UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its this normal? It doesn't always do this, but when starting off from cold, having left the car all day or all night, when I first set off in second on a flat road it acts as if it is trying to pull away in fourth. For the first few times I wondered if I was actually in fourth, but today I reversed out of the drive, slipped into second, started to pull away and the car acted as if it was in fourth, so I had to give it a few more revs to pull through, even then for a few seconds it acted as if it didn't have any power. It never does it when it's warm though?

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Sounds like you need the temperature adaptive update doing to the system!

When cold just give is a few more revs than when warm .......

Hang on I'm writing s*&te ....... book it in the the garage, they'll sort it out ...... diagnostics over the net can be laden with misconceptions :huh:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I drove it in to work tonight, about a ten minute journey down the motorway. It runs absolutely fine once it seems to have warmed up a bit. I left it for forty minutes then went out and tried it again. Perfectly fine, pulls away very smoothly. I'm being careful with the revs anyway because it's only done 100 miles, so another 800 miles and I can rev it a bit more. I'll see how it goes for a few more days.

Reactions: R-head

·
Registered
281 Posts
Its this normal? It doesn't always do this, but when starting off from cold, having left the car all day or all night, when I first set off in second on a flat road it acts as if it is trying to pull away in fourth. For the first few times I wondered if I was actually in fourth, but today I reversed out of the drive, slipped into second, started to pull away and the car acted as if it was in fourth, so I had to give it a few more revs to pull through, even then for a few seconds it acted as if it didn't have any power. It never does it when it's warm though?
It could just be that the turbo is just taking slightly longer to spool up from cold, thicker oil etc.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was my thought. As with most issues, if other people also experience this now and again, it isn't an issue. If I am alone on this, the car has something out of the ordinary going on. Time will tell I guess.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I haven't noticed it with my 4x2 but it's a common problem with the Ford vans we drive at work. Turbo lag it's called I think, roundabouts are where it occurs most on my van, try pull pull out into fast moving traffic and it's like wading through treacle for a few seconds if you forget to give it some revs first. Bloody dangerous thing to happen in some situations I think.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting that some of the reviews from India mention turbo lag as an annoyance. I wonder if its mostly a 4x4 issue. I have left the bonnet up for a few hours to really cool the engine down and as I am on a night shift I will give it a go again (tried twice now to replicate the lag and it has been smooth on both occasions).

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
You'll find it will not return until that moment you really need the turbo ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I say something is wrong if it's like you say.. I've started the car in -15c and it do run kinda weak but not that bad.

Are we talking diesel though? if not i dont know.

the 1.5dci diesel we got got a VNT turbo with a little turbo lag but it still will help at lower revs.

it will give boost from 1500rpm.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not every time, far from it. I have only noticed it on three occasions. The first time I thought I was in the wrong gear, the second it was a very mild effect that a few more revs cured, the third time was more pronounced but it may well be me being very careful with the revs owing to the running in period. I put the bonnet up overnight to make sure the engine was cold on starting. This morning on two occasions it pulled away very smoothly. Absolutely bizarre. I wonder if it might be a bit of dirt in the fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
It's not every time, far from it. I have only noticed it on three occasions. The first time I thought I was in the wrong gear, the second it was a very mild effect that a few more revs cured, the third time was more pronounced but it may well be me being very careful with the revs owing to the running in period. I put the bonnet up overnight to make sure the engine was cold on starting. This morning on two occasions it pulled away very smoothly. Absolutely bizarre. I wonder if it might be a bit of dirt in the fuel.
just wot i was going to say

u might in that moment that it had some dirt in the fuel

no worries in my opinion

·
Registered
269 Posts
Me too, once, in a 4x2. Even once when driving about 50 on a nice long road the car just lost revs, stuttered then went back to normal within seconds. Weird!

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
On Holiday
61 Posts
sounds normal to me for a diesel engine

mine does it from time to time

and mostly when i'm in a rush

diesels don't like to be rushed when cold my transit van is the same

always make sure the glow plugs have done their job give the engine 30 sec running time

anyone having probs when the engine is warm my have a problem ?

·
Registered
269 Posts
sounds normal to me for a diesel engine

mine does it from time to time

and mostly when i'm in a rush

diesels don't like to be rushed when cold my transit van is the same

always make sure the glow plugs have done their job give the engine 30 sec running time

anyone having probs when the engine is warm my have a problem ?
My 4x2 had been on a good half hour run so it was odd

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
My 4x2 had been on a good half hour run so it was odd
My 4x4 has been doing some odd things too... and getting a little worse. Thought I was imagining it at times as it seems to be so unpredictable. Pulling away in second is the norm in the 4x4 but sometimes it just will not pick up at all - won't necessarily stall but really struggles no-matter how much extra throttle you give it.

Same loss of power too... again around about 50 and would have been in 6th. Completely nothing happening for what could only have been around 1/2 a second, and then all back to normal. This happened Saturday twice, and it was driving awfully Friday, Saturday and Sunday - not a lot of low down torque and really peaky.

Had some random things too where you would take it down to around 1100 in 3rd i.e. in slow moving traffic and 2nd is too low, press the throttle and absolutely zero happens and the car gradually (and really really slowly - 5 seconds or so...) begins to pick up again - I think generally when I have got it to happen its been turning.

Does anyone have the 'lump' in the throttle response at around 2700 where it suddenly accelerates a lot better? Shouldn't do it there according to the power/torque curves, but it's really annoying and getting worse.

Fuel was different over all of these incidents for sure - all different brands and grades. Seems to be unpredictable whatever the temperature, although with a temp gauge that's never reaching normal who can tell? Car's done around 6000 in 4 months - 4x4 with ESC. I'm wondering if the ESC is the cause of this? Don't think and of this can be turbo lag, maybe below the turbo threshold so the turbo cannot physically provide any useful airflow, but the engine should be able to provide some torque itself prior to the turbo intervening. The complete loss of power couldn't be the turbo.

This does sound like a problem that Nissan had a couple of years back with the 110bhp 1.5dci in the Qashqai which seems to have almost identical symptoms - and same engine... Eventually resulted in a different map for the ECU.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hmmm interesting. I was thinking the turbo but I bought ESC as an extra! I was in a straight line though and not braking

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
There's a couple of reasons that made me think about the ESC for some of my issues. Firstly the no go when in 3rd and moving, was that when I have noticed this I've switched off the ESC and the car seems to come back to life... not sure whether that's just because of the time that has passed when reaching down to the button, or it has actually made a difference. I think I am right in saying that the 4x2 can't have this switched off? And annoyingly it reengages on the 4x4 at around 30 so I can't drive around with it off to prove a point.

The other thought for the ESC is that there are two Nissan Notes in the family, both with the 90bhp 1.5dci engine - one with ESC and one without. I would assume that they have the same system as Dacia. The one with ESC drives as badly as my Duster so put 2 & 2 together on that one!

No idea what happened the other day when it lost power the way it did at speed. Can't see that the ESC could effect that though. I've got a OBD reader that can record the data so will have a look at that. The issue that Nissan had with the Qashqai apparently was something to do with the fuel rail I think, but a different map corrected the issue - made a huge difference to the drivability of the car.

Just out of interest how does yours do for mpg?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts