UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
arob.wk invites me to post the details of the problem that has led me to the brink of rejecting my Duster.

I post this reluctantly as to analyse the situation further depresses me and I know there are those on this forum who do not welcome a litany of moans. Neither do I to be honest !

I love my Duster and have been very proud of the first new car I have ever bought.

Deep breath !.................

Starting just over a month ago I began to experience problems with diagnostic warning lights being displayed . At the outset this was the orange Toxic Fume Filter System warning light.I believe this monitors the exhaust gasses. Handbook says consult dealer a.s.a.p. . Subsequent displays were of the engine red " STOP " warning light . The handbook instructions are " stop, switch off engine - do not restart - consult dealer " . This display is accompanied by the engine going into limp home mode with acute loss of power. When the car is in error mode any touch of the accelerator results in the red light and immediate loss of power.

I have had to call out Dacia Assistance ( a.k.a. The AA ) four times now and the car has been taken back to the dealer three times , twice under tow. The last time it went back the ECU was replaced ( under warranty and at some considerable cost to Dacia I believe ). This part had to be sourced in Europe . This was after my dealer had reported a batch of diagnostic error codes to Renault/Dacia technical department and been authorised to replace it on Dacia's analysis. However , the car is now back with them again as the fault reoccurred on my 25 mile drive home from my dealer.

My dealer has been very obliging with courtesy cars and I believe they are doing their very best to correct matters with my car. I have only praise for my dealer's service department .

With that comment in mind you will understand that when I last returned the car to them , and served them with a notice of intended rejection if it goes wrong again , that I did this with great reluctance .

I fully accept that my contract is with my dealer and that I must give them the opportunity to correct any faults. I have notified Dacia H.O. of the situation though I believe they were already aware of it as no repairs are done under warranty without their approval.

I have some major health problems and I have to have a reliable car .

I sold my 04 diesel Corsa to replace it with my first ever new car principally to avoid the the very problems I am now experiencing. I must have a reliable car. I saw the proven technology , relatively low tech Duster Access as the ideal car to meet my requirement of reliability.

I am sorry to have lapsed into personal issues here but I felt I had to put the situation into context . I sincerely hope they are able to sort out this problem for me as I do want the car back - but only if it is not going to let me down.

If anyone sees any issues here that I should be considering , do please let me know .

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
very very sorry to hear that peter

i had similar issues with an 1.9 tdi engine in a seat leon and was the egr valve more to the point actually was the black vacuum pump which is place on the egr valve and this failure doesnt appear in the computer error list (the black vacuum pump in the picture failed to open the egr valve thus failed to engage the turbo and so resulting in lack of power and engine entering in limpo mode )

although was not a new car which is very sad in ur case but just a thought to run this by ur dealers mechanics

to check it out

i hope this can really help u :rolleyes:

it looks something like this

this is the egr valve the black thing is the vacuum pump

7241D.jpg

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hope it gets sorted, you're the only one to report this so far and loads of us have been brilling around for ages now. I say stick with it, maybe reject the car but make them supply another. It is a great car and loads of lot more expensive cars have problems. Just google a few.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I'm no mechanic but nearly all the ills that my works van has suffered in 5 years have been down to the egr valve.

That said I know you've have other problems and so I tend to agree with your decision to reject if another one crops up. I'd be asking for refund or replacement in your case, my own preference would be for replacement because it saves the hassle of sourcing a different make and the consequent wait.

·
Registered
49 Posts
arob.wk invites me to post the details of the problem that has led me to the brink of rejecting my Duster.

I post this reluctantly as to analyse the situation further depresses me and I know there are those on this forum who do not welcome a litany of moans. Neither do I to be honest !

I love my Duster and have been very proud of the first new car I have ever bought.

Starting just over a month ago I began to experience problems with diagnostic warning lights being displayed . At the outset this was the orange Toxic Fume Filter System warning light.I believe this monitors the exhaust gasses. Handbook says consult dealer a.s.a.p. . Subsequent displays were of the engine red " STOP " warning light . The handbook instructions are " stop, switch off engine - do not restart - consult dealer " . This display is accompanied by the engine going into limp home mode with acute loss of power. When the car is in error mode any touch of the accelerator results in the red light and immediate loss of power.

I have had to call out Dacia Assistance ( a.k.a. The AA ) four times now and the car has been taken back to the dealer three times , twice under tow. The last time it went back the ECU was replaced ( under warranty and at some considerable cost to Dacia I believe ). This part had to be sourced in Europe . This was after my dealer had reported a batch of diagnostic error codes to Renault/Dacia technical department and been authorised to replace it on Dacia's analysis. However , the car is now back with them again as the fault reoccurred on my 25 mile drive home from my dealer.

My dealer has been very obliging with courtesy cars and I believe they are doing their very best to correct matters with my car. I have only praise for my dealer's service department .

With that comment in mind you will understand that when I last returned the car to them , and served them with a notice of intended rejection if it goes wrong again , that I did this with great reluctance .

I fully accept that my contract is with my dealer and that I must give them the opportunity to correct any faults. I have notified Dacia H.O. of the situation though I believe they were already aware of it as no repairs are done under warranty without their approval.

I sold my 04 diesel Corsa to replace it with my first ever new car principally to avoid the the very problems I am now experiencing. I must have a reliable car. I saw the proven technology , relatively low tech Duster Access as the ideal car to meet my requirement of reliability.

I am sorry to have lapsed into personal issues here but I felt I had to put the situation into context . I sincerely hope they are able to sort out this problem for me as I do want the car back - but only if it is not going to let me down.

If anyone sees any issues here that I should be considering , do please let me know .

Peter

Peter
Sorry to here of your Problems with your Access Duster,

I have had a few troubles with my Access 4X4 as well it`s been back in with the my Dealers a good few times now with a nightmare of a running issue, it`s as if it want`s accelerate on its own around 1500, 2000 rpm with out touching the pedal, but must say my Dealer has been Very Good at trying to get to the bottom of the problem.. Think it`s the idle control valve that may be playing up a little, a common fault on Meganes so I`m told!! just have to get them little gremlins a new home and then all should be fine . Hang in there with it mate your dealer will sort it for you no worries, :D :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you to the folks who have queried the EGR valve. I have already discussed this possibility with my very reliable local non franchised garage man. He feels that yes it is a possibility but no more so than a whole host of other potential sources for the fault. I am not mechanical so can only accept what ever my main dealer says to me. I trust my main dealer .

Unfortunately it is not so easy for me to hang in there. Twenty years ago and in good health it would have been a different matter. Now I just want it resolved soon and to have a reliable car.

Thank you all responders.

Peter

Reactions: antavi and Troute

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I'm glad you posted Peter. Just quickly skimmed the thread (for now), but 1st thought is that you should reject the car. Simmy may well be right about dealer getting it sorted, but sounds like you do not need further hassle/uncertainty. I have no experience of this sort of situation, but "fit for purpose" comes to mind. If a Dacia dealer can't work out the right diagnosis reasonably quickly, then that is surely a Dacia problem, not yours. I'll go back over the thread later, but I wish you the very best for resolution asap.

Given the number of happy forum members (even those who have had a few prob's) reckon a swap for another Dacia is something you should consider (I expect you are anyway).

Rob A

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all. Some cheering words ! I am waiting to hear from my dealer but this may not be until next week. He plans to do some extended road tests I believe. I am definitely sold on the Duster and if it does come to rejection , perish the thought , I would prefer replacement .

In the past month I have only been able to drive my car for a few hours. " Things , can only get better ! "

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Oh dear I really feel for you Peter!!

They should definitely replace this car.

Some people would have been put off altogether, I admire you for sticking with the brand and it shows that the Duster really does have a unique appeal, I have not felt about any other car the way I feel about my Duster, and clearly you feel that way too.

Having said that, the Forum is definitely a place where you should post if you are having problems, don't feel bad about it, we might love them but we know they are not perfect.

It is such a shame that you have had such a negative experience with your first new car.

I look forward to reading that your problems have all been resolved and you are a happy Duster driver.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
.... the Forum is definitely a place where you should post if you are having problems, don't feel bad about it, we might love them but we know they are not perfect. ....
I may be a relative newbie to DaciaForum, but, to pick up on Maud's point above, if we can't post our moans and groans on this space, where else? If forum members consider it's a moan, I'm sure they will be reasonably gentle: if it's a groan about poor reliability, service etc etc, then, as per this thread, support and suggestions will certainly be forth-coming. Re Maud's last thought - do keep us posted Peter. We all learn by other's experiences. Again, very good luck.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all . I am very conscious of how easy it is to cast a shadow of doom and gloom across the forum and , ultimately , I believe this achieves nothing . I hoped to be informative but also to try to get across how vulnerable a position it can be .

Peter

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Thanks all . I am very conscious of how easy it is to cast a shadow of doom and gloom across the forum and , ultimately , I believe this achieves nothing . I hoped to be informative but also to try to get across how vulnerable a position it can be .

Peter
Don't for a minute think that it achieves nothing. Dacia must monitor this website, (they would be crazy not to), and do not want extended tales of woe putting off potential customers.

Please keep us up to date with exactly what Dacia (and their dealer) are doing (or not doing) to resolve your problems with their product.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Don't for a minute think that it achieves nothing. Dacia must monitor this website, (they would be crazy not to), and do not want extended tales of woe putting off potential customers.
I was thinking to offer the very same thought Boots. But I would add that I reckon the majority of "problem posts" show that Dacia buyers are pretty tolerant. We all like the maths and, I guess, are pretty happy with the few-frills philosophy, but .... if diagnostics can't trace the problem with a recurring fault, there should surely be just one solution - replacement car - with the rogue one being sorted "off-line" for resale as a "refurbished".

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dealer phoned yesterday and left an answer phone message. They have managed to generate further diagnostic error codes which they have referred to Renault Technical Centre. They are awaiting a response from them and will contact me again on Tuesday.

Reactions: Troute and arob.wk

·
Duster Forum Moderator
1,117 Posts
Sorry about all the problems Peter, I really hope it gets sorted. I agree with the other comments though that a replacement would be the best option as you may never trust this current car again. When my astra started having problems and breaking down last year I started looking for another and just didnt trust it anymore. It broke down when I had my two small grandchildren in the back (they were 2 and 1 at the time) and I had to get their parents to come and rescue them whilst I waited for the RAC and ended up being towed. I totally agree that you need 100% reliability and really hope your story has a happy conclusion.

Reactions: arob.wk and Peter31

·
Registered
324 Posts
That's really bad to hear, sorry you have had an issue. Also really surprised you have an issue with a petrol, it should be basic and reliable....I would have thought, but obviously not!

Also not good to hear of Simmy Sammy's problem too...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Peter,

I can confidently state it is the EGR valve at fault. I had pretty much the same problem of the toxic fume filter light coming on regularly, although I didn't lose power. I took my Duster in a couple of weeks ago to have another issue sorted under warranty and they diagnosed the problem as the EGR valve. This was replaced and the system had to be reprogrammed correctly. Not sure if it had developed a fault, or the system hadn't been programmed correctly in the first place.

Cheers,

Graf.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Peter,

I can confidently state it is the EGR valve at fault. I had pretty much the same problem of the toxic fume filter light coming on regularly, although I didn't lose power. I took my Duster in a couple of weeks ago to have another issue sorted under warranty and they diagnosed the problem as the EGR valve. This was replaced and the system had to be reprogrammed correctly. Not sure if it had developed a fault, or the system hadn't been programmed correctly in the first place.

Cheers,

Graf.
Hi Graf
Thanks for taking the time to review my tale of woe. You mentioned the EGR valve , as did antavi and Troute previously.
My dealer is awaiting a response from Renault/Dacia having sent a CIR to their technical section. I have mentioned to them your collective suggestion of the EGR valve and I think they will be considering this in the light of the Technical Section verdict coupled with the displayed diagnostic codes. On the last occasion one of the displayed codes indicated " a computer fault " and this has been replaced albeit with no improvement .I think the other two displayed codes indicated (1) a fault in the air temperature sensor circuit and (2) sensor supply voltage No. 1 fault.

Whether this all adds up to or points to an EGR valve problem is way , way , beyond my knowledge. Perhaps you knowledgable Forumites can shed some light on this ?

Thank you folks for your help.

Peter

Reactions: arob.wk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I note the opening of a new thread by Mass under the heading " faulty catalytic converter " in the Duster Mechanical sub section.
I wonder if there could be similarities in our problems .

In any event he reports a very alarming absence of spares and , presumably , his car remains , like mine , unusable .

D & M went through a spell of " sorry no spares available " but they were able to get her seal replacement after about 8 weeks during which she suffered an unwelcome visitor whenever it rained.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dealer phoned today as promised . Renault Technical advice Centre had been advised of fresh Diagnostic Error codes and had promised to phone back.

Dealer still awaits call from them.

I believe the dealer is chasing hard without response.

Another day................Another Duster...............Another wait ?

Peter

1 - 20 of 68 Posts