UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my Duster (1.5 Diesel) serviced by local dealer. Somewhat surprised to see no oil change, just a top-up. Have Dacia changed service requirements (as my last Duster had its oil changed at 12,000 mile service) or is this just the local dealer cutting corners?

cheers

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
For Elf Evolution Fulltech FE 5w-30 High Performance Engine Oil which I use, Elf state and I quote from their specification. "contributes to the increase of the intervals between the drains. The interval can rise up to 30000 km," which is 18000 miles. The main word in that quote is "can", I no longer do the mileage, (6000 - 8000 miles) so I change the oil once a year when the service and MOT are done, even then I have had the oil change / service warning come up and changed it prior to the MOT. Out of interest I would ring up another dealer and see what they say.

This seems to answer the question when looking at the Nissan Qashqai 1.5 with the K9K engine https://www-europe.nissan-cdn.net/content/dam/Nissan/za/Maintenance/Split/Qashqai/Qashqai_1.5D.pdf

·
Registered
208 Posts
The petrol one is 18,000 too. I think I'll be getting mine done at the first service anyway, it's gotta be better! I may hit about 9k by then, due to less miles at the mo.

I tend to do about 15k a yr as I use the car for my job, but 18k seems a long time for the oil to be in there!
But, I suppose they know more than me!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reckon I will just change the oil myself. If I leave it to service intervals the next time it will be back at the dealers it will have done at least 24k miles as I average around 12-13K/yr and in my book thats too long. Thanks for all the inputs

·
Registered
43 Posts
Personally I would get onto the dealer, the first service is one of the most important, to get that old oil out and see that it's not showing metal particles, would be one of the most life saving things that you can do to a new car. I usually service between 10K to 12K or yearly which ever comes first, it only costs around £20 to oil change & filter's out, for the life of the engine it's one of the most important things you can do ... !

·
Registered
208 Posts
. I usually service between 10K to 12K or yearly which ever comes first, it only costs around £20 to oil change & filter's out, for the life of the engine it's one of the most important things you can do ... !
Wow, £20 for oil and filters!! Is that at the dealers, as to buy just the oil is £35+!

I have just bought my car, and when looking at the services, mine would fall between the A & B services, so say I hit 14k miles at the time of the first service, it would be 4k short of the oil change included B service.

My local Dacia dealer said they would do an A & B service in my case, as I would be expecting to do the 14k.

However, as I am expecting to do less than the 14k at this time, I will just get the A service done and pay the extra £20 (hopefully!) for an oil change along side the service!

As Deano says, better to do it earlier on that first service! The most crucial oil change!

Don.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can get Mannol 7511 5w30 (Fully Synthetic) from Ebay for about £22 for 10 Litres ... I got Black friday deals from Ebay and EuroCarParts ... Their own Crosland air filter was £2.50 and Mann W79 Oil filter was £5 so for a grand total of £17.50 I can service the car with Oil / Oil Filter / Air filter ... I've just picked up 10 Litres of Blue coolant from Ebay for £5.99 which includes a Ebay voucher for £10 off ... I have now got enough Oil & filters for my next 5x services ... !!!

Mannol is a reputable German manufacturer of oil ... It's brilliant stuff and half the price of GTX or the like and fully synthetic ...

AutoDoc was doing a 38% off deal a while back, I now have all my Timing belt & Tentioner and drive belt & tentioner & waterpump for £106.99 delivered for the 1.5 110 DCI motor in my Ruster... !!! Take advantage of these deals, if you track the discounts you can save yourself loads of money ...

I simply wouldn't let a dealer touch my car when it comes to Oil & filters ... You don't know what oil they use (Usually the cheapest crap in a 35 gallon Drum) ... & they charge you for a non existant cabin air filter ... I have 4x previous bills for my car in my service history for cabin air filters & when I eventually got in to the cabin air filter to check it, it was the very one that the car was supplied with 7 years ago when the car was made !!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Wow, good prices! Will have a look.

Of course, mine is still under warranty, so need to be careful with want oils etc I use. Spoke to my local Dacia dealer, they use the proper Elf stuff for the services.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah be careful what the dealer tells you (Usually the cheapest crap in a 35 gallon Drum) when your cars out of the warranty period ... You might actually get it serviced better & for far less ... I've never rated the Elf stuff myself, it's French so foreign to me !!! ... I have always used GTX and Mannol personally and all my cars have always done well over 200K & serviced regularly ... My duster is the newest car I've ever had, so I want to treat her well and know that the stuff going in is good quality, as well as being done right, and not done by the local Dacia apprentice ... !!! ;-)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah be careful what the dealer tells you (Usually the cheapest crap in a 35 gallon Drum) when your cars out of the warranty period ... You might actually get it serviced better & for far less ... I've never rated the Elf stuff myself, it's French so foreign to me !!! ... I have always used GTX and Mannol personally and all my cars have always done well over 200K & serviced regularly ... My duster is the newest car I've ever had, so I want to treat her well and know that the stuff going in is good quality, as well as being done right, and not done by the local Dacia apprentice ... !!! ;-)
Bizarrely, the spec sheet from Dacia recommends Castrol oil! I used to run my Honda Civic Type S on Castrol Edge, and that was fine.

Yeah, whilst under warranty, I will be using them, but after that will look into the Mannol! Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
Yes, I kept with the dealership whilst my Duster was under warranty as it is an Indian special just in case the rust broke out, let them do only the minimum regarding servicing, which worked out quite well as they called the car in for a free of charge 2 day cavity wax job along with giving me a courtesy car. As before the dealership used Elf Evolution Fulltech FE 5w-30 oil on the services in my case.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Still be careful what they say & what they actually do ... ! They are obviously there to make money, and cutting corners seems to be one way of doing that (Cabin air filter example) & charging you for what they usually haven't done is one of them ... Use them for the warranty stuff, then after that "Asta la vista baby" and your wallet will be better for that also ... !

They say they use quality or premium oil on the recept for the service, I used to work for Euro's and the amount of 35 gallon drums of general shit oil that we shifted was unreal ... And you can bet that the garages used to bill their customers on the receipt for premium or quality oil when in actaul fact it was just general purpose recycled motor oil ... !

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah ... See this is the sketchiness of the various Dacia Franchises out there ... In my book as long as the Oil is of reputable quality, and is to spec 5w30 ... then it's good for me ... All oil is produced to spec's ... I.E. it lubricates the engine, so it's just a matter of preference & what we all want to spend ££££ on it ... ;-) At the end of the day the oil is going to be changed in 12,000 miles or yearly so it's gonna work till then if I keep an eye on the oil level ... Looking back at the service history of my Duster ... It misssed an air filter at the last service and was just topped up with oil @ 25,000 miles on the oil change ... So I've just changed the oil / oil filter / air filter / cabin filter and have spent 2 days underneath the car painting it in black bitumin paint, adding chassis body bungs ... and now she's Looovely ... !

Removed the rear lights and removed all the muck that was behind there too ... !

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah, it was 5w30, synthetic but when I asked what brand she had to go off to check.
Total is not what I want in it! But is prob ok.

They are a Ford/ Renault/ Dacia garage, so prob one oil for all, whereas the other (Renault/Dacia) at £99 uses Elf. Prob go to the former for 1st service at £77 as just cabin filter and checks, and do my own oil change.

Deano the engine oil on this is changed at 2yr / 18k!!

That's why I am looking to get it done at the 1st service..

·
Registered
43 Posts
I see what you mean ... Personally I'd change it 15,000 miles tops ... Oil is cheap compared to an engine change, and I'd want to get all that old stuff out ASAP and the new in ... It's easy to change the oil, just make sure it's the drain plug for the sump and NOT the gearbox !!! ... It's a bit of a faf with the 4x4 Duster and a steel Sump guard, but it's doable and a sense of achievement when it's all done after saving yourself £70 / £80 from the dealer knowing it's been done right & a quality oil has gone in ...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah, it is a long time for the first oil to be in! Mine is the new 1.3 petrol, so hopefully should be fairly easy.
I predict I may do about 9k miles when so hit service time, so that will be about half way. Prob a good time to do it.

I ride bikes too, currently a 1250 Suzuki Bandit, and generally do it every year, covering only about 300 miles!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts