UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, so I know there are a lot of threads on here about spare wheels. It seems I got lucky with mine and got a full size 16", seems to be the same as all the others on the car excepting the tyre which is a Michelin energy saver as opposed to the Goodyear ones that are on the car as standard. What confuses me though is the fact that it has the 80Km/h speed restriction sticker on it as though it is a space saver? Any ideas why? The tyre has a good speed rating and the wheel is full size so surely the restriction should not apply? I ask for a number of reasons but mainly because a restricted wheel would fail an MOT if fitted but a full size unrestricted one wouldn't. Can anyone shed some light on this?

the tyre is a Michelin energy saver 205/55/R16 with a 91H speed rating.

Cheers,

Siobhan.

*edit - sorry I just realised that this should have been posted in the Stepway forum but I don't know how to move it.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
OK, so I know there are a lot of threads on here about spare wheels. It seems I got lucky with mine and got a full size 16", seems to be the same as all the others on the car excepting the tyre which is a Michelin energy saver as opposed to the Goodyear ones that are on the car as standard. What confuses me though is the fact that it has the 80Km/h speed restriction sticker on it as though it is a space saver? Any ideas why? The tyre has a good speed rating and the wheel is full size so surely the restriction should not apply? I ask for a number of reasons but mainly because a restricted wheel would fail an MOT if fitted but a full size unrestricted one wouldn't. Can anyone shed some light on this?

the tyre is a Michelin energy saver 205/55/R16 with a 91H speed rating.

Cheers,
Siobhan.

*edit - sorry I just realised that this should have been posted in the Stepway forum but I don't know how to move it.
There is no speed restriction if the spare is exactly the same size wheel & tyre as the ones fitted to the vehicle, Dacia use both Michelin & Goodyear tyres I have had 2 Steppys this year the first one came fitted with Goodyear but the one I have now came fitted with Michelin.

For some unknown reason Dacia still put a speed restricted sticker on the full size 16 5 spoke spare wheel with the full size 205/55/16 tyre fitted on it.... But you can use it with no speed restriction, The only difference is it does not have a TPS valve ( tyre pressure sensor ) fitted to the spare, So when you have the spare fitted to the car your TPS light will be permanently light on your instrument panel, If this light is light at a MOT your car would fail the test.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very good answer. However my 63 plate laureate doesn't have the tps. I take it this is relatively new addition? There is info on it in the drivers manual but the car clearly doesn't have it installed. What with it being a laureate I would think it would be. Personally I'd rather not have tps. Only ever heard bad reviews.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Very good answer. However my 63 plate laureate doesn't have the tps. I take it this is relatively new addition? There is info on it in the drivers manual but the car clearly doesn't have it installed. What with it being a laureate I would think it would be. Personally I'd rather not have tps. Only ever heard bad reviews.
You do not have tps that's defo a bonus....

So that makes your full size spare a fully legal road wheel that will pass a mot if fitted to your car at a test as long as the speed restriction stickers are removed.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The reason is probably because a lot of European countries, like Spain, it is a requirement to have the same make/model of tyre on the same axle. Therefore, as the spare could be fitted anywhere on the car, the speed restriction sticker acts as a kind of get out of jail free card. I suppose that if the spare had. The same tyre as the wheel it replaced, the sticker could be disregarded.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
The reason is probably because a lot of European countries, like Spain, it is a requirement to have the same make/model of tyre on the same axle. Therefore, as the spare could be fitted anywhere on the car, the speed restriction sticker acts as a kind of get out of jail free card. I suppose that if the spare had. The same tyre as the wheel it replaced, the sticker could be disregarded.
As not to confuse UK tyre regulations to the tyre regulations in Spain...
It is perfectly legal in the UK to have different makes of tyres on the same axle as long as they are the same size, and meet or exceed the speed rating for the vehicle. Although they must be the same type of tyre for instance you can not mix Steel Radial & Cross ply tyres.

Even in Spain the requirement to have the same make/model of tyre on the same axle is a bit of a grey area, Some itv centres in Spain will pass a car with different make tyres fitted on the same axle as long as they are the spec and size for the vehicle as specified for the vehicle in the vehicle log book, but some itv's will fail it for having different makes.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Grey area? Try telling that to the Guardia Civil around here. They make a fortune in fines, against foreign drivers on holiday unaware of the restrictions. And it matters not a jot that it is perfectly legal in the UK.

Travelling around Europe can be a minefield for drivers. For example: here, as most people know, you must have 2 warning triangles and a high viz vest for each passenger in the car. But, did you also know that if you wear spectacles, you must carry a spare pair in the car. In France you used to need 2 breathalyser kits. Germany, spare bulb kits and first aid kits.

No wonder drivers on tour fit roof boxes, the boot is full up with compulsory items. lol

·
Registered
398 Posts
From the RAC:-

Whilst driving in Germany you are required by law to carry the following items. Hefty on-the-spot fines can be issued for failing to carry specific items:

• Reflective jackets (The requirement to have a reflective jacket in all vehicles is being discussed)
  • Warning triangle (Compulsory in every vehicle with 4 wheels or more)
  • Headlamp beam deflectors (Depending on your car, you will either need deflector stickers or have to adjust the beam manually)
  • First aid kit (Recommended)

For resident drivers you must carry a First Aid kit (MOT requirement which is checked for expiry date). There is no requirement in Germany for a spare bulb kit. The only compulsory item for all drivers is the warning triangle.

Breathalyser kits never made it into law in France, however warning vests must be carried in the passenger compartment. If you are stopped and they are in the boot you will be fined.

·
Premium Member
2,832 Posts
Last time I checked the law in France was that an unused breathalyser had to be carried (the idea that you need 2 is invented by marketing people). However there is NO penalty or fine for not having one. So if you don't have one you are breaking the law, but that's OK.

I've been to France/Belgium/Holland/Germany many times, never carry all these things, seldom even seen a police car.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Grey area? Try telling that to the Guardia Civil around here. They make a fortune in fines, against foreign drivers on holiday unaware of the restrictions. And it matters not a jot that it is perfectly legal in the UK.

Travelling around Europe can be a minefield for drivers. For example: here, as most people know, you must have 2 warning triangles and a high viz vest for each passenger in the car. But, did you also know that if you wear spectacles, you must carry a spare pair in the car. In France you used to need 2 breathalyser kits. Germany, spare bulb kits and first aid kits.

No wonder drivers on tour fit roof boxes, the boot is full up with compulsory items. lol
Yes it is a grey area indeed!, If a itv centre has tested your car and passed the different brand tyres you would certainly have cause for a debate with the Guardia and a ground to appeal.
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/spain-expat-forum-expats-living-spain/104740-car-tyre-regulations.html

There is many differences in motoring laws around the world, But not one of them is relevant To a UK driver unless you intent to take your car out of the UK to another country.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes it is a grey area indeed!, If a itv centre has tested your car and passed the different brand tyres you would certainly have cause for a debate with the Guardia and a ground to appeal.
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/spain-expat-forum-expats-living-spain/104740-car-tyre-regulations.html

There is many differences in motoring laws around the world, But not one of them is relevant To a UK driver unless you intent to take your car out of the UK to another country.
Spanish itvs are a joke. I should know I have been through loads. They have never checked any of my tyres. But they are supposed to. Turn up in the middle of the afternoon in august and they more or less wave you through. However, pulled over by the guardia at 2 in the morning with a quota to fulfil is a totally different story. They check everything. So many UK legal cars are caught out by this reg in the holiday season.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Spanish itvs are a joke. I should know I have been through loads. They have never checked any of my tyres. But they are supposed to. Turn up in the middle of the afternoon in august and they more or less wave you through. However, pulled over by the guardia at 2 in the morning with a quota to fulfil is a totally different story. They check everything. So many UK legal cars are caught out by this reg in the holiday season.
Thankfully I never intend taking my car to Spain, Whenever I go abroad an want to do a bit of touring round I just fly and hire a car.. living up in the highlands you loose a couple of days from your holiday getting to a ferry or the Euro tunnel... That's a couple of days I would much rather spend relaxing than driving to get there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
maybe if its like mine a different style renault rim even though the tyre size type etc is correct i suspect the wheel supplied is also supplied as space saver wheel in another reno model as space saver it would need said sticker killing 2 jobs with one item i have seen this tactic used within the ford range using fiat wheels in a focus new wheel supplied by main dealer since then i have seen focus rim in a mondeo in the same manner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts