UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
would suggest little chance as all the showrooms seam to have the top of the range cars in . But most of them have 2x4 @4x4 you may just have to try one , and think of it with out the bells @ whistles . Most of the additions are just cosmetic or toys. des

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes your probably right. I have road tested a 4x4 diesel laureate at the dealer but wondered what the petrol was like. Also the rear suspension is different and i'm interested to know if the drive experience is different with 5gears. Why they don't have the basic version available seems strange as their advertising campaign is all about the price £8995. Perhaps we would all like the top of the range, but some of us have a limit somewhat lower. I'll probably have to wait until mine comes through and then decide before I part with the money.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
I also want to test drive the petrol. My local dealer in Watford currently has no idea when they'll be receiving one.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
I own and have driven nearly 300 miles in an Access model, although it is 4x4.
The petrol engine is quite capable of moving this car along at an acceptable pace, although I'm keeping rpm below 3,500 for the first 600 miles as recommended in the handbook. Coming from a diesel Panda it's nice to have a quiet, smooth engine under the bonnet. Fuel economy probably not great but I expected that. If I only had £8995 I would be very happy to own the 4x2 Access model.
Maybe I'm easily pleased but I'm just delighted with my Duster. It's simply a comfortable long distance tourer with acres of space for passengers and luggage. Everyone who has ridden in it so far has been impressed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got a 2x4 Access model on order - one of the things I may look at changing are the wheels. Maybe put some winter tyres on the steel wheels and have some alloys for the rest of the year. Has anyone looked at what alternative wheels are available ?
Do you have to stick with 16" or can something larger go on without any additional changes ?
Anyone have good links to sites offering wheels or any recommendations ?

Thanks

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi Ottoman,

Not sure if they are the best or not but http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/ seem like they have a good selection and the do cover the duster.

In relation to going up sizes you do need to be aware that it may affect your speedo accuracy.

Going up to17" with low profile tyres you will still be close to 16" with regular tyres but after that I have no idea.

I think you can find calculators to give you the difference in mph in ratio to the wheel change size. They might have one on Wheelbase but I can't remember if it was that site or not. If I come across it I'll let you know.

Reactions: Juju Beanz

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Eventually when I get time I'll take a look to see what Renault wheels fit. I think Nissan wheels also fit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Eventually when I get time I'll take a look to see what Renault wheels fit. I think Nissan wheels also fit.
That would be great Nick. It will be my first car without a spare and the thought doesn't thrill me, so it will be good to know what may be used in an emergency.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've done 900 miles in my petrol 4x4 Access over the last couple of weeks. Its not the fastest and you are in 6th gear by about 40mph.
It cruises about 60ish but fuel economy will suffer above this. On a run of just over 100 miles it did 30mpg running at about 65mph.
By comparison I get 33mph on the same journey from my RS250 Megane, and it took 25mins longer in the Duster.
So as a workhorse the Duster is a good tool but as a car for distance journeys its out of its compfort zone.
I like my Duster and its teriffic value for money.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Early doors yet, give it a couple thousand miles to break in and hopefully it will improve (a small bit). But at the same time Petrol will never be the most economical in the Duster range.

However as you say great little 4x4 and well wear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So, we picked up our 2WD Duster Access from Carlisle on Saturday morning. The 40 mile drive back home was generally pleasing. I spent some time in the afternoon fitting a stereo and 4 speakers (<£100 including delivery and conversion cables).

Sunday being Mother's Day meant a trip south, 320miles and plenty of time for a more detailed impression. Not too bad really. A bit of body roll but as you get used to driving it, it becomes less of an issue. The gear ratios are fine. I'd read about it revving high at higher speeds but at an indicated 70 it's doing just 3000 so that's not so bad and the road noise is acceptable.

On the downside, I was disappointed by the mpg. After mostly motorways and fast A-roads, I only managed 34 to the gallon. That's less than I was expecting, especially on those roads and given that we were keeping gear changes to just 3000-3500 as per the handbook.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hey Scottie, I think the car needs to be run in for a few hundred miles before you'll see better mpg.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If your after a spare then steel wheels from this website are £53 for a Duster

http://www.oponeo.co...or/dacia/duster
Hi Just to confirm that this company is Ok , just had my Duster steel wheel delivered all the way from Poland for £54 inc delivery .

Went for the Magnetto Wheels MW R1-1779 6,50Jx16 Quantity: 1 x 54 GBP option . Wheel looks good , even has a manufacturers label with suitable for DA -Duster on it . Ideal as the spare . When the car arrives I will have to check the offset .

doug H

1 - 19 of 19 Posts