UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked under the bonnet yesterday and noticed that the alternator windings no longer looked shiny bright copper! Half of the visible part of the windings looked as if the insulation has started to go black and possibly charred??? Should I be worried and take her back to the dealer?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The battery light on the dash is your only tell tale sign of a charging fault unless you can check the voltage with a meter most garages will be able to do this for you.

You say the casing looks burnt does it sell like it as well if yes the alternator is on it's way out and you should take it back in under warranty, also get them to check your battery for over charging, the alternator is also fitted with a clutch pully that bacically disconnects the alternator from the drive belt and stops it charging this could be the fault that is causing alternator burnout.

I have come across this on new cars when i was selling vw/ audi but it is very rare.

Keep smiling and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took the Duster back to the dealer who photographed the burnt looking windings ( the discolouration has now moved a further 5mm)
They rang me the next day to say that the demo duster which has done over 2000 miles had totally black windings and on looking at other renault engines they see the same burnt looking windings! I told them I think this is sub standard insulation and will keep an eye on this.
My 9 year old tranny still has shiny copper windings.
The dealer sort of tried to allude to the cheap cost of the Duster and what do you expect!!!

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
The Duster is only cheap in relation to more expensive crossovers, £14000 is a lot of cash to me! I thought the parts used were all tried and tested Renault/Nissan sourced parts, what make is the alternator Ian?

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
The Valeo alternator fitted to the Duster is a good quality, reliable part.

After 5,000 miles the copper windings on my alternator are no longer shiny and I wouldn't expect them to be. The insulation on the windings is darkened, probably due to a build up of dirt and dust deposits.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes 14k is a shed load for me too, its part of my pension pot!
The darkening is not dirt! It started inside the casing and is slowly working its way along the more miles I drive, cant rub it off! I have to hope its not a precursor to something disastrous. What happens when an alternator fails?

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Well if it fails in the next three years you just get it replaced under warranty I suppose, if you're worried about it maybe take it to an independent garage and ask them to have a look?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes 14k is a shed load for me too, its part of my pension pot!
The darkening is not dirt! It started inside the casing and is slowly working its way along the more miles I drive, cant rub it off! I have to hope its not a precursor to something disastrous. What happens when an alternator fails?

It stops charging your battery and your car probably wont start next time you want it to.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Had a look at mine today and if it is any consolation, mine also looks a bit blackened. (four and a half months old - Romanian build)

It looks like it is only the insulation that is discoloured.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts