UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sandero Laureate that is one year old. It runs like a dream but does very odd things when starting. The engine always turns over fine but when it begins to start often it splutters badly and almost dies before catching and getting going. Sometimes it does just die and I have to try again. Its not temperature related as I've had it start perfectly at -7 and stall immediately at over 20degree C on a summers day. Tonight it took about 3 attempts and the last 5 seconds of firing before it limped into life. Once it starts running its perfect. I had it serviced and got the garage to look at it - they couldn't find anything really but re-initialized the throttle and this has made no difference. I notice it seems to happen most often at work - our car park is on a slope so the front of the car is raised a bit.

Am wondering whether air is getting into the fuel lines perhaps? I had a diesel fiesta previously and it suddenly developed starting problems. Garage couldn't find the problem, the car always ran fine once going. In the end I realized it was the primer bulb that was sucking in air so I replaced it myself and all was fine afterwards.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
hello Rockster....im having exactly the same problem, its been ongoing now for over 5 months....seems to be getting slowly worse...other forum members have said an ecu update does help...I have not tried it yet, do you have any answers yet ????

·
Registered
517 Posts
I assume its a diesel - you don't actually say.

IF the engine mechanicals and the electrics all check out - again lets assume that because it has been seen by a dealer then it "should" be ok then: I suspect its a fuel related issue, not uncommon but easy to fix.

The first thing I would do is purge the fuel system of water and sludge, sounds difficult to do but I have been using a product called "fuel set" in diesel powered vehicles routinely for the past couple of decades, every litre I put in my car or boat is treated, and it does exactly what it says on the box. I also use it in oil fired boilers and they burn clean, no soot or ash. Its a lot cheaper than taking everything apart and cleaning it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I agree Giffer but the car has just been checked (we think) - and dodgy fuel isn't covered by any warranty; all he will get is a big bill for "cleaning the fuel system" - fuel set will do that and a lot more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
my car is a 1.2 petrol....so no diesel problems.......im going to contact Dacia about this and send them a email every month detailing everytime it happens....they should fix it or replace .....the dealership were the most useless money grabbing people I have ever had the misfortune to deal with, the car is only 13 months old atm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is 1.2 petrol, last two days has refused to start on a couple of occasions but after multiple attempts its finally got going. The starter is odd in that when it does finally go with the key turned it seems to carry on trying to turn the engine once its already going unless you manage to let go of the key at exactly the right instant. All other cars I've owned seem to cut the starter motor once the engine kicks in.

It's a very odd problem, it seems to almost occur randomly. Garage are no use as of course it works everytime when I take it in...

Any news from the others on here with this problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine is 1.2 petrol, last two days has refused to start on a couple of occasions but after multiple attempts its finally got going. The starter is odd in that when it does finally go with the key turned it seems to carry on trying to turn the engine once its already going unless you manage to let go of the key at exactly the right instant. All other cars I've owned seem to cut the starter motor once the engine kicks in.

It's a very odd problem, it seems to almost occur randomly. Garage are no use as of course it works everytime when I take it in...

Any news from the others on here with this problem?
Dodgy bendix.

Ratty

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ratty, I agree it sounds like something is sticking, not sure we have bendix gears now though. its usually a pretty primitive dog clutch bashed into place by a big solenoid that starts the starter motor turning as the whole chibang engages. Changing the subject a bit but its one the things I don't like about the stop start technology, I know they say they harden everything up but its a big ask of a starter and ring gear - even if its pre-engaged - and I don't think they use that technology anymore either. But I could be wrong and lets face it the last ring gears I put on an engine were made of porridge and the starter bendix was made of plywood. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
booked the car into the Renault/dacia dealer for a ecu update.....and yep no more starting problems, the garage were very friendly, efficient, I wont contact them via email again, as I seem to have better communication over the phone

1 - 10 of 10 Posts