UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Most interesting, I was a little surprised that the maximum power actually fell slightly. Also the graph on page 14 is well out compared to the data given above it.

Nm increased by 0.06 but graph shows 2 Nm increase.

On the line that multiple power pulses kept separate promotes faster spooling of the compressor, as its a four cylinder engine with four distinct pulses it would appear to make sense that quad entry turbo would see even better results, although the complexity of the manifold may be prohibitive for design costs.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Clikfire, like all things theoretical this is a computer simulation the cyclic irregularity of the pulses is (I believe) not fully understood by the students who did this work but the physics and advantages of the extractor manifold has been understood in normally aspirated engine for a very long time. Its not that the twin port turbo increases maximum power its that it would appear to flatten the power curve and make more power available at lower RPM, this would improve acceleration and drivability immensely. Don't forget diesels "hit a wall" at around 4,000rpm, getting them over it is very expensive.

To put some of this into my perspective when I was involved turbocharging we were using Holset turbos and they ran at 23,000rpm or so (on a good day) producing hardly any boost have a look at the figures for the Borg Warner Turbo on the 1.5DCi - incredible! - is that right? 240,000rpm or do I need another set of eyeballs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts