UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys,
Anyone tried fitting 245 mm tire to Duster ? Will it fit or there would be a side friction with any parts ?

The original duster tire size is 215/65/16 and I am considering the 245/55/17 for sand crawling, or the more higher 245/60/17 as it will add about 2 cm of extra ground clearence.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using DaciaForum.co.uk mobile app

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi guys, Anyone tried fitting 245 mm tire to Duster ? Will it fit or there would be a side friction with any parts ? The original duster tire size is 215/65/16 and I am considering the 245/55/17 for sand crawling, or the more higher 245/60/17 as it will add about 2 cm of extra ground clearence. Sent from my GT-N7100 using DaciaForum.co.uk mobile app
Antavi may be able to advise you regarding clearances Sameh

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok waiting.

Meanwhile I am still wondering if the 245 wide will fit ? Or will touch any surrounding parts ? Otherwise I will go for a 235

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks dear, the tire dealers in my country are terrible, they will take the short cut and say NO keep the original !!
The german add shows the width is possible, but for sure not such a low profile for off road

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Egypt

then u better search on youtube for videos from germany especialy

they are the ones that modified dusters a lot

so u might find some ideas there

its a bit extreme what u want but it can be done up to a point ofcourse

ps. and if u are a man please dont call me dear........its creepy for me

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
220 Posts
The big tires look nice on the Duster. My reservation is that if I wanted to climb dunes in the desert or just slog through sand the last thing I'd want to do would be raise that first gear ratio with larger diameter tires since the Duster has no transfer case with low range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The big tires look nice on the Duster. My reservation is that if I wanted to climb dunes in the desert or just slog through sand the last thing I'd want to do would be raise that first gear ratio with larger diameter tires since the Duster has no transfer case with low range.
You are absolutely right, raising the ratios will decrease torque to the side of fuel economy. Perhaps another point might be considered is the higher the tire the easier it can overcome penetration into sand, the lower the tire the more the rolling resistance when part of the wheel penetrated sandy ground

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have 225 70 16 on my duster and that is as tall as you can fit. It only has a couple of mil clearance with the inner wing and shield. you may be able to get a bit wide but not as tall on but I doubt it. Looks great on taller aggressive tyres though they will impact fuel a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think you could go to 245 on width but would have to reduce the profile. You can't get any taller without altering the arches or a big suspension lift as it will catch on the wheel arch liners.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
I like the chunky tyre look alot ... and would love a set of chunkier winter tyres for George...

but

i still worry if the tyres are physically bigger...width/depth...should you have the speedo re-callibrated and adjusted so its still accurately telling u how fast ur going?

cos the extra depth of the tyres increase the diameter of the tyre, and so mean the system is no longer accurate.

i know they "say" there is lee-way built in....but guessing its 4% or 6% is just that....guessing....and the argument "there is inaccuracy built in" would not stand in court...

also using the sat-nav as a speedo is innaccurate because the time it takes to bounce about the satellites builds in error...

do the extra torque / wear / stresses that the increase in diameter of the tyres will inherently put on the mechanics of the car, by demanding more energy to turn them, affect the warranty???

·
Registered
50 Posts
With relation to speedo there is a 6% error built in for legal reasons and safety.
The difference from standard tyres size. is 5.2%
Some dealers may use the change as a excuse for warranty issues.
The only additional stress can be from the rolling resistance increasing or lateral forces on bearings etc.
Remember when u put stuff in the car you make it heavier and this means more force is required to turn the wheels and more stress put on the drive train. Even if you fully load the car and tow a trailer to its limit you are still inside any design tolerances.
This tyres size is regularly put on dusters in Germany and Romania etc with no reported issues. You are not overloading the stress on the car unless you load it and a trailer to the limit then take it off road then you MAY get near it's limit.
If you drive your duster through thick mud and it sticks to the tyre it will make you have the same stress as this small increase in tyre size
At the end of the day it's each persons preference to modify or not and whether they want to risk a warranty etc. I am happy I am not doing anything that will damage my duster or over stress it.
For example I modified my discovery with 12% bigger tyres and lots of heavy metal protection underneath and roof racks and other kit. Including suspension lifts etc. It threw the speedo way out and I had to improve the brakes to cope with the additional rolling mass and weight. It was still legal. I just noted where the speedo would read in relation to real speed.
Ref sat navigation it's pretty accurate as a general guide. Certainly as accurate as your speedo as most speedos are digital these days. The law only cares how fast you go and not what your speedo actually says.
Lgv and pc and police vehicles etc have their speedos calibrated to ensure they are spot on for evidence purposes. Normal cars allow a overead so if you change tyres etc you can't get into trouble and sue the car company.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts