UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello once again:)

I'm still trying to choose what engine to order for my new Stepway (or may be even MCV...) I like the diesel engine consumption, how it accelerate. And my last 3 cars was diesel ones. But acording to the EURO5 regulations all new diesels have DFP/FAP filters. Ecology is great. But acording to the all issues with the DFP filters, I began to think about 0.9TCe engine. And it's drives me crazy.

The main problem whith that DFP is regeneration. You must drive with a high rpm for a 20-30 min. In a summer time it's not a problem for me, but in winter I have terrible driving for diesel (for example, today I drove: 6km-2km-4km-7km-7km with a average speed 32km/h and 41MPG with my 1.4TDI) so once a week I go to the highway and drive 40 km with high rpm to blow out all sheet from DFP.

And look what I find on the Nissan Juke forum (the same 1.5DCi I think):

"Hi All,

I got atechnical explanation to clarify the DPF mystery in case anyone still has doubts...

On previous generation Nissan 1.5 dci engines, there was a DPF light - this would illuminate if the enginemanagement systemdetermined that the DPF could be blocking up by sensing exhaust back pressure and the history of your driving style (worst case is slow speed, stop-start). The light would come on telling you to drive the car a 'high' speed for a sustained period to increase the exhaust gas temperature and burn off the soot...

On the Euro 5 version (fittedin your Juke, if you have a diesel of course..), there is no DPF light. The engine management system has OCS (oil condition sensing).. this system determines if it believes the DPF may be at risk of being blocked in much the same way, but to regenerate, it does not require you to drive at higher speed for a sustained period. Instead, it uses 2 strategies..

1. Post-injection of fuel - after the main combustion event (the one that creates your power..) there is a small additional injection of fuel that burns into the exhaust, increasing the gas temperature, burning off the soot..

2. The engine is fitted with a 5th fuel injector in the exhaust that pumps fuel into the DPF to raise the temperature and burn off the soot

Both are done regardless of engine/driving speed and are invisible to the driver.

The side effect of the post-injection is that there can be some dilution to the engine oil during regen, and so multiple regens can degrade the oil quality.

The OCS system constantly estimates the reduction in oil performance and calculates the new service interval required.

So, no need to worry about the DPF again...

Hope you can understand and that this helps..."

tried today to speack with my local dealers, but they haven't idea about this... Maybe you know anything about DPF/FAP regeneration on the new Sandero/Logan 1.5DCi engine?

Thank you in advance for your answers ;)

·
Registered
517 Posts
as far as I can tell the Dacia (renault) regen system will not and cannot affect the engine oil, it is a 5th injector fitted to the exhaust manifold. It's claimed that high rpm are not required for regen. that said I would advise against the diesel if most of your journeys are short ones. Diesels work best if worked hard for long periods.

edit: unlike other makers Dacia dont list the DPF as a service part - so they expect it to last as long as the car so I suspect you have nothing to worry about with oil depletion and DPF regen. OCS is doing something else, but the handed down wisdom is change the oil before its due. :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've covered nearly 100,000 miles in the last 2 years in various cars using the Renault 1.5dci all having the DPF and i can report the following

1. No oil contamination or increase

2. Very little noticeable difference during regens to performance/running

3. some loss of economy during regen but not much

compared to my ASX which has the other style of system (added fuel not 5th injector) and that has constant oil contamination/poor running during regen and very poor economy

As they say, nothing to see here

1 - 3 of 3 Posts