UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove a petrol and diesel duster back to back on Thursday. Much preferred the power delivery of the diesel, the petrol was underpowered in my opinion (will write a review up later on comparing the two). Anyway, has anyone chipped their diesel Duster yet? I can imagine it'll be quite an improvement in power delivery.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yip your correct, the Petrol engine will never match the Diesel for power delivery and torque!! and of course MPG :( .The Petrol Duster which uses one of the Best Engine Renault have ever made will still be going strong long after the Diesel`s have done your head in with DPF Filters and EGR Valves start to give trouble further down the road it`s only a matter of time!!.

The modern DCI Engines are fine, but with all the latest emission gizmos that are fitted nowadays it a nightmare when they start to give you trouble, as time goes' on and the miles rack up you will back to the Dealers for repairs.

That`s why I went for the Petrol Duster 4x4, (Got The Tee Shirt on EGR Valves etc. cost me a small fortune, no more diesels for me..)

I must say it has plenty of power pulls away strongly in all gears, 6th gear up hills no problem with out changing down, some times I think it`s the Diesel Engine fitted to it or the 2.0 litre by the way it pulls, now what I have noticed is it like`s the Top brands of Petrol so will be keeping using them just seams to drive a little sweeter.

Everyone that has been in the Duster comments on how well it drives and pulls and all way`s ask is this a Diesel!!.

Can`t wait to read your review on the Petrol and Diesel Duster should be interesting!!.. But I think your mind has already been Made UP.

Petrol Duster`s 4x4 for life.. :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
I can understand why the majority of sales are for the diesel on grounds of fuel economy if you do a high mileage but it depends on what you wish to use the duster for. I have the 4x2 access and as a general multi-use vehicle with a predicted annual mileage of 6000 - 8000 miles the petrol makes good sense. It is smooth, quiet and powerful enough for the average joe who wants a cavernous interior for the price of a super-mini. I really can't fault the way it drives, and the build quality is better than I expected. it feels very safe and solid on the road. If you previously had a higher performance vehicle then you may be a little disappointed with performance of the Rumainion Range Rover but it is what it says on the box! I doubt you would find better new for £8995.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
NIck, not wanting to look a plank on the forum, but back to your original question, what does "chipping" mean?

And what would / could it potentially do to my George?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Chipping is usually a box you can buy that connects to ecu to help produce more power
Or you can have it mapped which is when a tuning company will plug their laptop into your car and change fueling and turbo boost pressure

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
25 Posts
does it not affect the warrenty????
That's the good thing about the chip is that I can be removed in no time
So just whip it out before service or if its going in for warranty work
The map in the other hand is not as easy and manufacturers like Vw can see as soon as they plug it in that the factory setting have been changed

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've tested 3 different tuningboxes over the years.

All for the dci 1.5 110PK.

The cheap ones are basically overprices plastic boxes with a variable resistor in them. They "remap nothing". Basically, they fool your ECU into believing a lower presure than reported is read out of the rail sensor. Simple terms : you "ask" power X buy pressing the pedal, the ECU mapping pushes the engine with a presure/fuel ratio to performance Y based upon a engine mapping which takes in account stuff like air intake and temperature, rail pressure ect ect ...

These boxes on the dci's are mostly connectly SOLEY to that rail presure sensor. Your car's ECU reads the result, the box "lies" to the ECU and reports a lower value, the ECU counteracts by upping the presure value. More presure, more fuel, more power.

So does it work ? Sure it does.

Is it safe ? Well, I don't know. It's true all engines have a certain "level of tollerance" and no 2 engines are exactly the same, there are small, but measurable differences in poweroutput between your engine and mine. Unavoidable. All these manufacturers will say "their boxes have a fail safe". Well, no, what really happens is by the time your ECU gets values back which are so off the rocker the ECU flips, the ECU itself will push the engine in safe mode. So far for "build-in security". They also will tell you "you'll save fuel". Well, no. What happens is : as your ECU is fooled by the box, it will push more fuel than it should. So your car will burn more fuel than it "knows" it does. Your consumption computer will show a lower value, but most of the times, it's just fooled by the box. You will be too.

Till you stop at the gas station and start to calculate how much fuel you REALLY burned to reach the distance you traveled.

Am I saying they are all crap ? No. IF used carefully, they CAN help giving you a smoother ride, and they CAN help lowering consumption. But not by default, and not "no matter what drive style you use". Do they give you more power ? YES. I've seen my traction control system come up when going "pedal to the metal" with such boxes, and I've felt the wheels spinning when TCS was shut off.

But I have NO idea how hard the box "lies" to my ECU and have NO idea how bad this is for the engine. I'm sure that, when being used with a level of caution, itself won't break your engine. Especially not with the more advanced boxes who essentially "go offline" once a certain rpm is reached and will "act if they're not there anymore". But whatever makes them tick, they always LIE to your engine management, and it takes no genius to reason that sometime, somewhere, a price must be paid for this.

Are remaps Always better ? No. A lot of remappers I know BUY engine mappings which they even haven't made themselves, tweak them a bit (if you're lucky) and will glady cash in your money. Value of such remappers is questionable at best. I'd even go so far that a GOOD tuning box is easely on-par, sometimes better than those "remappers" as at least YOU still have some control over what you want.

A remapper who tells you he can do the job in an afternoon ? Turn around and run away. No way you can do that in such a small amount of time and tell your customer you've done serious work on the engine.

Boxes which I had good experience with : Racechip Ultimate with D600 software for example. Railsensor variant. Has more control over the way it functions that most boxes : giving you the possibility to influence both level as range of operation. Not really cheap. There's also a Dutch company which produces a OBD-based box, so it hooks up to the OBD port in your glove compartment (Yamashi) : works pretty well, and can be mounted/disconnected without ever opening your hood. No settings possible, the thing is supposed the "learn" its way through being used. Nearly nothing about the real function is known, but I have seen and used the box : it's not a simple resistor box, there's a cpu board in there and it actively "talks" to your ECU over the OBD while in use, so I suspect it's a bit like the "piggy back" solutions used by some tuners. An interesting, strange, little creepy box really.

In terms of petrol vs diesel, the Duster is a bit of a no-brainer. The Diesel is a state-of-the-art K9K Renault block, and the Duster gets every newest version of it when Renault pushes it through their assembly line the same time as your Meganne or Clio would. There's no "old Diesel series" production line for Renault based products.

I agree with the sentiment that the petrol engine is simpler and there's less that can go wrong. No arguement possible.

But also true : The petrol version is rather old 1.6 105PK which lacks power, torque, is rather noisy and vibrates round 120 KM/h. I agree, it is underpowered for use in the Duster. It's also quite thirsty, and is not being used in the current Renault line anymore as far as I know. Staying under 8l/100km is quite difficult with this engine. Over here, it can not be bought with a 4x4 gearbox anymore, so it is condemned to use the 5 gearbox which causes the petrol engine to rev very high on the freeway. (I think the petrol does around 3500 rpm to do 120km/h .... and you really hear that).

The diesel 1.5 dci 110pk can be had with a 6gear box, runs a lot smoother and quieter. Word of caution : the 6 gearbox on the 4x4 is a different animal than the 6 gearbox on the 4x2 !! On the 4x4, the 1e gear is superlow and helps to cope the Dusters' lack of a hi/lo transmission setting. As a result : the 6th gear is more or less what the 5th gear is on the 4x2. Want a quiet-as-possible Duster ? Pick the 6 gear 4x2. My own 4x4 6gear does 2800 rpm at 120km/h. My wifes' Lodgy with a 6 gear and the same engine revs at a mere 2000 rpm at that speed. I suspect the Duster in 4x2 lies somewhere round 2400rpm, but that's not based on knowledge : it's a calculated assumption.

Anyway, the Lodgy here is sold both with the 1.6 petrol and the all new singing and dancing 1.2 TCE. The difference is -phenomenal-, the 1.2 TCE is superior in every aspect and never feels underpowered. I understand it looks crap to have an 1.2 TCE block in an SUV, but based on my experience with the 1.2 TCE compared to the 1.6 block .... no. Choose the 1.6 only when you're "driving round the churchtower" as we say here : not downplaying it : if you'll only do short distances every day with your Duster then it will serve you well.

But the Diesel block is superior in every possible way.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The diesel 1.5 dci 110pk can be had with a 6gear box, runs a lot smoother and quieter. Word of caution : the 6 gearbox on the 4x4 is a different animal than the 6 gearbox on the 4x2 !! On the 4x4, the 1e gear is superlow and helps to cope the Dusters' lack of a hi/lo transmission setting. As a result : the 6th gear is more or less what the 5th gear is on the 4x2. Want a quiet-as-possible Duster ? Pick the 6 gear 4x2. My own 4x4 6gear does 2800 rpm at 120km/h. My wifes' Lodgy with a 6 gear and the same engine revs at a mere 2000 rpm at that speed. I suspect the Duster in 4x2 lies somewhere round 2400rpm, but that's not based on knowledge : it's a calculated assumption.

Not a bad guesstimate.....my 4x2 DCi Duster does 70mph @ 2500Rpm , still not quite run in so may change a little.....

·
Registered
193 Posts
I believe the 1.5DCI engines respond well to being 'chipped' or re-mapped.

In theory you are kind of freeing up power that the engine can make rather than forcing it to out perform itself.

For example a Megane 225 engine can be re-mapped to make 265bhp with a software re-map from 225bhp, I'd imagine a 20bhp/20+ lbs increase on a 109bhp DCI engine wouldn't be unrealistic and shouldn't realistically affect the longevity of the engine.

K-Tec have the Duster and Sandero listed as 'Coming Soon' which I would imagine will mean their first tuning options will be re-maps.

http://www.k-tecracing.com/

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I went and had a chat today with my friendly Dacia dealer and he confirmed that "the warranty will not be affected at all if the car is re-mapped".

He added "as long as it is re-mapped by a reputable company brand and not mapped beyond their recommendations". :)

Slightly off topic... As I was getting good news I thought I'd query him again about the radio fittings

"making a tiny cut to the thin bar of trim between the two single DIN radio slots will void the warranty" :angry:

also "feel free to take a drill to the bumpers and install parking sensors, your warranty is safe with that" :p

all above quotes are from my dealer, please get confirmation for yourselves as I will not be liable for your warranty :unsure:

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ask him to put that in writing. Must be the first dealer I've heard of saying that!

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Hi guys, I went and had a chat today with my friendly Dacia dealer and he confirmed that "the warranty will not be affected at all if the car is re-mapped".

He added "as long as it is re-mapped by a reputable company brand and not mapped beyond their recommendations". :)

all above quotes are from my dealer, please get confirmation for yourselves as I will not be liable for your warranty :unsure:
Nick and wazza probably hit it neatly on the head (posts above) and I'm surprised by response from your dealer! Play about if you feel you have to (it's tempting init), but don't think for a minute that your dealer and/or insurer won't be looking for loop-holes if something really serious does happen. I have done a bit of research (cos I too was thinking about re-mapping - when my Duster arrives), but I've decided against.

If you can't resist, I would definitely inform Insurance Co as a minimum. My assumption is that Ins' companies will increasingly test for electronic mod's in the event of a serious claim (if they've not been informed you are likely to be expensively/catastrophically on your own!)

·
Registered
230 Posts
i've been speaking to advanced tuning about getting my duster remapped. should take it to 130BHP and 280nm. as long as the checksum stays the same on the ECU dacia would never know that it has been remapped.

Reactions: Troute

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Let us know how you get on and don't forget the before/after thoughts as well

1 - 20 of 56 Posts