UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2-year-old Duster's (1.3) Air conditioning is unable to produce cold air when the temp is around 22 degrees. I would have expected at least three years before the system needed a "top-up" and had made sure that throughout the winter the air con was regularly used to prevent drying out of components. Has anyone any idea why this should be so given that I would have thought a leak was unlikely.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, no.......is one supposed to do that? I've certainly never done that on any of my cars but I'll give it a go. I suppose I imagined that have the temp control fully at the "cold" setting would do that.
Thanks.... I'll check.

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
1,754 Posts
I agree it should not be necessary to do that. I thing only someone with the right equipment can tell if it needs a regas or you have a leak.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Both my steppy and dusters only offer limited cooling to the interior with the vent open in hot weather ( hotter climes may have bigger coolers 🤷‍♂️). It is only a little cooler. It is not very efficient at trying to cool the whole earth👍

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
You should still get 4 degree Celsius at the vents if it is fully gassed and working properly. Maybe you should consider a re-gas.

·
Premium Member
2020 Sandero Stepway, 1977 MGB Roadster
154 Posts
Maybe you get what you pay for? My Passat, which was twice the price of my Stepway, would blast out cold air almost as soon as the aircon was switched on. The Stepway takes a lot longer, and I don't 'think' it's as cold (from memory, of course), with incoming fresh air, as opposed to recycling the car's interior air. It seems to get there eventually!
Perhaps the Stepway has a smaller unit. Perhaps the VW did have its aircon unit's size adjusted to the part of the world where I live.
Might be worth putting one of those reflective sheets on the dash when parked in the sun. I've got one in the boot, keep forgetting to use it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Size does not matter! No air con can produce cold air as soon as it is switched on!
Why do you think VW can rewrite the laws of physics.

As long as it is correctly designed an aircon can easily provide 4 degrees at the vents in 22 degrees ambient temperature.

It just requires a correctly designed expansion valve ( although some cars do not have it as an explicit part it is just designed into the plumbing and evaporator).

Fridge/Freezers with completely separated compartments share the same compressor and gas it is just they have 2 expansion valves. One designed to give fridge temperatures and the other freezer temperatures.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I disagree. The size of the unit does limit or boost performance.
Many vehicles have gone through my hands and many vehicles have more powerful air con than the four Dacia's I have owned and all the Dacia operated comfortably with the vent closed.
If there is an issue with the system you get zero cooling. Note; the OP has noticed a limitation at an ambient temp of 22°c. I too noticed a limited performance last weekend until I noticed the vent open. Once closed we all cooled quickly. Just like my other Dacia's.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Oh come on! Are you saying Renault are not capable of designing an adequate air con? You need re-gassing or you have some other fault. Have you not noticed how little time the compressor runs! It has bags of spare capacity.

When did you last re-gas your cars? All air cons leak. You need to do it every 2 years unless you are extremely lucky.

P.S I at one time had a Passat TDI SW ( Estate ) and that certainly did not blow cold air as soon as the air con was switched on.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Just remembered! You seem reluctant to say exactly which engines you have for some reason!

Diesel cars have a Glow Plug Relay/Slow Speed Fan Resistor mounted on the radiator. The aircon will only work on diesel cars if the fan is running at at least slow speed.
This resistor is not present on petrol cars ( at least not Sandero II ) I would check the resistor. It is protected by a thermal fuse.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just remembered! You seem reluctant to say exactly which engines you have for some reason!

Diesel cars have a Glow Plug Relay/Slow Speed Fan Resistor mounted on the radiator. The aircon will only work on diesel cars if the fan is running at at least slow speed.
This resistor is not present on petrol cars ( at least not Sandero II ) I would check the resistor. It is protected by a thermal fuse.
Sandero 1, Duster 1.5 2013. Steppy 2, Duster 1.2tce 2017.

There is no doubt your knowledge is concise and a much needed resource.

You may be taking conjecture as critism.
It is not, it is just questioning with a view to learning more. So friend, no need to get disturbed.

There are many sizes of refrigeration units available to vehicles.
Maybe the OP does need a recharge as maybe my vehicle does too??
But, in the mean time and high temps, shut the vent.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Daedalus - While I am more than happy for you to disagree with me, and am happy to bow to your superior knowledge,
my reply was deliberately laced with 'maybe', and I said 'almost' when referring to my VW, so please don't misquote me.

This morning, at around 10.30, outside temperature was about 28C. Got the car out of the garage, left the engine running for about five minutes, aircon on the middle of the three settings, fresh air vent open. When I got in the car the interior was pleasantly cool. Did some shopping etc., got in the car after it had been parked outside a café for about an hour, temp now 30C, and within a couple of minutes it was cooling the interior comfortably, with the setting still on middle, fresh air incoming.

All of which seems to suggest the OP's car needs regassing.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I did not quote you so I could not misquote you. I did not use quotation marks. I contradicted you.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Ok, if we're being pedantic, perhaps I should have said not to twist my words. You're saying that I said my VW's aircon came on as soon as I switched it on. I did not, I said 'would blast out cold air almost as soon as the aircon was switched on. Subtle difference, perhaps my almost is longer than yours.
Anyway, let's not lose our cool on this.;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts