UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an interview to be a salesman for *cough* Lexus *cough* on Friday. Wondered if anyone had any tips?

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks Geraint. Absolutely, even got myself a pair of car cufflinks :) Done some research on the brand, when they started, customers, things like that. Hybrid on most of their models now, which is excellent. Thank you :) Fingers crossed

·
Registered
985 Posts
Be confident; not cocky. When I'm interviewing I want smart, respectful and measured individuals who are confident their capabilities but are not full of themselves . It's a fine line. Get it right and you'll be hired. They will send you on sales courses for the product; you are selling yourself. An undertaking to be contracted to a minimum amount of time with them won't be accepted, but the offer may show commitment.

You need to include a little sales technique. This is for any product (including yourself)

Tell them the features (What you can do)

Sell them the benefits (Why it is good for them)

Where I come from in the midlands, we have a saying...shy boys get nowt!

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you @widu13 - I like to think I'm quite smart, and actually prefer being dressed in shirt and trousers than jeans and a t-shirt. Respectful to everyone I meet, no matter how hard it sometimes is. Would you say to stay clear of humour? (Where do you see yourself in 10 years? A mirror). I'm quite a funny person naturally, and you could ask me many questions and the first thing that would come to mind would be a joke answer (obviously not for everything), but surely it would show I have a personality side too, or is this a bad thing? I want to go to Lexus as I believe it would be an excellent place to start my career. It is with Lancaster group, and from Lexus, I can progress onto their more HLS dealerships. If they ask me where I see myself in 10 years, should I say 'This dealership as a sales manager' (for example), or should I say something more like 'Lancaster Jaguar'? It's the same dealership group, but obviously different vehicles.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey, good luck. I've been in sales for years, new homes for a national builder. The advice is the same no matter what the product is, be keen, know some background about the company and the product. Think in advance about your own experience of giving excellent customer service and making a clients experience with you memorable, think about how you'll tell the interviewer your story, there might be some elements that you'll not want to talk about maybe something that didn't quite go right despite overall trying your best for someone. Leave out the bad bits. Have examples of how, in the past, you've saved the company money or implemented a new routine to improve efficiency or teamwork. They'll be looking for someone focused on targets, targets = directors bonuses. They'll want someone who puts the needs of the customer first, shares ideas with team mates and understands the priorities of the business. In a car dealership that's always going to be volume/numbers/units sold. Have some ideas about something you're earning your money for, you might say you're wanting to buy a house, a boat, an amazing holiday, a state of the art sound system. It's not important what you're aiming for but sales managers love to hear about your ambition and expensive ambition means hard working and focused sales people. Remember customers-business-customers-business-customers and on. If you show that you can protect those two things you'll win. Sales is always a balancing act between the needs of the customer and those of the business plus your own personal agenda which is often best kept to yourself. It'll be a great job. Again, good luck ????

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, I don't have any negatives, I'm perfect :p I wish... They are difficult to come up with though...

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's going to be a tad difficult. Although, I'm staying in a hotel literally 3 minutes walk away, could just leave her there... Hmm

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That'd be nice, though if I could afford one, wouldn't be too fussed about a job :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did car sales for 5 years. My advice is to be confident as others have mentioned but dont be cocky with it. Show willingness to perform and the wanting to earn money. The more you sell the more you earn. I used to find personality matching works. If they are bubbly be bubble. If they are relaxed appear relaxed etc.. good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for all your advice... The interview seemed to go really well, and I was told I'd find out by Thursday, but the head honcho then resigned, leaving lots of problems that needed to be sorted, so I might find out next week instead. I was told I impressed the interviewers, and if there's no position at Lexus, they'll see if they can get me at Toyota instead, so fingers crossed.

I had a phone interview last night, and have a proper interview on Monday with Smart (Mercedes) (Everyone's gotta start somewhere), which is closer to where I want to be living, so fingers crossed for that one too :)

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
Thank you for all your advice... The interview seemed to go really well, and I was told I'd find out by Thursday, but the head honcho then resigned, leaving lots of problems that needed to be sorted, so I might find out next week instead. I was told I impressed the interviewers, and if there's no position at Lexus, they'll see if they can get me at Toyota instead, so fingers crossed.

I had a phone interview last night, and have a proper interview on Monday with Smart (Mercedes) (Everyone's gotta start somewhere), which is closer to where I want to be living, so fingers crossed for that one too :)
Best of luck for Monday ! ;)

·
Registered
985 Posts
It's all good news so far. Of it's a multi marque dealership it doesn't matter joy where you start. Go get 'em tiger

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
hey tobes

glad the interview with lexus went well and you got good feedback....and good luck with that one...i've got everything crossed for you.

AND it will have been good practice for the phone interview....had a couple of these in my time....and have always put smart clothes on for them...cos it gets you in the right frame of mind and with the "professional head" on....not the PJ's and cocoa head on....if you get my drift....

anyhoo...good luck....and i'll keep everything crossed til u tell me otherwise !

DM x

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, for anyone interested, I got a job at Smart in Ipswich. Better pay than Lexus, closer to where I want to be, and seems like a nicer bunch of people. I start on Valentine's day, and move down to the area just one day before.

Thank you for all your help

1 - 20 of 41 Posts