UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the Duster to check the Tyre pressures today ready for a fully laden journey with roof box to Scotland. Checked the manual and to my surprise it only gave one pressure reading - no matter whether vehicle is laden or not. The amount it stated was 29psi/2 bar. On checking th!e pressure the gauge (a digital one at a Shell garage) read 34psi. Tyres warm and warm day. So duly let out air until achieved 29 psi. Drove away and it was like driving through treacle! Left them til they were cool and the evening was cool and measured again. Definitely 29 psi.
Has anyone checked their Tyre pressure? 29 psi seems ridiculously low, can't be safe. I topped it up to 32 and it was a much better ride. Googled Tyre pressure for the Duster and I still get a recommendation of 29. What does everyone else work to?

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
in romania

we pretty much changed this from the plain air to nitrogen

the nitrogen does not change its pressure (volume i mean, expansion/contraction) due to temp factor

its stays the same whether is hot or cold outside, better safety overall and keeps the rims and tires cooler especially in the summer

try it (here is 5euros for all 4 wheels) ;) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
346 Posts
The tyre pressure is for cold when the vehicle has not been driven.

I use a digital tyre pressure tester from Halfords but pump with a footpump at home in morning before car has been moved.

By the time you drove to the garage your tyre warmed up increasing pressure and the garage pump may also be incorrect.

I would say 34psi at garage was correct after tyre warming up a bit.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's why I put in 32. Do you think 29 is on the low side though?

·
Registered
346 Posts
The larger a tyre, the lower the pressure generally, our twingo was 29psi all round and 32 if doing motorway driving on continental eco sport 2 tyres

·
Registered
219 Posts
I took the Duster to check the Tyre pressures today ready for a fully laden journey with roof box to Scotland. Checked the manual and to my surprise it only gave one pressure reading - no matter whether vehicle is laden or not. The amount it stated was 29psi/2 bar. On checking th!e pressure the gauge (a digital one at a Shell garage) read 34psi. Tyres warm and warm day. So duly let out air until achieved 29 psi. Drove away and it was like driving through treacle! Left them til they were cool and the evening was cool and measured again. Definitely 29 psi.
Has anyone checked their Tyre pressure? 29 psi seems ridiculously low, can't be safe. I topped it up to 32 and it was a much better ride. Googled Tyre pressure for the Duster and I still get a recommendation of 29. What does everyone else work to?
Page 4.11 of the manual tells you to increase the pressure by 0.2 bar if you are towing or fully laden, so it will be 2.2 bar or 32psi

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
When I first checked my pressures one tyre was up at 42psi the others were all 32/34, I equalised them all at 32 because I also thought 29 seemed very low. Having a slightly higher pressure makes the steering lighter and saves fuel.

·
Registered
346 Posts
When I first checked my pressures one tyre was up at 42psi the others were all 32/34, I equalised them all at 32 because I also thought 29 seemed very low. Having a slightly higher pressure makes the steering lighter and saves fuel.
And creates a bald spot through centre of tyre and looses traction ;) but only at 100psi

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Troute - that suits me, couldn't get away with 29. Thanks.

·
Formally "2Dusterschris"
363 Posts
I've driven 8,000 miles with light or medium loads on tyres inflated to 29 psi.

The car handles well. Fuel economy has been satisfactory and tyre wear even.

If I was towing or fully loaded then I would inflate the tyres to 32psi.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've driven 8,000 miles with light or medium loads on tyres inflated to 29 psi.
The car handles well. Fuel economy has been satisfactory and tyre wear even.
If I was towing or fully loaded then I would inflate the tyres to 32psi.
Hear what you are saying but even when not loaded up it drove awful, will ask the dealers advice when take it in later this month for the rattles to be sorted.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The side wall of every tyre has ratings on it for tyre pressure. I normally go by what it says on there! But you definitely had 32psi in before as that what the dealers inflate the tyres to from cold.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The side wall of every tyre has ratings on it for tyre pressure. I normally go by what it says on there! But you definitely had 32psi in before as that what the dealers inflate the tyres to from cold.
To be honest I did look on the Tyre walls but couldn't see the wheat for the chaff. Will have another look.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Don't forget to allow for the inacurracy of your pressure measuring tool. I usually allow for 10% error. So I set my tyre pressure to 29+10% = 32psi.

Also tyre pressure makes big difference to your fuel economy, so it worth checking them weekly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Tyre pressures are a minefield - subject to safety, comfort, wear, usage, preferences.. you name it. Manufacturers recommendations are just that - recommendations, but they are safe recomendations.

I have a mid-engine rwd MG that's so critical to tyres that only a couple of specifications are considered safe and 2psi down from recommended makes it handle like a dog. On the other hand I have a fwd Citroen Picasso where a puncture at the rear is only just noticeable. My rwd Suzuki 4x4 comes with a 23psi recommendation for OE tyres (same size tyres as the Duster, but a lighter car) but is far better at 29psi on replacements.... My Motorhome runs anywhere above 40psi depending on load...

When the Duster arrives I'll start at recommended pressures but expect to experiment within reason, and the load markings on the tyre wall. From experience I think I'll end up running at least 3 to 4psi up (I have a compressor with a certified gauge) for normal road use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts