UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!!

I was just wondering if the 1.2 engined Logan is underpowered?

How do you Logan 1.2 owners get on day to day with it?
Do any of you wish you had gone for the TCE engine?

I tried the 1.2 in the sandero last year and I thought it was a good little engine, but the Logan is a bigger car.

Thanks for your comments!!

Clarkie

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Hi all!!

I was just wondering if the 1.2 engined Logan is underpowered?

How do you Logan 1.2 owners get on day to day with it?
Do any of you wish you had gone for the TCE engine?

I tried the 1.2 in the sandero last year and I thought it was a good little engine, but the Logan is a bigger car.

Thanks for your comments!!

Clarkie
I've got the TCE, but can't see there being much difference really between the Sandero and Logan, I've recently looked at the technical specs of the cars on the Dacia website and there's not much in it weight wise the Sandero weighs 941kg, the logan weighs 1016kg with the 1.2 engine, actually quite shocked at how light these things are. The weights exclude the driver, but if your not loading the thing to rock bottom every journey the 1.2 should pull fine.
My dealer back when I bought mine wouldn't entertain the 1.2, but if you plan on keeping it long term, I'd guess the tce with the savings in road tax, no need for cambelt replacement should work out a bit cheaper in the long run, plus the tce will zoom up a hill, fully laden or not, not sure about the 1.2. Hope this helps :-D

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm with Carlos, but I will add that if you plan on doing any motorway miles then perhaps the Tce or diseasel would be a better choice.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If you look at the specs, a 1.2 75hp is producing roughly the same amount of power as the 90hp 1.5 diesel on ECO. Not a fantastic comparison dynamically; but as they say there's no substitute for power, the other 15 HP makes a lot of difference. The Logan diesel is 75hp so its the extra torque that makes a huge difference on the road. That said there are thousands of 75hp Logans out here on both petrol and diesel and they don't seem to have a problem keeping up with traffic. Is it underpowered? well compared to what? Its not going to win many traffic light Grand prix if that's what you mean but running on petrol - not LPG they climb hills ok laden and cruise at motorway speeds so as a means of transport they definitely work. The 1.2 engine is getting a bit old now and its not as efficient as the 90 tce. If it was my money the choice would be between the diesel and 90hp petrol - and the diesel would take the honours. I am sure the 90Tce is very nice engine but there's something about it I cant put my finger on . . . . and I feel the same way about Fords latest 1 ltr - showing my age says her in doors!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help and comments!

My daily commute is only a 14 mile round trip and really the only time I use motorways is if we have a holiday in this country.

The TCE is a fair bit more money and the road tax difference between the two is only around £100 per year if I remember correctly so it would take a long time to get that extra money back spent on a TCE engined Logan.

I would be quite happy with the 1.2 as its a tried and tested engine by Renault, its just whether the 1.2 would be too sluggish for what I would want to use it for?

Thanks y'all!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
My best advice would be take a test drive in both variants, that way you can make the best decision for you. On a side note the 1.2 is by far the last complex so on paper at least should prove to be the most reliable.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My best advice would be take a test drive in both variants, that way you can make the best decision for you. On a side note the 1.2 is by far the last complex so on paper at least should prove to be the most reliable.
Cheers Skip. Taking a test drive in both would be the logical answer.

I think the way engines are going with regards to going smaller with a turbo fitted will end up costing a small fortune to repair when they go wrong. That's why if the 1.2 did the job, I would go for it as its a tried as tested engine!!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thanks for your help and comments!

My daily commute is only a 14 mile round trip and really the only time I use motorways is if we have a holiday in this country.

The TCE is a fair bit more money and the road tax difference between the two is only around £100 per year if I remember correctly so it would take a long time to get that extra money back spent on a TCE engined Logan.

I would be quite happy with the 1.2 as its a tried and tested engine by Renault, its just whether the 1.2 would be too sluggish for what I would want to use it for?

Thanks y'all!!
if your going for the access then it is alot of money, 1500 I think, that'll buy alot of petrol and road tax.
Give it a try in the logan, engines and cars I find rather odd these days, the figures rarely add up in the real world our c max has over 100hp (115???) and higher torque than my last car 68hp 70 torque, yet the smaller engined car could climb a hill and have to wait at the top while the larger engined car would struggle to climb it.
The same can be said for the tce, lower on power than the c max, yet alot more agile.
There's loads of ambience sanderos popping up around here(not quite as exciting as an access I know) , mostly white, and id guess more than 50% would be the 1.2, it sounds quieter than the tce on drive by too, good luck with it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if your going for the access then it is alot of money, 1500 I think, that'll buy alot of petrol and road tax.
Give it a try in the logan, engines and cars I find rather odd these days, the figures rarely add up in the real world our c max has over 100hp (115???) and higher torque than my last car 68hp 70 torque, yet the smaller engined car could climb a hill and have to wait at the top while the larger engined car would struggle to climb it.
The same can be said for the tce, lower on power than the c max, yet alot more agile.
There's loads of ambience sanderos popping up around here(not quite as exciting as an access I know) , mostly white, and id guess more than 50% would be the 1.2, it sounds quieter than the tce on drive by too, good luck with it.
I would be very tempted by the Access but the only thing that puts me off is the lack of central locking!! I quite like the look of the basic/poverty spec look!! Im weird I know!!!!!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I would be very tempted by the Access but the only thing that puts me off is the lack of central locking!! I quite like the look of the basic/poverty spec look!! Im weird I know!!!!!
I'm with you on that, I think it'd be ok once you get used to it, the logan still has painted bumpers though,
I'll admit no dacia sighting excites me more than a sandero or logan access sighting :-D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Cheers Skip. Taking a test drive in both would be the logical answer.

I think the way engines are going with regards to going smaller with a turbo fitted will end up costing a small fortune to repair when they go wrong. That's why if the 1.2 did the job, I would go for it as its a tried as tested engine!!
Turbos do instantly add a massive amount of potential problems, diesel's are even worse with the ever stricter emissions controls. Regrettably these emmissions systems are now detrimentally affecting the engines, causing sludging of the oil and carbon build up. In the case of the PSA HDI engines this is prematurely destroying turbos, not only that but if the correct feed pipes etc aren't replaced then the new turbo quickly follows it's predecessor.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Turbos do instantly add a massive amount of potential problems, diesel's are even worse with the ever stricter emissions controls. Regrettably these emmissions systems are now detrimentally affecting the engines, causing sludging of the oil and carbon build up. In the case of the PSA HDI engines this is prematurely destroying turbos, not only that but if the correct feed pipes etc aren't replaced then the new turbo quickly follows it's predecessor.
Modern day hdi engines are the pigs, bring back the old 1.9 dt!
The first engine that got me into diesels, the 1.6 hdi and 1.4 hdi (but in a ford) put me off them for life.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Hi All

I've got the 1.5 dci Ambiance Logan. The no road tax appealed to me,plus I like the extra torque you get from a turbo diesel

(having driven diesels for years ). Modern cars seem to be going with the smaller turbo petrol engine, with an increase in HP. Not sure if I fancy one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts