UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Before I seek further clarification from Dacia, I offer the following thoughts for any knowledgeable comment:

There seems to be a general perception (not just amongst Dacia folk) that anti-corrosion warranties that mention perforation means that the metal has to be substantially rotting before the warranty effectively comes into force. But it seems, to me, this cannot be the case.

The Dacia warranty says (to paraphrase - underlines are mine): "Dacia guarantees .... against perforation originating from the interior ... where the corrosion is due to manufacturing or material fault or a problem concerning application of anti-corrosion products ... The Anti-Corrosion Warranty covers repair or replacement of corroded parts of the Vehicle's bodywork and sub-frame subject to them being a result of a manufacturer defect, material fault or the application of anticorrosion products recommended by the manufacturer."

One of the key T&Cs is, of course, that vehicle bodywork inspections have been "carried out at the mileages stated on the Warranty and Service sheet and at least every two years." It also says that the "customer shall arrange for repairs to be carried out as soon as possible."

Now, what this says to me is that Dacia guarantees our vehicles will not perforate within 6 years providing we have ensured the routine inspection procedure has been followed and we have arranged for corrosion repair asap. While it does not say all and any bodywork corrosion (arising from manufacturing defect) must or will be treated, I am presently of a mind that general bodywork rust appearing on the surface of bodywork panels/members is actually covered for 6 yrs rather than (as often believed) the paintwork 2 yr cover.

Any thoughts before I seek clarification?

·
Registered
836 Posts
against perforation originating from the interior ... where the corrosion is due to manufacturing or material fault or a problem concerning application of anti-corrosion products ...
From memory, there was a big chunk on this last year , from memory it was the " perforation originating from the interior "

was the major stumbling block . The child locks and now the rear door ( see todays rusty thread ) look like they would be covered by that but the rust on the edges and the weld edges would not be covered because it was lack of paint on those which was the issue and not perforated from the interior because there was no interior if that makes sense , hence the paint warranty being used . Semantic i know , but name me a warranty which is not , Now If Dacia are willing to say that all rust is now covered then ,as i have said before , it is a way forward , one i can accept .But Dacia's track record is not good dealing with customers .

If they also add in as a matter of course a courtesy car will be provided , that will also be a way forward . Renault warranty has that in it , Dacia do not . When TonyL had his car in for repair he did not have a car for 13 weeks .

·
Registered
517 Posts
Please publish your findings.

My experience (limited) is that the weasels have got at the wording and it ends up a meaningless warranty. I can remember MK3 cortinas with rust holes in the wings from new and no warranty, but things have improved since then, mostly the manufacturing process not the warranty. Plus I am sure many will remember the Vauxhall Velox that self destructed before you got it home.

My understanding is that the big get out clause is as mentioned above the need for a panel to perforate from inside out, therefore, any corrosion you can see on a new vehicle is instantly excluded!

But remember that just because a manufacturer won't warrant the quality of an item does not mean that seller isnt liable for its merchantable quality - ponder on that.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Tony not having a courtesy car was down to the dealership not dacia uk I believe. I think a statement/press release will be made officially by dacia uk in the next few weeks, which will offer some closure on the subject. I think talking about the issue is the best option for dacia to maintain credibility in the market place. Let's see what happens

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App
Maybe it was down to the dealer , but the point is , if like Renault, it was in the warranty, the dealer would not be able to get out off supplying a courtesy car , it is called customer care .

You seem to well informed about what Dacia are going to do , what do you mean by which will offer some closure , that is an indication you know what is being planned, are you going to let everybody else in on the secrete ? and 'I think talking about the issue is the best option for Dacia ' no action is the best option , actions speak louder than words. .

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
" ... but the rust on the edges and the weld edges would not be covered because it was lack of paint on those which was the issue and not perforated from the interior because there was no interior if that makes sense , hence the paint warranty being used ... " .
Thanks for thoughts dshart. This is the matter (extract from your post above) I would like to have clarification on idc.

I (optimistically/naively) would argue that the interior of my vehicle bodywork is any raw metal surface which one might reasonably expect to have been treated against corrosion by complete/un-broken layers of protective coatings applied by what ever method, i.e. an electrochemical bath, injection of anti-corrosion waxy-oils to cavities and/or top-surface application of paint etc etc. In other words, if corrosion appears through these supposedly un-broken layers of protection (and is not caused by mechanical damage after receipt of the vehicle - scratches/stone-chips etc) then it comes from the "interior". If the vehicle left the factory with inadequate protection to the raw-metal surface, then that should be covered under anti-corrosion warranty (as a manufacturing defect) rather than under paint-work warranty I reckon. (We shall see idc and any/all additional comments/views v welcome :) )

·
Registered
836 Posts
regarding the issue.

But according to Dacia " only one or two are effective " and according to some people , the majority of Dusters are not affected . So why would Dacia being issuing a Statement / Press release for just a few cars ? Seems to be a big thing for just a few white Dusters !!!!!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
But according to Dacia " only one or two are effective " and according to some people , the majority of Dusters are not affected . So why would Dacia being issuing a Statement / Press release for just a few cars ? Seems to be a big thing for just a few white Dusters !!!!!!
They could issue something along the lines of 'There have been isolated incidents of poor quality control, which Dacia are working with owners to resolve. Processes in the factory have been reviewed and we are confident the problem has been solved'. Something innocuous, which would take the sting out of the stink you guys have made, and are threatening to make? It's possible. If they take that stance it could be good news for you guys in terms of giving you some leverage.

·
Registered
836 Posts
They could issue something along the lines of 'There have been isolated incidents of poor quality control, which Dacia are working with owners to resolve. Processes in the factory have been reviewed and we are confident the problem has been solved'. Something innocuous, which would take the sting out of the stink you guys have made, and are threatening to make? It's possible. If they take that stance it could be good news for you guys in terms of giving you some leverage.
Were you Alastair Campbell in a previous life . Probably , that is exactly what they are going to say . Next they will be looking for a good day to release bad news .

By the way don't you ever sleep .

·
Registered
11 Posts
My concern is that although new off the prediction one dusters may not have problems, unsold stock, and stock that is in transit to the dealer networks can still be part of the defective batch and therefore until Dacia do say something on the matter, I won't be buying one. The Duster was to be my first car hat I had bought from new and I want worry free motoring. If I was wanting to worry about rust and corrosion then I'd buy second hand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there, just rejoined as couldn't remember my log in details.
We have a 2014 Sandero Stepway and around the petrol filler neck it's very crusty and rusty.
The car is on 51 thousand miles.
Does the warranty cover the year of the car or the mileage?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wouldn’t hold my breath, but if you have had it regularly serviced by the main deal who sold it to you, and youve had it since new they might take the issue up with Dacia on your behalf. Otherwise you may be quicker to get a bit of sandpaper out, attack it with some primer and give the area a touch of paint.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I nearly always have used Jenolite rust treatment or rust converter, as wobblybox has said a bit of sandpaper to clean off the rust as best as possible, then attack it with Jenolite followed by a primer and then you can use a correct colour touch-up pen. The rust converter can be used as primer. If you do not want to use Jenolite or similar use a zinc enriched primer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We bought it second hand last year from a dealer.
It's ready for its next service.
Treating it isn't a problem (I do it for a living I run a Rustproofing company) I would rather they did it than me though if its still under warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Had a go at the dealership, if they have done all the servicing they should have done the anti corrosion checks as well, but may say it's the underneath only, my Indian built Duster was recalled for a free cavity wax job which surprised me, so anything is possible.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Give them a try. Nothing ventured and all that. But given your work background you could probably do a better job. All they'll do it give it a quick rub and spray some paint on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts