281 - 300 of 338 Posts

·
Premium Member
303 Posts

Attachments

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Bob can you tell if that seal makes good contact? there's another on on that site called a boot seal that seems to come higher.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Bob can you tell if that seal makes good contact? there's another on on that site called a boot seal that seems to come higher.
Hi,

sorry, I've been out at Silverstone all afternoon, so not able to reply sooner.

I was happy that it was sealing, but just to be sure I've been out and rechecked. I can confirm that by peering through the bonnet gap as I slowly closed it, the line of light above the seal completely disappears before the Bonnet is completely closed, so I am now doubly happy and convinced that the seal is compressing. I would suggest that in any case, it would, if necessary, be possible to ease the lip of metal to improve the seal if desired.

Maybe you could try the 'boot seal' anyway, then we would have more options.

Reactions: Troute

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have installed a similar seal on mine (dust, not water the problem here!) they come in various sizes from any good motor factors.

To make sure that I had a good contact I got the guy to cut off a small piece of the two that I thought would fit and tried them out at various points using a blob of vaseline on the top to verify contact.

Two metres @ 8.00 Turkish Lira = 16.00 Turkish Lira (2.94 to the pound) worked out at £5.44 - and the guy fitted it for me! :p

Reactions: Troute

·
Registered
156 Posts
Might be worth applying some Waxoyl or such like to the inside of the seal to prevent it holding water. The rough edges of the inner wing will rust if water is trapped inside 'U' section of the seal. With the seal positioned under the bonnet as shown above any water coming through the front of the bonnet may get into the lip and be retained.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I'd like an extra 45mm :)

Reactions: DatzaDusta

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
They look good but I would not buy from that source, the seller is 'unverified' and last logged in four months ago.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If anyone is thinking of adding a camera to their Duster in case of accidents then they might like to take a look at www dot 7dayshop dot com.

They are currently offering an HD 720 Car Black Box Camera / Recorder for £29.99 instead of £39.99.

I have used them before for photography items and they have been very efficient.

7dayshop HD 720p Car Black Box Camera / Recorder

·
Registered
354 Posts
281 - 300 of 338 Posts