UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

We are seriously contemplating buying the Dci 2 x 4 version of the Duster in South Africa. The car hasn't really been on the market long enough to have found any problems with it over here.

I have seen some issues reported about water dripping from the air-con which wets the carpets which could become a rather large problem.

I am also interested to know if the vehicle is reliable as we have had some nasty experiences with Renault in the past. If we buy this vehcile, it will be from new so we can get the service plans and warantees (for what that's worth).

What are the real issues with these vehcles that the slick salesmen never tell us?

Would appreciate some advice on this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks Geraint. I will certain ask that question. We test drove it last Saturday and I must admit that I was expecting something horrible having read up on it a bit. I have been assured that the "rust" problem experienced by some Dusters has been addressed but then again, car salesmen have been known to be a little less forthcoming on the known issues.

Despite this, I found the car to be very pleasant to drive. But then again, I have yet to test drive a demo model that was already falling apart with less that 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My research shows that:Currently, Renault produces the Duster in Pitesti (Romania), Curitiba (Brazil), Envigado (Colombia), Moscow (Russia) and Chennai (India).
In 2013, sales rose to over 376,000 Duster units.

Its clear that the Duster when its made properly is a very capable vehicle and has a strong following in Europe and south america. My advice for what its worth would be to buy a ex demonstrator but only after a thorough examination and a written warranty in your name. I would not take the risk on a new one which let's face it is sold unseen.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hi all.

We are seriously contemplating buying the Dci 2 x 4 version of the Duster in South Africa. The car hasn't really been on the market long enough to have found any problems with it over here.

I have seen some issues reported about water dripping from the air-con which wets the carpets which could become a rather large problem.

I am also interested to know if the vehicle is reliable as we have had some nasty experiences with Renault in the past. If we buy this vehcile, it will be from new so we can get the service plans and warantees (for what that's worth).

What are the real issues with these vehcles that the slick salesmen never tell us?

Would appreciate some advice on this.
If your not after a 4x4 why not save some cash and go for the much better looking Stepway,which to my knowledge is almost guaranteed rust free

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
SA being a relatively dry country I don't think the rust issue will be as big a deal as here even if the car is Chennai made..

The air con issues were I believe with models sold in India and the air con unit is much bigger than the UK version, also I'm pretty sure it was solved.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Advantage of the Duster over the Stepway is mainly the larger boot space and bigger/wider tyres (I believe).

·
Registered
517 Posts
SA being a relatively dry country I don't think the rust issue will be as big a deal as here even if the car is Chennai made..

The air con issues were I believe with models sold in India and the air con unit is much bigger than the UK version, also I'm pretty sure it was solved.
Rainfall in Edinburgh about the same as Capetown but I don't think they chuck salt on the roads there. Just been to my dealer in turkey over a minor issue they sorted it but had a good look at lot of Romanian dusters about 8 in all and couldn't find anything to grumble about. I had an oversized air con in a Honda a few years ago and under certain conditions it would produce fog! Inside the car, wunderfull or what?

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Hi Russell,

It's a difficult one to call, some RHD dusters made in India have had issues with corrosion. It's a problem that's currently being addressed. Where are the dusters made for the South African market? I've tried to google it but couldn't find out for you. It shows that the sandero and logan are built in South Africa but no mention of the duster. Can you ask the salesman where the car will be built before we comment further?
Cheers

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App
THE ONLY FACTORY THAT MAKES RHD DUSTERS IS IN INDIA GUYS

I SAID THIS SO MANY TIMES FOR ALL RHD MARKETS (INDIA, UK STH AFRICA, MALTA)....and pretty much this is it

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Rainfall in Edinburgh about the same as Capetown but I don't think they chuck salt on the roads there. Just been to my dealer in turkey over a minor issue they sorted it but had a good look at lot of Romanian dusters about 8 in all and couldn't find anything to grumble about. I had an oversized air con in a Honda a few years ago and under certain conditions it would produce fog! Inside the car, wunderfull or what?
fyi

the fog in the car is produce by air con usage when u use it on reciclyng air and not from outside air mode....thats 1

2 cabin pollen filter its blocked or very dirty

3 the heat radiator its cracked

·
Registered
517 Posts
fyi

the fog in the car is produce by air con usage when u use it on reciclyng air and not from outside air mode....thats 1

2 cabin pollen filter its blocked or very dirty

3 the heat radiator its cracked
No it was when the outside air was hot and humid and the fan was on Max.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts