UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my Duster for around a month now and have covered around 1100 miles but there's a few things that concern me which I would like some advice on.

1. Since day one the car has had a strange tapping noise coming from the engine when I am off the throttle. It's only noticeable with the windows open but it is very noticeable and doesn't sound normal. I have managed to figure out that the problem occurs mainly in third gear when off the throttle at around 1700-2100 RPM. It may also happen in other gears but I haven't have much time to test.

2. The power windows on the car seem to be VERY slow. They are the slowest I have had on any car by a large margin and the front passenger one has now started squeaking quite loudly. Are they normally slow?

3. The front disc brakes are squeaking on and off. The discs also started to develop some rust rather quickly but that seems to have cleared up with more driving.

4. Rear drum housing is slightly rusting around the edges. Have heard these cars are known to have rust issues, is this one of the problem areas?

And my last problem which is the worst by far and I am VERY displeased with this one. A car pulled out on me and I had to brake rather firmly and found my rear driver side passenger had plowed into the back of my seat. THE SEAT BELT FAILED. This alone almost made me reject the car as I think this is unacceptable as if we were in an accident she could well have died. Has anybody else had this problem?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should probably add that I am otherwise pleased with the car but a few of the problems, especially the seat belt one has knocked my confidence in it quite a lot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
After reading up on the rust issue some more and having a quick look around my car I found some rusty spots, mostly underneath on parts of the suspension and one big block of something in the engine bay. May have to reject the car?...

Edit: Pictures added

First three are around the suspension and last one is something in the lower front of the engine bay.

Quite a few more pictures but I think you get the point.

mbtrbl.jpg

14vlq84.jpg

6jq1d5.jpg

90w19g.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After some more driving earlier I found out that the noise which I thought was coming from the engine is probably coming from the transmission. I figure this as when I depress the clutch the noise disappears. Is this normal? :wacko:

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Don't worry about the rust on the break drums and disks or the other solid steel parts, it's normal and would take a lifetime to rust through. If you want, treat those parts with a rust inhibitor like WaxOyl.

As for the knocking noise, get that checked out.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
...without wanting to detract in any way from the seriousness of some parts of this thread - which could have horrendous consequences - I would caution against using a product such as waxoyl on any brake parts...especially anywhere near the front discs.

...I knew a girl who complained about the disc brakes on her motorcycle squeaking and rusting - she sprayed them with wd40 and both the squeaking and rusting stopped. I kid you not.

Joe

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The seat belt failure is a very serious fault. How did it fail ? A mounting point or the belt itself ?
I'm not entirely sure. I took it in to be inspected and was told it needed a new part so I am due back in next week for repair, I did not ask what exactly failed. I am quite worried about putting passengers in the back now though :unsure:

Good to know that the rust is not an issue though as I thought I had one of them so called "Rusters" for a minute there.
Will mention the knocking next week when I take the car in and hopefully update with what the problem is, if any.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Squeaky steering wheel is fixable too, others have had that. Again your dealer should sort it for you

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Squeaky steering wheel is fixable too, others have had that. Again your dealer should sort it for you
Though the wheel is squeaking, the noise I have noticed is coming from inside the engine bay when I turn and it is a high pitched noise. The dealer will have a fun time with me on Thursday with all these problems :D

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
lol do a search on the forums I'm sure others have had exactly that issue.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Though the wheel is squeaking, the noise I have noticed is coming from inside the engine bay when I turn and it is a high pitched noise. The dealer will have a fun time with me on Thursday with all these problems :D
Is it only happening when you have it on full lock? This is to be expected if you're jamming it right up against the stop on full lock, and is not conducive to long belt or pump life. In this case, the solution is just to ease off slighly when using full lock.

If it's happening with every steering input, it's most likely an overtensioned ps belt and / or faulty pump - both of which should be corrected under warranty.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
If you're not convinced that the knocking is actually from the transmission, there's a very good chance that it is actually the engine, and more importantly if it is, it's nothing to worry about. The Renault Euro5 engine uses an off-timed diesel injection to ensure clean combustion on overrun; there's also a 5th injector than introduces diesel just before the DPF for both the cleaning process and to raise the temperature quickly of the DPF/CAT - at least that's what the tech at the local dealership told me!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it only happening when you have it on full lock? This is to be expected if you're jamming it right up against the stop on full lock, and is not conducive to long belt or pump life. In this case, the solution is just to ease off slighly when using full lock.

If it's happening with every steering input, it's most likely an overtensioned ps belt and / or faulty pump - both of which should be corrected under warranty.
It is happening with every steering input, even a 5 degree turn of the wheel.

If you're not convinced that the knocking is actually from the transmission, there's a very good chance that it is actually the engine, and more importantly if it is, it's nothing to worry about. The Renault Euro5 engine uses an off-timed diesel injection to ensure clean combustion on overrun; there's also a 5th injector than introduces diesel just before the DPF for both the cleaning process and to raise the temperature quickly of the DPF/CAT - at least that's what the tech at the local dealership told me!
Good to know, will make sure it is not the engine but will still mention it to the dealer to see what they say!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Front right indicater not working now... Assuming it's blown. This car seems to be one thing after another lol.

Oh the driverside seat squeaks really loudly when there's any movement also.

And the driver window has slowed down and squeaks as well now.

Edit: Indicator is working again, I'm guessing it's an electrical fault.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Took my at in for the seat belt repair earlier and informed them of the other few problems. All foxed, including the indicator which was just a dodgy connection somewhere near the bulb.

I described the knocking noise coming from the engine and explained I believed it was from the transmission etc. When I got the car back I was told the knocking was probably coming from the brake as there is a known fault and so it is booked in to have the pads changed and some "fix" done next week. I don't think this is the problem but we shall see after it's done!

Will update next week :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So even more problems have arisen. What I assume is some sort of electrical noise is coming from the engine after I turn it off or leave the electrics on. The noise is VERY high pitched and can easily be heard half a mile away (Okay maybe about 50 metres). When the engine is on and I turn the steering wheel the noise is even more loud, painfully loud even, which leads me to believe it's the power steering pump

The steering is the heaviest of any car I have had but not so much so that it led me to believe there was a problem. Is the steering normally heavy or light?

Passenger window is loose and rattles.
Passenger door trim rattles.
Roof lining rattles.

Will be phoning the garage tomorrow to let them know how displeased I am and that it needs to be fixed. Starting to regret my purchase now :(

Will try and upload some videos I have but I am having some trouble right now.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
You should almost be able to turn the wheel with one finger, certainly with very little effort. I'm guessing a replacement power steering pump thingy is needed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts