UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quoting my Mum in the title! I've never had air conditioning, so not currently missing it. Surely open windows are good enough, and aircon is something else to go wrong? What's the big deal about aircon?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Quoting my Mum in the title! I've never had air conditioning, so not currently missing it. Surely open windows are good enough, and aircon is something else to go wrong? What's the big deal about aircon?
Nothing much....until you've had it and need to go back! :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Why have central heating when you can put on a jumper?

Aircon makes driving on hot days more comfortable.

Last summer, when it was 37C in my caravan, it was a joy just to go for a drive in a cool car.

Also good for demisting windows on freezing cold days.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I read it was a higher speed than that somewhere?
Great for de misting as Chris mentioned earlier in the thread :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
imagine sitting in front of an open fan oven, that's what its like with the windows open and no air con. we have over 40 deg ambient here and air con is essential, steering wheel, brakes, engine, gearbox, body shell, wheels, air-con - you need them all. things you don't need but are nice to have - mpg computer, reversing sensor, interior light, turn indicators, synchromesh, brake servo, power steering, abs, vanity mirror, rear seats.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Best fuel economy is when you leave the aircon off and never open the windows.

I used to think aircon was an unnecessary luxury, until I had it on my Getz.

When my car has been sitting on the sun and I drive off, I open all the windows for a few minutes to let out the hot air, then close them and put the aircon on for a bit.

It doesn't work very well if you are sitting in a traffic jam.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
For a couple of years I drove armoured vans and oddly enough opening windows were NOT common in them! I grew to love aircon in those years. Even now it's a godsend, when you're driving South in summer and the sun is beating down on your windscreen it can be like a greenhouse.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
In the past years I've found just putting the fan on about speed 3 is enough to blow enough air around without opening windows.
I still remember the day all my paperwork got sucked out of the window in one gust.
I've got aircon on my car, but i wouldn't be put a car for not having it.
I'm sat in a cab right now and all the windows are shut, the fan on speed 2 puffs enough air around for 18 degrees outside temp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In the past years I've found just putting the fan on about speed 3 is enough to blow enough air around without opening windows.
I still remember the day all my paperwork got sucked out of the window in one gust.
I've got aircon on my car, but i wouldn't be put a car for not having it.
I'm sat in a cab right now and all the windows are shut, the fan on speed 2 puffs enough air around for 18 degrees outside temp.
Oh yes thanks for that, forgot that heater fans also have cold settings - not much used normally, so tend to get forgotten.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had Air Con in my Old Fiat Stilo and I never used it the only time I used air con is when I'm driving my Works Car as its there fuel not mine lol. But my new Sandero has no Air con to which I'm not bothered about that's what windows are for not that it gets hot in UK to warrant air con.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Oh yes thanks for that, forgot that heater fans also have cold settings - not much used normally, so tend to get forgotten.
I have been known to drive my logan with just the fan on.
I'm a wuss for earache too, sitting with the window open so the wind is blowing down it doesn't do it any good either.
The aircon only makes it marginally colder in my mind, although I've been stuck with no aircon since been driving for work, we never get aircon in anything!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Personally I run aircon pretty much all summer, yes it may have a small impact on fuel economy but I enjoy driving and like being on the cool side (temperature wise as I'm not cool).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi,

I tried to convince my wife that we should buy a basic Access model Duster, but it doesn't have aircon!

Although the aircon gas all seeped away in her previous car due to lack of use, aircon was the deal breaker!

...She also didn't want U.N. spec white paintwork either though! :rolleyes:

I drive nearly 30k miles a year and must say that aircon is a must all year for me!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Air con gas should stay in the air con - forever or until somebody deliberately lets it out. Manufacturers go to great lengths to comply with refrigerant regulations - trust me leaky systems are not the norm. IF aircon needs gassing then there's a leak, regular gassing is not a routine maintenance - its a fault. The motor trade on the other hand would like you to keep coming back as repeat customer to spend £60 - £100 or more re-gassing a leaky system that shouldn't leak. My fridge is now 11 years old, spent 5 years unused when we worked abroad, has never been re gassed working fine, all my domestic aircon units 5 split systems in all are now 10 years old, also spent 5 years dormant - never been re gassed - all working fine ice cold air with 35deg outside at the moment. My last car a Volvo S40 spent 5 years in a field, started first time and - the air con worked. don't be fobbed off by the "aircons need re gassing" scam. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just had my air con regassed ready for my trip to Spain as it was blowing warm..

Unfortunately had to cancel my trip as have been in Hospital and am waiting to go back in then I can replan it

·
Registered
517 Posts
So when they re-gassed it did they fix the leak?

If not it will need doing again, and again, and again

I just had my air con regassed ready for my trip to Spain as it was blowing warm..

Unfortunately had to cancel my trip as have been in Hospital and am waiting to go back in then I can replan it

1 - 20 of 41 Posts