UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, apologies for my first comment on this board being a long-winded doom post but has anyone else noticed rust forming on their white Sandero?

Our car is a 2018 Essential model in white which has lived a cosseted life, washed/waxed regularly with barely over 4000 miles covered and it resides nowhere near a salty coastal environment. To my disappointment, I’ve found it’s literally peppered in rust and some of it is concerning.

The more I look for rust the more I find and I’ve not gotten invasive yet, fully removing trim, grommets or door seals etc.

Areas worthy of note but not limited to:

Three doors have corrosion/rust forming around the cut-outs for the locking mechanisms, two of them have rust forming around the large black hex screws around the mechanism and paint is stating to flake/bubble around them.

One of the rear door hinge brackets has visible rust sandwiched between it and door frame/B Pillar causing the sealant to crack/separate, the paint is also starting to bubble around it – This is my main area of concern.

The front driver door hinges both look suspect with possible rust/corrosion underneath them, the top hinge also has something peeling away from between it and the frame of the car, the top hinge pin is also heavily corroded (they're all corroded to certain degree)

The guttering/clip that holds the rubber seal on above the doors is rusty on the edges that are visible (rear) both sides. The small weep hole or panel join above the drivers door is also showing signs of rust.

The underside of the Bonnet, most of the drain holes/cavity openings are showing signs of rust, even those covered by clear plastic stickers are rusting.

A panel join/seam above the left rear brake light (boot open) is showing signs of rust along its edge.

Finally, where it all began and got me looking, what I assumed to be a missing screw underneath the Fuel filler cap there is an empty screw hole that is beginning to rot to the point the hole is no longer circular, body rust is also visible around and underneath the three screws around the filler cap.

I’ve also noticed clusters of small speckles of what looks like rust under the paint in multiple locations but I’m not 100% sure it’s actual rust, it could well be external contamination – though it does not come off with a normal hand wash and wax – currently holding off using something like Iron-x or a clay bar to try and remove them due to the car going in for inspection in a few days.

Has anyone else experienced problems like this? The car is well within its six year body/corrosion warranty and it’s booked in for an inspection next week but I’m not holding my breath. The dealer didn’t ask many questions, neither did the Body Shop they referred me to as to the car’s servicing history or how bad the rust actually was.
With servicing being done independently and not by Renault/Dacia I suspect they’ll possibly use this to refuse any warranty work plus the rust hasn’t progressed to the point it could be considered as “perforated”

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Hood
Automotive design Hood Publication Automotive exterior Rim
Shoe Leg Automotive tire Gas Automotive design
Cleanliness Fixture Gas Auto part Composite material
White Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Bumper
Office supplies Automotive design Sleeve Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust
Hood Automotive tire Grille Automotive design Synthetic rubber
Water Sleeve Grey Automotive tire Wood

·
Registered
92 Posts
I unfortunately suspect you'll be told that all of those are 'cosmetic' and that nothing needs to be done. Technically that is probably true as none will likely develop into anything significant for a number of years, but it's still very disappointing to see on a four year old low mileage car. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I unfortunately suspect you'll be told that all of those are 'cosmetic' and that nothing needs to be done. Technically that is probably true as none will likely develop into anything significant for a number of years, but it's still very disappointing to see on a four year old low mileage car. :(
It's extremely disappointing considering it's been cared for far more than the other cars we have, one of which is coming up to 13 years old (2009 Micra) and there's not a hint of rust on it anywhere.

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
2,257 Posts
Checked my 8 1/2 year old car and no sign in any of those places. My car is never waxed and has only been washed courtesy of the dealer on annual service since covid. Before that it was the occasional automatic cheapest car wash when Morrisons gave me a voucher.

I'd put some grease on it as rust needs air and water to form.

P.S. Where you have lifted the rubber strip that could be caused by retaining clips in the strip and may rub off.

·
Premium Member
2020 Sandero Stepway, 1977 MGB Roadster
376 Posts
Hopefully you haven’t been using washing-up liquid ?

Mine gets the very occasional 4€ car wash followed by a quick dash along a dual carriageway to dry it off.

One of the disadvantages of a white car is that the only time it looks clean is just after it’s been washed but it’s no consolation to you. It would seem you’ve got a duff one, and that waxing is a waste of time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's obvious it has missed the metal primer coat. U can't expect a galvanized body at this price.

Our good 'friend', AMBVOL, will be most happy to read this & he can take the stage with you!
Hmm.

My suggestions
take the car to a friendly paintwork/ shop and ask for an opinion.
contact Dacia with your concern
Don't do any "greasing "yet until you have an "expert " opinion.

Just looking at one particular area - the door hinge pins these are usually ( on cars that I have had )unpainted and I think rustproofed /galvanised and not painted they might even been stainless. Any mild steel part unprotected will start to corrode when exposed to our weather. I think on other cars that i have had greasing the door hinges was part of the maintenance procedure.I just have examined my 3 month old car and being super critical found one pin with a spot of edge corrosion.

I agree with the other postings that the corrosion areas that you have observed might not progress to serious consideration for several years but it is interesting bearing in mind the examples given of very old cars with absolutely no rust. One explanation is of course is the lighter and cheaper generation of cars are not built / designed the same and perhaps built with 2030 targets in mind . I wonder what the latest Renault Clio doors hinges are like

AMBVOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked my 8 1/2 year old car and no sign in any of those places. My car is never waxed and has only been washed courtesy of the dealer on annual service since covid. Before that it was the occasional automatic cheapest car wash when Morrisons gave me a voucher.

I'd put some grease on it as rust needs air and water to form.

P.S. Where you have lifted the rubber strip that could be caused by retaining clips in the strip and may rub off.
That was the first thing I checked, whether it could be transference or staining from something within the rubber strip but nope, it's crusty body rust. Thanks for checking your car though, glad your 8+ year old example is fine. Grease isn't really feasible given how many spots there are and their locations, locations where it would likely rinse off overtime plus there are clusters of what appear to be rust spots, lots of them all over on top of the bonnet, unsure weather its actual rust or Iron particles/fall out - I'm holding off doing anything invasive until it's been look at by the body shop. That being said I'd rather repair properly than go down the route of caking the rust spots in grease or rust proofing Duster style.

Hopefully you haven’t been using washing-up liquid ?

Mine gets the very occasional 4€ car wash followed by a quick dash along a dual carriageway to dry it off.

One of the disadvantages of a white car is that the only time it looks clean is just after it’s been washed but it’s no consolation to you. It would seem you’ve got a duff one, and that waxing is a waste of time.
Given the fact that others have posted their cars, twice as old as mine seem fine is rather annoying (for me) considering the really low miles our car has covered and the care it's received. I usually pay to have the car washed and hand waxed at a local car wash, like I do with the other cars we have and I do the occasional detailing myself with Amazon Basics car care products. It seems I probably would have been better off not washing or waxing the car at all :mad:

Hmm.

My suggestions
take the car to a friendly paintwork/ shop and ask for an opinion.
contact Dacia with your concern
Don't do any "greasing "yet until you have an "expert " opinion.

Just looking at one particular area - the door hinge pins these are usually ( on cars that I have had )unpainted and I think rustproofed /galvanised and not painted they might even been stainless. Any mild steel part unprotected will start to corrode when exposed to our weather. I think on other cars that i have had greasing the door hinges was part of the maintenance procedure.I just have examined my 3 month old car and being super critical found one pin with a spot of edge corrosion.

I agree with the other postings that the corrosion areas that you have observed might not progress to serious consideration for several years but it is interesting bearing in mind the examples given of very old cars with absolutely no rust. One explanation is of course is the lighter and cheaper generation of cars are not built / designed the same and perhaps built with 2030 targets in mind . I wonder what the latest Renault Clio doors hinges are like

AMBVOL
The Car is booked in at a Renault Body shop for inspection next week, I wont be doing anything to it until they've looked at it and greasing the rust spots wont be an option, I'd rather have them repaired, assuming it's not silly money if Dacia decline warranty repairs which I fully expect them to do. The hinge pins aren't really a concern, it's the hinges themselves and where they attach to the car body and door, there's rust between them and around them, picture 1 is my main concern and I don't know what's going on with pictures 5 & 6.

We usually run our cars into the ground and I fully expected the Sandero to last around 10 years and I very much doubt that's going to happen this time. It's pretty obvious there's something very off with Dacia's paint and anti-corrosion treatments, lack of consistency vehicle to vehicle. As you say there are people here with older first generation cars with no rust at all. We have access to a 2016 Laureate Logan that has over 50k miles on it and there's not a hint of body rust anywhere on it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That was the first thing I checked, whether it could be transference or staining from something within the rubber strip but nope, it's crusty body rust. Thanks for checking your car though, glad your 8+ year old example is fine. Grease isn't really feasible given how many spots there are and their locations, locations where it would likely rinse off overtime plus there are clusters of what appear to be rust spots, lots of them all over on top of the bonnet, unsure weather its actual rust or Iron particles/fall out - I'm holding off doing anything invasive until it's been look at by the body shop. That being said I'd rather repair properly than go down the route of caking the rust spots in grease or rust proofing Duster style.

Given the fact that others have posted their cars, twice as old as mine seem fine is rather annoying (for me) considering the really low miles our car has covered and the care it's received. I usually pay to have the car washed and hand waxed at a local car wash, like I do with the other cars we have and I do the occasional detailing myself with Amazon Basics car care products. It seems I probably would have been better off not washing or waxing the car at all :mad:

The Car is booked in at a Renault Body shop for inspection next week, I wont be doing anything to it until they've looked at it and greasing the rust spots wont be an option, I'd rather have them repaired, assuming it's not silly money if Dacia decline warranty repairs which I fully expect them to do. The hinge pins aren't really a concern, it's the hinges themselves and where they attach to the car body and door, there's rust between them and around them, picture 1 is my main concern and I don't know what's going on with pictures 5 & 6.

We usually run our cars into the ground and I fully expected the Sandero to last around 10 years and I very much doubt that's going to happen this time. It's pretty obvious there's something very off with Dacia's paint and anti-corrosion treatments, lack of consistency vehicle to vehicle. As you say there are people here with older first generation cars with no rust at all. We have access to a 2016 Laureate Logan that has over 50k miles on it and there's not a hint of body rust anywhere on it.
I hope you are successful with your claim . You certainly seem to have cause for a formal claim .

My veiws

You seem to possibly have what was commonly called a lemon.
These could either be an unreliable model of a vehicle for any reason causes many consumer complaints

Another which might prove more appropriate is A Friday Night car. This is a car possibly the last one on the production line before the line is stopped for before the next shift or the line needs stopping for a regular refresh

Sorry if these comments appear flippant, but there is some truth in these statements. I am old enough to have spent some years in my youth on production lines- albeit now primitive by today's standards .

I am sure many forum members will be following the outcome of your problem with interest

Ambvol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope you are successful with your claim . You certainly seem to have cause for a formal claim .

My veiws

You seem to possibly have what was commonly called a lemon.
These could either be an unreliable model of a vehicle for any reason causes many consumer complaints

Another which might prove more appropriate is A Friday Night car. This is a car possibly the last one on the production line before the line is stopped for before the next shift or the line needs stopping for a regular refresh

Sorry if these comments appear flippant, but there is some truth in these statements. I am old enough to have spent some years in my youth on production lines- albeit now primitive by today's standards .

I am sure many forum members will be following the outcome of your problem with interest

Ambvol
I hope I am too as I suspect getting this repaired properly to a reasoable standard would be a costly endeavour outside of the warranty. I’m holding my breath though.

I also think I’ve gotten a bad “Lemon Car” considering that there is corrosion all over it and these are in areas you can see without removing rubbers or trim. The pictures I uploaded only show a selection of rusty areas, there are more not shown.

The car is being looked at on Thursday but this might get pushed back to next week depending on family commitments yet to be confirmed but I’ll post back to this thread once the body shop have had a look at it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today went worse than expected, the car needs over £1k worth of work (rough estimate) to take care of the visible rust, some of which is pictured above and that won’t be a proper job as our bonnet is apparently rusting from the inside out and ideally needs to be replaced which would cost a lot more plus more problems could be found once the car is stripped down, again increasing the cost.

The person we spoke to was about as straight as they come, told us what we expected, chances of getting this done under warranty would be slim to none due to not having a dealer service history but he was going to try anyway and our best bet would be going down the route of contacting Dacia Customer Service and seeing if they can help. Currently waiting for Dacia to contact the repair centre who will in turn contact me.

It was obvious the guy at the repair centre had a very low opinion of Dacia and he was pretty clear in a careful, guarded way - If we go down the route of paying ourselves for this to be repaired, we’d be back within a year with the same problems if not more, the car is not worth repairing due to the paint being suspect (he said it was too thin) and we’d be better off getting rid of the car due to it being worth around what we paid for it new in 2018.

Pretty damming from someone who works at a dealer/manufacturer approved repair centre, literally trying his best to dissuaded us from throwing work their way :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hmm
Today went worse than expected, the car needs over £1k worth of work (rough estimate) to take care of the visible rust, some of which is pictured above and that won’t be a proper job as our bonnet is apparently rusting from the inside out and ideally needs to be replaced which would cost a lot more plus more problems could be found once the car is stripped down, again increasing the cost.

The person we spoke to was about as straight as they come, told us what we expected, chances of getting this done under warranty would be slim to none due to not having a dealer service history but he was going to try anyway and our best bet would be going down the route of contacting Dacia Customer Service and seeing if they can help. Currently waiting for Dacia to contact the repair centre who will in turn contact me.

It was obvious the guy at the repair centre had a very low opinion of Dacia and he was pretty clear in a careful, guarded way - If we go down the route of paying ourselves for this to be repaired, we’d be back within a year with the same problems if not more, the car is not worth repairing due to the paint being suspect (he said it was too thin) and we’d be better off getting rid of the car due to it being worth around what we paid for it new in 2018.

Pretty damming from someone who works at a dealer/manufacturer approved repair centre, literally trying his best to dissuaded us from throwing work their way :(
LURKER
I am sorry to hear your bad news. I suspect that DACIA will not be generous in their response.
I think the obvious answer is what you have already in mind as you have already established that you will actually gain by changing the car.
Many members of the forum I am sure will be greatful for your report and take note of the lessons to be learnt.
I am sure many owners will look at their car and probably find that their car is ok .
Probably you have been unlucky in having a Friday night car.
I have a new white Sandero and will now inspect it for any signs of your problems regularly.
Your story reminds me of a work friend of around 60 years ago who bought a Renault Dauphin . I can almost hear him now when he said to me it's a great car but the paintwork is too thin.

Ambvol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm

LURKER
I am sorry to hear your bad news. I suspect that DACIA will not be generous in their response.
I think the obvious answer is what you have already in mind as you have already established that you will actually gain by changing the car.
Many members of the forum I am sure will be greatful for your report and take note of the lessons to be learnt.
I am sure many owners will look at their car and probably find that their car is ok .
Probably you have been unlucky in having a Friday night car.
I have a new white Sandero and will now inspect it for any signs of your problems regularly.
Your story reminds me of a work friend of around 60 years ago who bought a Renault Dauphin . I can almost hear him now when he said to me it's a great car but the paintwork is too thin.

Ambvol
I don't think they'll be generous either and it's pretty clear from what I was told today, even if the car is repaired, either by Dacia or we pay to have it repaired ourselves, the car is still suspect and will more than likely develop more rust further down the line.

We don't know what we're doing with the car yet, doubtful we'd pay for the repair ourselves seeing as it likely won't last or would end up being a whack-a-mole situation so replacing it is a distinct possibility. Had the soon to be discontinued Sandero Essential still been around the £10k mark new we likely would have traded our current car in for one without hesitation as the person who drives it quite likes them.

Just for clarity, our car has over 30 individual rust spots/patches in 10 separate areas around the car body. We found a pretty bad spot yesterday, the cut out in the front passenger door for the hinge stopper is corroded both on the outer and inner skin despite being caked in grease.

·
Premium Member
2020 Sandero Stepway, 1977 MGB Roadster
376 Posts
The Renault Dauphine was shipped across the Channel from France (nice salty journey) in bits, no rust treatment, and assembled at Slough. From there it was distributed all over the UK and started showing rust everywhere within 12 months.

·
Premium Member
Azurite Blue Sandero Stepway dCi 63 plate (2013) with permanent dashboard illumination.
4,177 Posts
The Renault Dauphine was shipped across the Channel from France (nice salty journey) in bits, no rust treatment, and assembled at Slough. From there it was distributed all over the UK and started showing rust everywhere within 12 months.
I know, I owned one ! :mad:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I must say I'm a little surprised that you'd not had it dealer serviced whilst it's still under warranty, but the lack of a dealer service history in itself should make no difference to the warranty as long as you can prove its been serviced to the correct schedule, including corrosion inspections, at the correct times/mileage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I must say I'm a little surprised that you'd not had it dealer serviced whilst it's still under warranty, but the lack of a dealer service history in itself should make no difference to the warranty as long as you can prove its been serviced to the correct schedule, including corrosion inspections, at the correct times/mileage.
We’ve always had our cars serviced at the same local Garage as I trust them to actually carry out the work, given the car’s extremely low mileage I would imagine a dealer wouldn’t bother doing anything to the car and I’d be wasting upto £160 for nothing other than a stamp. Also, ignorance plays a part in this, I had no idea something a corrosion warranty would be conditional, requiring a full dealer service history in the event of a claim though this didn’t stop us claming for a pretty major and dangerous fault which cropped up 18 months ago, nearly causing an accident and requiring the car to be recovered to the dealer which was actually caused by a corroded electrical part if you would believe.

The annoying thing is, most of the rust would not be spotted unless you were looking for it in a bright environment. I imagine a mechanic working on the car in a workshop bay would struggle to spot even the rust under the bonnet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Dacia warranty says, with respect to anti-corrosion:
"The customer must present the Owner’s Handbook with the Service records duly documented (validation of the anti-corrosion check coupons) to justify entitlement to the warranty.
The application of the Anti-Corrosion Warranty depends on the anti-corrosion inspections carried out on the bodywork, subframe and underbody.
The inspections must be carried out at the mileages stated on the Warranty & Service Sheet and at least once every two years. The periodic services within the Dacia Network include these inspections
."

A fully stamped book book from your local garage should be sufficient but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Dacia argue about it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have the laws changed re warranties ? I thought as long as you had any servicing done at a VAT registered garage and any parts used were OEM then your warranty was unaffected ?
I say this because some years ago my son bought a 2ltr Hyundai Coupe from a non franchised garage, anyhoo the auto box packed in, did a bit of research and found out the gearboxes on these cars had manufacturing faults, we contacted Hyundai GB and they said to take it to our local dealer who fitted a new box, on completion the Manager told me we were lucky to have it done as the last oil change it had, they had used a non OEM oil filter and that would have negated our claim even though it was not connected to the gearbox fault.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Digressing a bit ,

there are three possible arguments why DACIA might reject the claim. :

the car has not been serviced by Dacia
the problem has not previously been recorded during a service
the problem has been caused by a paintwork quality problem and this expires after two years.

The strongest route for a claim would be in my opinion, risk the cost of making a legal claim in a small claims court.
Even the possibility of this might persuade Dacia to be generous. and offer a partial contribution.

Personally I suspect that the car can never be refinished to the standard that you would expect. Even if you got a partial contribution it would not be much - they would take into account your 4 years use of the car and the value of this in any offer.

I would look to part exchanging the car especially if you can get what you paid 4 years ago.

Ambvol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts