, but fairly smooth and easily navigated.
So far this car has been back to the garage once for an ECU warning/error associated with the emissions control system.... they cleared the code with no explanation.

conclusion:
The car is cheap, inside it feels cheap, and seems poorly (cheaply) put together.
It is what it is, but I do feel that the build and interior somewhat let down a solid drivetrain.

widu13

widu13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 979 posts
  • LocationSussex
  • Vehicle Driven:Phase 2 2014 Duster Laureate 1.5 dCi 4x4
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 43.611
Garage View Garage

Nice review @lightening_fingers - it's refreshing to see an honest review as there are many Daciaphiles on here who won't hear anything said against Dacia and key turn of phrases by way of excusing poor quality are the phrases "you get what you pay for" and "Dacia is a budget brand." I agree with them to a point but Dacia should be employing a continuous improvement model like most other manufacturers.

Your Mk 2 MediaNav is similar to my Phase 2 MediaNav which I think is poor and there improvements in my car which could have been made for literally pennies and the cost absorbed by Dacia or passed on to the customer. Overall I like my car, in fact I encouraged my 17 year old to by a new Sandero after his test and it looks like my non Dacia lease car may well be replaced by another Duster in September.

I take it yours is the 4x2 model? My 4x4 dCi is averaging a true 42mpg (calculated, not by the computer) over a 40 mile daily round trip on slow A & B roads.

lightening_fingers

lightening_fingers

Advanced Member

• 98 posts

Nice review @lightening_fingers - it's refreshing to see an honest review as there are many Daciaphiles on here who won't hear anything said against Dacia and key turn of phrases by way of excusing poor quality are the phrases "you get what you pay for" and "Dacia is a budget brand." I agree with them to a point but Dacia should be employing a continuous improvement model like most other manufacturers.

Your Mk 2 MediaNav is similar to my Phase 2 MediaNav which I think is poor and there improvements in my car which could have been made for literally pennies and the cost absorbed by Dacia or passed on to the customer. Overall I like my car, in fact I encouraged my 17 year old to by a new Sandero after his test and it looks like my non Dacia lease car may well be replaced by another Duster in September.

I take it yours is the 4x2 model? My 4x4 dCi is averaging a true 42mpg (calculated, not by the computer) over a 40 mile daily round trip on slow A & B roads.

Yup mine is the 4x2 model, not sure of the calculated consumption, just going by the trip computer.

I’ve tried to write an objective view of the car I have sitting in my drive...... over several thousand miles of driving, not just and afternoons test drive by a magazine.

I honestly feel the car is good value, just a shame it’s let down by shoddy build.

I’m sure a lot of the stereo and electrical problems can be sorted with software updates, especially the cruise control.
Non are show stoppers.
  • Agree x 1

widu13

widu13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 979 posts
  • LocationSussex
  • Vehicle Driven:Phase 2 2014 Duster Laureate 1.5 dCi 4x4
  • My Fuel Logs
    Average MPG: 43.611
Garage View Garage

To clarify; I like my Duster- it's the MediaNav that's poor. I'm knocking on 40k now and not a lot has gone wrong. Still have 3 years on the warranty, so we'll see ohmy.png

If you find yourself a Phase 1 Duster, you'll appreciate the build quality of your Mk 2 much more I promise.

lightening_fingers

lightening_fingers

Advanced Member

• 98 posts

To clarify; I like my Duster- it's the MediaNav that's poor. I'm knocking on 40k now and not a lot has gone wrong. Still have 3 years on the warranty, so we'll see ohmy.png

If you find yourself a Phase 1 Duster, you'll appreciate the build quality of your Mk 2 much more I promise.

😳

lightening_fingers

lightening_fingers

Advanced Member

• 98 posts
I’ve also noticed over the weekend that the rotating vents on the dashboard are loose and a clicking with bumps in the road.
This adds to the list of niggles, along with poor baffling in the fuel tank (sloshing of fuel when u stop at the lights) and really poor venting of the tank, meaning that the last 10 or so litres of fuel when you fill up constantly makes the pump hose click as the fuel backs up the filler inlet.

All of this again let’s the car down, which in essence seems like a solid basis for a good car.

spencernj

spencernj

Advanced Member

• 103 posts
  • LocationFrance

So I’ve had my Duster II 1.5TDCi Prestige 4x4 for just over 6 months now and covered just over 8K KM and so thought I would update my previous review. This is for a LHD vehicle. I have no idea of the RHD ones would or should have any different build quality issues. French Prestige vehicles came with 17inch wheels (I see that UK ones have 16inch but the keyless entry was an option).

It’s worth noting that I have no brand loyalty to Dacia or any other car brand (which probably explains the mix of cars we’ve had over 40ish years). I’m not the sort of person who feels that brand loyalty is relevant. When choosing the Dacia we simply wrote down our requirements and then looked at the cars that met our requirements regardless of “brand”. We being (early) retired also went from two cars to one so this was an important choice.

The exterior remains in great condition and looks very good and the finish looks good and hard. No stone chips yet which is a common problem where I live and our previous Kia Sorento had several.

Having gone for the Orange colour which might not be everyone's taste its easy to find in the carpark! But with the black alloys does look nice and I’ve had a few compliments.

The reversing camera does get dirty pretty easy (around here) and so the lense needs regular wipes

I’m still happy with the design of the interior although my daughter did call it “robust looking” when she saw it. She has a Fiesta. Our two previous family 4x4’s have been a Kia Sorento and a Jeep Patriot and the Duster II interior is very similar in materials to both, and similar to the Jeep Renegade we looked at before buying the Duster. But I agree its more “basic” than my previous company cars but they were high spec Audis and BMWs etc and cost many time more. It’s my opinion that a 4x4 should have a practical and cleanable interior and I feel the Duster meets that requirement. This means for me I find it practical. Living in rural France it’s often muddy or snowy here in the Winter and very Dusty in Summer. The fact that I can wipe down all the interior with a damp cloth and give it a quick spray with “Mr Sheen” and its as good as new is a real bonus to me.

I have NO squeaks or rattles whatsoever over any terrain which is good as that's a pet hate of mine. (I once took out a roof lining to get to a rattle on a sunroof and took out a dashboard to get to an annoying squeak.). I really don’t see any build quality issue at all. It all seems well put together to me and everything works as it should. On mine I don’t have any issue with the cruise control it works as it should and seems no different to that on the Patriot and the Sorento or my company cars.

I remain unconvinced with the “carpet” it is more like a compressed card/felt and you can see staples in the back where its stapled to the soundproofing. So the pukka fitted mats are a real must.

The climate control still works well it’s hardly ever touched just left set at 21C apart from the press of the defrost button I cold or damp weather.

We rarely carry passengers as children have left home so can’t comment on experience in the back. We have fitted a thick wipe clean boot liner which is handy as I run a small part-time gardening business and tools, fluids and chemicals get put in here if the trailer is full.

In winter you really do need to let the glow-plug lights go out before your try and start the engine or it fails to start. Unlike the Kia which you could just turn the key immediately. We’ve had some heavy snow and the 4x4 worked a treat. Very stable. I did (in an empty carpark) try to gun the engine and fool the system but it was stable with no wheel spin.

One strange point is that Average consumption has risen from 5.1L/100km to 5.5L/100km (55Mpg to 51Mpg) since the start of Dec. No idea why don’t know if its to do with the cold or perhaps being better adjusted to the car I/We are driving it a bit more aggressively.

Being an early model car it has the “Windows” based MediaNav system rather than the “Android” one fitted to late 2018 cars. I have absolutely no problem with it. It connects fine to my Android phone and I can take and make calls and see the directory. Works the same with my wife’s iPhone. I don’t use Spotify or Dezzer etc as I prefer to own my media. So I have my music and audiobooks on a couple of mini USB sticks (the very tiny ones so they hardly stick out) and I am very happy with that. It works fine. It works with every USB stick we’ve used. I’ve played music over bluetooth just as an experiment but don’t use that. I understand from people I have talked to and on here the updated Android system on newer Renault and Dacia cars is at present a bit buggy. I find my system easy to use and easy to load music on. The Kia could only play music from an iPhone or Ipod which meant dealing with iTunes (Yuk) and a 2010 Fiat 500 we had in the household for a bit was a pain as it failed to work with a high percentage of usb sticks. I have used the Dacia site and the downloaded software to update the software and get the latest maps which worked fine but was a bit of a slow process. I Sat Nav seems fine and does everything I need (but these days being retired it’s finding hotels for trips away, parking in cities, airports and train stations and shops etc.). I drive everywhere with the Nav on and speed limit warnings on as sadly France is starting to get like the UK for mobile cameras .

So far no faults and no need to return to the garage.

lightening_fingers

lightening_fingers

Advanced Member

• 98 posts

So I’ve had my Duster II 1.5TDCi Prestige 4x4 for just over 6 months now and covered just over 8K KM and so thought I would update my previous review. This is for a LHD vehicle. I have no idea of the RHD ones would or should have any different build quality issues. French Prestige vehicles came with 17inch wheels (I see that UK ones have 16inch but the keyless entry was an option).

It’s worth noting that I have no brand loyalty to Dacia or any other car brand (which probably explains the mix of cars we’ve had over 40ish years). I’m not the sort of person who feels that brand loyalty is relevant. When choosing the Dacia we simply wrote down our requirements and then looked at the cars that met our requirements regardless of “brand”. We being (early) retired also went from two cars to one so this was an important choice.

The exterior remains in great condition and looks very good and the finish looks good and hard. No stone chips yet which is a common problem where I live and our previous Kia Sorento had several.

Having gone for the Orange colour which might not be everyone's taste its easy to find in the carpark! But with the black alloys does look nice and I’ve had a few compliments.

The reversing camera does get dirty pretty easy (around here) and so the lense needs regular wipes

I’m still happy with the design of the interior although my daughter did call it “robust looking” when she saw it. She has a Fiesta. Our two previous family 4x4’s have been a Kia Sorento and a Jeep Patriot and the Duster II interior is very similar in materials to both, and similar to the Jeep Renegade we looked at before buying the Duster. But I agree its more “basic” than my previous company cars but they were high spec Audis and BMWs etc and cost many time more. It’s my opinion that a 4x4 should have a practical and cleanable interior and I feel the Duster meets that requirement. This means for me I find it practical. Living in rural France it’s often muddy or snowy here in the Winter and very Dusty in Summer. The fact that I can wipe down all the interior with a damp cloth and give it a quick spray with “Mr Sheen” and its as good as new is a real bonus to me.

I have NO squeaks or rattles whatsoever over any terrain which is good as that's a pet hate of mine. (I once took out a roof lining to get to a rattle on a sunroof and took out a dashboard to get to an annoying squeak.). I really don’t see any build quality issue at all. It all seems well put together to me and everything works as it should. On mine I don’t have any issue with the cruise control it works as it should and seems no different to that on the Patriot and the Sorento or my company cars.

I remain unconvinced with the “carpet” it is more like a compressed card/felt and you can see staples in the back where its stapled to the soundproofing. So the pukka fitted mats are a real must.

The climate control still works well it’s hardly ever touched just left set at 21C apart from the press of the defrost button I cold or damp weather.

We rarely carry passengers as children have left home so can’t comment on experience in the back. We have fitted a thick wipe clean boot liner which is handy as I run a small part-time gardening business and tools, fluids and chemicals get put in here if the trailer is full.

In winter you really do need to let the glow-plug lights go out before your try and start the engine or it fails to start. Unlike the Kia which you could just turn the key immediately. We’ve had some heavy snow and the 4x4 worked a treat. Very stable. I did (in an empty carpark) try to gun the engine and fool the system but it was stable with no wheel spin.

One strange point is that Average consumption has risen from 5.1L/100km to 5.5L/100km (55Mpg to 51Mpg) since the start of Dec. No idea why don’t know if its to do with the cold or perhaps being better adjusted to the car I/We are driving it a bit more aggressively.

Being an early model car it has the “Windows” based MediaNav system rather than the “Android” one fitted to late 2018 cars. I have absolutely no problem with it. It connects fine to my Android phone and I can take and make calls and see the directory. Works the same with my wife’s iPhone. I don’t use Spotify or Dezzer etc as I prefer to own my media. So I have my music and audiobooks on a couple of mini USB sticks (the very tiny ones so they hardly stick out) and I am very happy with that. It works fine. It works with every USB stick we’ve used. I’ve played music over bluetooth just as an experiment but don’t use that. I understand from people I have talked to and on here the updated Android system on newer Renault and Dacia cars is at present a bit buggy. I find my system easy to use and easy to load music on. The Kia could only play music from an iPhone or Ipod which meant dealing with iTunes (Yuk) and a 2010 Fiat 500 we had in the household for a bit was a pain as it failed to work with a high percentage of usb sticks. I have used the Dacia site and the downloaded software to update the software and get the latest maps which worked fine but was a bit of a slow process. I Sat Nav seems fine and does everything I need (but these days being retired it’s finding hotels for trips away, parking in cities, airports and train stations and shops etc.). I drive everywhere with the Nav on and speed limit warnings on as sadly France is starting to get like the UK for mobile cameras .

So far no faults and no need to return to the garage.

Do you have the ADblue variant? If so how are you finding the ADblue useage?
I’m currently on 7.5k miles on my first 18l of ADblue (I believe the 4x4 has a 14l ADblue tank.....)

As my engine is getting more run in, I can easily achieve 55-60mpg on my 130 mile commute (2x4) what sort of speeds do you engage the cruise control @?
I normally select an indicated 75mph

It’s interesting that your cruise control doesn’t misbehave like mine. It’s particularly frustrating when you engage or resume the cruise at a speed below that selected, ease off the throttle, and the ECU takes a good 1-2 seconds to continue the acceleration up to the programmed speed.
Certainly comparing to an expensive Audi cruise control, I know for sure this isn’t the way a “refined” system works. The cruise control engagement should be seamless, without the hesitance before the ECU takes control.

Interior wise, ive stipped some of the polystyrene from under the “carpets” and headliner, and now most of the squeaks have gone.
Just the air vents that now “click” on the dashboard..... over bumps It’s associated with their fit into the dash, if my wife “holds” them, all of the clicking disappears.
When I get around to it, I’ll post a video of the offences.

Sat nav wise, the medianav really is a hot mess.
I’ve had bugs raised with the support team since nov , still no news on any fixes (running the latest firmware and maps updates).
I personally don’t dig the brown on brown colour scheme and the gui in general . Looks like it’s been designed by a 5 year old.
I’ll consider an aftermarket swap, there are lots of great headunits out there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users