UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, As we've all done the maths, I'd say we are all fairly good at choosing a good car on a budget.

Here's the situation. My girlfriend JUST passed her test and looking to spend £1k-£2k max on a car, but she's concentrating most on MPG. We've had a bit of a look around and although the £1k-£2k budget is tight, it's not impossible. But I want some serious suggestions on older cars with low running costs.

Anyone owned any?

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Factor insurance costs into the price, depending on age of driver and location premiums can be very high on some cars.

As for the car itself, what does she need it for? if it's just herself commuting and shopping then one of the smaller cars like the Ka might do, or a little bit bigger one like a Panda. These types of car are unlikely to have been thrashed so it'll be easier to find a decent one.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
you can imagine that i am not able to give advice on that

but i have a question...

what about a dacia fobbed by insurance even thou it has i dont know

some dents or something, or broken bumpers?????

·
Registered
137 Posts
Smart For2 around 2003 - 2005 vintage should be well within the upper end of the budget.

Small, easy to drive, more than a little quirky and certainly economical. You need to buy with less than 20k miles or if around 40k -50k make sure it'e either had an engine rebuild or the price reflects it will need one.

Other than that they are great fun. I've just bought a later model, 2008, for SWMBO to use after it gets imported to Greece. Should be an interesting trip across Europe next March for the 2 of us and "minimal" luggage.

When we bought it I felt I wouldn't be seen dead in one. Actually refused to test drive it other then the dealers car park. After 3 months I prefer it to my Z4. It takes me back to my youth and driving the original Mini.

Reactions: GarildoHawg

·
Registered
895 Posts
Maybe someone on here has a car to sell ! I know one guy who wants to sell his Brand new Dacia maybe he will answer on here and make an offer

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Smart For2 around 2003 - 2005 vintage should be well within the upper end of the budget.

Small, easy to drive, more than a little quirky and certainly economical. You need to buy with less than 20k miles or if around 40k -50k make sure it'e either had an engine rebuild or the price reflects it will need one.

Other than that they are great fun. I've just bought a later model, 2008, for SWMBO to use after it gets imported to Greece. Should be an interesting trip across Europe next March for the 2 of us and "minimal" luggage.

When we bought it I felt I wouldn't be seen dead in one. Actually refused to test drive it other then the dealers car park. After 3 months I prefer it to my Z4. It takes me back to my youth and driving the original Mini.
Engine rebuild at 50k!' you make that sound normal

·
Registered
895 Posts
Not a good idea Smarts ! They are mostly thrashed and lots of faults Motor and Turbo. ! Light switch ,software for gears ,Starter motor and alternator problems as well and to get a Smart looked at its a dear job !

·
Registered
348 Posts
If she wants a slightly bigger car, there are loads of low mileage Fiat Punto's about.

A mate just bought a 52 plate 1.2 Active 5 door, 2 owners, 53,000 miles, £995. Lovely car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maybe someone on here has a car to sell ! I know one guy who wants to sell his Brand new Dacia maybe he will answer on here and make an offer
It is normal :eek:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fantastic responses guys. I've added a couple more rows to my spreadsheet (yep, spreadsheet geek here)

The one thing I don't get... what's this about engine rebuilds on smart cars? do they only last a few years? Have looked at a Smart Forfour you see... so, would very much like to know more! haha!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If she wants a slightly bigger car, there are loads of low mileage Fiat Punto's about.

A mate just bought a 52 plate 1.2 Active 5 door, 2 owners, 53,000 miles, £995. Lovely car.
As a former punto owner (W-Reg), I can speak for them. But she *really* doesn't like the look of them! I was insulted, but understood.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The one thing I don't get... what's this about engine rebuilds on smart cars? do they only last a few years? Have looked at a Smart Forfour you see... so, would very much like to know more! haha!
I only looked into the For 2 and quickly decided that I wouldn't go for a 450 (pre 2007) due to engine issues at the mileages I've mentioned. I was able to go for the much more reliable 451 which has a 999cc Mitsubishi engine but that would not be in your budget as yet.

The only 450 that is not plagued by engine problems is the Brabus but again, not in your budget.

I'm not sure if the engines in the For 4 suffer but there are a number of Smart sites to check it out. Couple of links below for you.

http://www.smartz.co.uk/index_vb.php?s=670410d86601c2e922f36fae2fa20b63

http://www.smartmaniacs.co.uk/forum.php

Reactions: GarildoHawg
1 - 18 of 18 Posts