UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a Duster 4x4 , as they seem a very good size and value and I drive 20k miles for work per year in all weather etc.

I have seen all the posts about rusty dusters and it is very alarming.

I know the facelift version is Romanian build , but are any of the pre facelift versions ? or are they all Indian build

Thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am considering getting a Duster 4x4 , as they seem a very good size and value and I drive 20k miles for work per year in all weather etc.

I know the facelift version is Romanian build , but are any of the pre facelift versions ? or are they all Indian build

Thanks
Make the checks to see if it is an Indian version (I believe all phase 1 are Indian) other posts on here advise you of the differences.

IF IT'S INDIAN DON'T BUY IT, I HAVE ONE AND THEY ARE RUSTY CRAP.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...it might not be quite as straightforward as that, as it looks like production of RHD Dusters for the UK market may have moved to Romania before the Phase 2 facelift:

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/09/dacia-moved-production-of-uk-bound.html

...sadly, I can't find definitive proof for you.

Joe

p.s. I'd recommend the 4x2, unless you really need 4x4...and also the 1.5dci engine over the 1.6 petrol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes was going to get the DCI , the 4x4 reasoning was the fact that my daughter lives off the beaten track and I also fly RC models and the club I belong too , we have to drive across farmers fields which are pretty rutted and when it rains or in the winter are very difficult to get across.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Thanks
I was asking a similar question on the duster forum , on reflection I think if the rust was such a problematic problem how come they sold so many, my duster was registered on the 18th December 2014 from what I can research I think it was a problem with earlier models due to high demand and the Indian plant was overwhelmed , I will be collecting mine in the next couple of days so heres hoping ! link below is a review of 4x4 duster over 10 month with no mention of rust http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/long-term-tests/dacia/dacia-duster-15-dci-laureate-4x4-2014-long-term-test-review/

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Hang on if possible till next year when the new model arrives
...but consider ordering it now, due to delivery delays!

...just kidding, but I'd agree with Giffer's suggestion re. looking for a Phase 2.

Joe

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Hang on if possible till next year when the new model arrives
Or the year after for a slight facelift, or the year after for another new model - like every product you can always wait until the next one comes out but then you could wait forever, not to mention if that next model/facelift is delayed or postponed - how long do you wait?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think that overall a relatively small percentage of Dusters were affected by the rust issue, but you only hear about the problem cars, which makes the problem seem much worse!

It's the same on most car forums. You only hear from the people with issues!

People that are happy with their cars don't post much!

The Duster is a cheap car, built to budget standards and as long as you're aware of that then they make a fine mode of transport!

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...I agree 100% with Dasher, and for the record, I have NO COMPLAINTS about my Duster - ok, there are a few very minor things I'd change, but nothing that would make me reconsider.

...I know that those with problems/issues tend to shout a bit louder and more often - quite right too, I'd be the same in their position, and I'm glad they have this forum to seek advice and hopefully get some support/comfort from.

...so here's my vote of confidence in what Dacia are doing: building decent cars at a price that suits many of us, and giving us a reasonable spec without too many unnecessary bells and whistles.

Joe
p.s. should we do a poll on positive experiences?...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies .

I understand that most people (who are happy) never post their positive experience, will make sure I pull all the rubbers back and have a good inspection (oooo errrr that sounded a bit Carry On)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Our phase 2 arrived Oct 17th 2014 and had evidence it was built July 2014 in Romania. Paperwork/stickers on the vehicle.

Ours was one of only a handful in the country aimed for dealerships as show room cars.

We were kicking up a fuss and were offered this before we rejected the sale( re face-lift happening earlier than planned and nobody aware.)

I think we had the first phase 2 on this forum.

The change of production line from India to Romania happened July 2014 in my opinion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dacia replied to me via their facebook page

The new facelift duster was manufactured only in Romania and the pre facelifts were built in India. If the Duster has the old grill then it would have been built in India.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Jimbo

Thanks for relaying that definitive advice - I had assumed from previous reading that the Phase 1 / Phase 2 change coincided with the shift from India to Romania, but I wasn't absolutely sure!

Joe

1 - 20 of 27 Posts