UK Dacia Forum banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Duster DCiblue 2x4 comfort. Nearly three months on. 2k miles.

I think the diesel option is over-priced given the market and although I waited a year for this Duster update, I should have waited longer given the better media nav coming soon and the improved petrol engines on their way I believe.

Good stuff - relaxing to drive on long motorway journeys with more oomph than my last Turbo 1.9 diesel, nice comfy seats and ok for me to drive at 6.2" - the reason I waited for this model as the seat is larger and the steering adjustable. I think it looks just fine - different enough to be interesting and obviously good value for money. The auto-lights on and other bells and whistles are a bit of a treat. It handles better than I feared along country roads and although I don't go off-roading I do go along some grim tracks and the Duster copes just fine. If I'm completely honest, a big reason for buying as an older tall person was that I was fed up crawling down into low slung cars. Getting in and out of the Duster is a breeze and a big car for value price and low depreciation is just the ticket. It seems well put together and no creaks, knocks, taps or clicks. It swallows luggage and I like the fact it has a proven engine and the running costs should be moderate. The fuel guage remains full for a long while then drops faster as reported elsewhere - which brings me to:

Niggles & Nitpicking: Ok - so these won't bother most people - but for the neat and graphically minded it's odd that the instrument dials are off-centre compared to the steering wheel, or vice versa (see, I told you it was nitpicking) - but it annoys me mildly they couldn't get that right - just like the ignition key - which has no led light to help locate - nor a rotating dish around it to help you stick the thing in - so three months later I'd be the very worst getaway driver scrabbling to get the key in. If only the drivers seat went back another few inches. And because the engine is so efficient - the heater this winter takes ages to reach warm and the screen remains cloudy too long - so why didn't they stick some form of pre-heater inline to at least help the demisting. And the door handles seem flimsy to me. Nipped my finger in the door handle mechanism too - just a bit crude. All these forgivable in an affordable car with a nice line in 'up-yours' to the school run 4x4 SUV trucks occupying two parking spaces.

Two real issues: One is the Media Nav Evolution that is both agricultural and annoyingly locked into their propriety mapping system. They don't tell you in the advertising that every upgrade is both awkward and expensive. Essentially the (hopelessly wrong sometimes) map updates cost time and money that can be better spent on an android phone and google maps. If you want to control your phone by voice on the system you need to buy an Iphone. Great - just what most Duster buyers are looking for - an affordable phone. The system has crashed completely more than once and a niggle is that when I start the car it decides for itself which radio station to launch regardless of the preset one I was last listening to. On the plus side the sound is better than I feared. Why is the media nav a real issue? Because it's a lump there in the middle of the dash that is already obsolescent and locks you in to costs that you don't have to pay elsewhere. I think we should all get a free upgrade to the newer android system coming out that can link to mapping on your phone.

Second issue might only be for those with selective-sensitive-hearing. It's a quirk like an allergy but this is the only car I know that has an annoying whiney hum most of the time. It whines more than a divorcee who can't get over it. Exactly like that cos it continues sometimes even when you tell it to stop by turning off the engine. A mechanic said it was the priming pump, then he said it was the pump for the ad-blue - then ~I heard it might be the power steering hydraulics or whatever. I dunno but I now understand why the test drive salesman put the radio on immediately. Others won't give a toss but it's almost a deal break for me - like a wonky picture you can't reach to straighten - it's always there like a tiny engineering factory whirring and whining away to it's self. I hope I'll get used to it. I really do, because because besides dictating what radio station I listen to, it's whirring intrusively like a cold-war stazi torture technique. I accept that others may not notice it. Be interested if they do.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Duster DCiblue 2x4 comfort. Nearly three months on. 2k miles.
I think the diesel option is over-priced given the market and although I waited a year for this Duster update, I should have waited longer given the better media nav coming soon and the improved petrol engines on their way I believe.
Good stuff - relaxing to drive on long motorway journeys with more oomph than my last Turbo 1.9 diesel, nice comfy seats and ok for me to drive at 6.2" - the reason I waited for this model as the seat is larger and the steering adjustable. I think it looks just fine - different enough to be interesting and obviously good value for money. The auto-lights on and other bells and whistles are a bit of a treat. It handles better than I feared along country roads and although I don't go off-roading I do go along some grim tracks and the Duster copes just fine. If I'm completely honest, a big reason for buying as an older tall person was that I was fed up crawling down into low slung cars. Getting in and out of the Duster is a breeze and a big car for value price and low depreciation is just the ticket. It seems well put together and no creaks, knocks, taps or clicks. It swallows luggage and I like the fact it has a proven engine and the running costs should be moderate. The fuel guage remains full for a long while then drops faster as reported elsewhere - which brings me to:

Niggles & Nitpicking: Ok - so these won't bother most people - but for the neat and graphically minded it's odd that the instrument dials are off-centre compared to the steering wheel, or vice versa (see, I told you it was nitpicking) - but it annoys me mildly they couldn't get that right - just like the ignition key - which has no led light to help locate - nor a rotating dish around it to help you stick the thing in - so three months later I'd be the very worst getaway driver scrabbling to get the key in. If only the drivers seat went back another few inches. And because the engine is so efficient - the heater this winter takes ages to reach warm and the screen remains cloudy too long - so why didn't they stick some form of pre-heater inline to at least help the demisting. And the door handles seem flimsy to me. Nipped my finger in the door handle mechanism too - just a bit crude. All these forgivable in an affordable car with a nice line in 'up-yours' to the school run 4x4 SUV trucks occupying two parking spaces.

Two real issues: One is the Media Nav Evolution that is both agricultural and annoyingly locked into their propriety mapping system. They don't tell you in the advertising that every upgrade is both awkward and expensive. Essentially the (hopelessly wrong sometimes) map updates cost time and money that can be better spent on an android phone and google maps. If you want to control your phone by voice on the system you need to buy an Iphone. Great - just what most Duster buyers are looking for - an affordable phone. The system has crashed completely more than once and a niggle is that when I start the car it decides for itself which radio station to launch regardless of the preset one I was last listening to. On the plus side the sound is better than I feared. Why is the media nav a real issue? Because it's a lump there in the middle of the dash that is already obsolescent and locks you in to costs that you don't have to pay elsewhere. I think we should all get a free upgrade to the newer android system coming out that can link to mapping on your phone.
Second issue might only be for those with selective-sensitive-hearing. It's a quirk like an allergy but this is the only car I know that has an annoying whiney hum most of the time. It whines more than a divorcee who can't get over it. Exactly like that cos it continues sometimes even when you tell it to stop by turning off the engine. A mechanic said it was the priming pump, then he said it was the pump for the ad-blue - then ~I heard it might be the power steering hydraulics or whatever. I dunno but I now understand why the test drive salesman put the radio on immediately. Others won't give a toss but it's almost a deal break for me - like a wonky picture you can't reach to straighten - it's always there like a tiny engineering factory whirring and whining away to it's self. I hope I'll get used to it. I really do, because because besides dictating what radio station I listen to, it's whirring intrusively like a cold-war stazi torture technique. I accept that others may not notice it. Be interested if they do.
I'm glad myself and members of my family aren't the only ones to suffer the "hungry door handles". We've been nipped a few times.

God I hate medianav, utter rubbish!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Here is my review.

Dacia Duster Prestige 1.5 diesel, 110bhp, 2WD, Desert Sand, bought December 2018. We took delivery of our Duster just before christmas 2018. Shortly afterwards we were both ill on and off, my other half spent 5 days in hospital. Followed by a holiday in Tenerife, then I was ill again. Hence upto 22/02/19 the car had only done 257 miles. I have had a few days in Manchester with the car, and a chance to test it properly.

The car handles great on the motorway its quiet, hardly any wind or tyre noise. It's comfortable and handles well, my fuel consumption was 77.8 mpg between the north east and Manchester. I thought that the running boards I had fitted might affect it, it hasn't I don't think. We had the wheel arch protectors and the door trims fitted, they do look the part with the body colour. The boot is enormous and just swallowed the stuff I put in it. The seats are comfortable, and give plenty of support.

The Wireless (radio) is easy to use as is the sat nav, and media, all 6 functions on the screen are clear. The 4 camera's are a good assistant when parking, also the blind spot warning work well. There is loads of stuff in the car that I havn't touched yet, but given time I will. There are only a few minor niggles with the car, 1 there is no rest for the left foot, 2 no electrically folding mirrors and 3 for me the inside rear view mirror blocks the center of the windscreen.

Overall the car is really good, and better than what I expected. I am well pleased with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dacia Duster Prestige Tce 130 Slate Grey

Had the car for 10 days now and I'm extremely impressed. Having driven a diesel Laureate Duster for the past 5 years I was underwhelmed by the Sce engine but this Tce 1.3 is a breed apart and well worth wait. It's quiet and smooth and has the torque that the Sce 1.6 so badly lacks. I haven't really missed the grunt of the diesel at all and have appreciated those extra bhp when loaded. It really handles so much better than the previous Duster too - and that's a real plus.

Pros

Much quieter to drive. The driving experience is much improved and long journeys are not a problem.
Internal environment is so much better. Switches and dials feel and look much more premium and the general layout much improved. Seats good too.
There's a flick wipe for the wipers! (Hooray)
MediaNav is impressive too. Seems much more responsive than the original Duster 2 screen to me and Apple CarPlay works well but needs to be connected via USB connection. At least this means you don't have to use Dacia's Nav system. Wake, Apple Maps etc will work and display on screen from your phone. Having 6 speakers has improved the sound too. Putting 2 tweeters in the facia has really pepped up the fidelity.

Cons

Not many really. And they're all pretty picky.
Not a fan of engine stop/start but that's not Dacia's fault and we all need to get used to it for pollutions sake. You can override it temporarily. Having said that it works really well.
Why oh why did the put the USB port in the top right edge of the frame of the MediaNav screen. It means you have a cable dangling across the screen.
Front parking sensors go mad if you're manoeuvring to park close to a wall or hedge owing to the sensor on the side of the car at the front.
Like the previous review folding wing mirrors would be good but they fold easily enough manually BUT not having a footrest for your clutch foot is a real criticism.

As you can see there's much more to praise about the new Duster than criticise. In fact, for the price, it's an unbelievable car and puts some more expensive SUVs to shame. Particularly when it comes to boot space.

Great car ..... but if you're going for a petrol model then pay the little bit extra for the Tce.... you won't regret it

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dacia Duster Prestige Tce 130 Slate Grey

Had the car for 10 days now and I'm extremely impressed. Having driven a diesel Laureate Duster for the past 5 years I was underwhelmed by the Sce engine but this Tce 1.3 is a breed apart and well worth wait. It's quiet and smooth and has the torque that the Sce 1.6 so badly lacks. I haven't really missed the grunt of the diesel at all and have appreciated those extra bhp when loaded. It really handles so much better than the previous Duster too - and that's a real plus.

Pros

Much quieter to drive. The driving experience is much improved and long journeys are not a problem.
Internal environment is so much better. Switches and dials feel and look much more premium and the general layout much improved. Seats good too.
There's a flick wipe for the wipers! (Hooray)
MediaNav is impressive too. Seems much more responsive than the original Duster 2 screen to me and Apple CarPlay works well but needs to be connected via USB connection. At least this means you don't have to use Dacia's Nav system. Wake, Apple Maps etc will work and display on screen from your phone. Having 6 speakers has improved the sound too. Putting 2 tweeters in the facia has really pepped up the fidelity.

Cons

Not many really. And they're all pretty picky.
Not a fan of engine stop/start but that's not Dacia's fault and we all need to get used to it for pollutions sake. You can override it temporarily. Having said that it works really well.
Why oh why did the put the USB port in the top right edge of the frame of the MediaNav screen. It means you have a cable dangling across the screen.
Front parking sensors go mad if you're manoeuvring to park close to a wall or hedge owing to the sensor on the side of the car at the front.
Like the previous review folding wing mirrors would be good but they fold easily enough manually BUT not having a footrest for your clutch foot is a real criticism.

As you can see there's much more to praise about the new Duster than criticise. In fact, for the price, it's an unbelievable car and puts some more expensive SUVs to shame. Particularly when it comes to boot space.

Great car ..... but if you're going for a petrol model then pay the little bit extra for the Tce.... you won't regret it
It's going to be really interesting to see how well the engine holds up. The general trend these days for small CC engine with big turbos is a recipe for disaster. Are the engine truely strong enough? Have they traded off power and economy for longevity? You never get "something for nothing" and 1300CC is a pretty small lump for a big car.
(Yup I know about the 3 cyclinder ford ecoboost 1 litre engines, again, I'd question how long they will last).
Are the big ends of these small engines truely engineered enough to take these large turbos?

Having no experience of the 1st gen duster, it does sound like the 2nd gen is a big step up.
With over 10k miles now under my belt, and a 1.5blue engine that is now nicely run in, I'd say mine is indeed exceptional value for money. I just hope it lasts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hear you. But it is the way of all car manufacturers nowadays and we all have to live with it. At least the Tce family has been around for a few years and doesn't need to rev hard at all to get it's maximum torque and the duster is pretty light too.

I agree with you - they don't necessarily make engines like they used to - but this is a great little unit for now and I have an extended warranty to cover the anxiety,,,,

Enjoy your Duster - it's still an amazing car......

·
Registered
98 Posts
I hear you. But it is the way of all car manufacturers nowadays and we all have to live with it. At least the Tce family has been around for a few years and doesn't need to rev hard at all to get it's maximum torque and the duster is pretty light too.

I agree with you - they don't necessarily make engines like they used to - but this is a great little unit for now and I have an extended warranty to cover the anxiety,,,,

Enjoy your Duster - it's still an amazing car......
It is indeed the way lots of manufactures are going, it's convenient from the emissions perspective.

Don't be fooled into thinking that revving an engine hard is the worst case as far as engine strength is concerned.
High loads such as pulling up from a low speed in a high gear also cause tremendous stress on the bottom end of an engine.
Don't get me wrong, maybe they are more than strong enough, maybe. But I suspect with profit margins being squeezed, do they really care if the engine won't last long after the warranty expires?
Hmmmm. It used to be the case that engines were designed not to be laboured (performance engines aside). Just doesn't seem to be the case now.

I suppose all will be revealed in the fullness of time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. The trend for these smaller 'stressed' engines is a little worrying but I'm hoping that a few years experience in Tce technology might rub off on the new 1.3 - especially after 1.2 fiasco in 2015 (admittedly they did seem to put the issue right in later 1.2's). An extended warranty has protected me financially but reliability is key to any car whatever the price. I'm staying optimistic (and it is a fabulous engine to drive) but you're absolutely right - only time will tell.

Happy motoring......

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's going to be really interesting to see how well the engine holds up. The general trend these days for small CC engine with big turbos is a recipe for disaster. Are the engine truely strong enough? Have they traded off power and economy for longevity? You never get "something for nothing" and 1300CC is a pretty small lump for a big car.
(Yup I know about the 3 cyclinder ford ecoboost 1 litre engines, again, I'd question how long they will last).
Are the big ends of these small engines truely engineered enough to take these large turbos?

Having no experience of the 1st gen duster, it does sound like the 2nd gen is a big step up.
With over 10k miles now under my belt, and a 1.5blue engine that is now nicely run in, I'd say mine is indeed exceptional value for money. I just hope it lasts
I completely agree. As an engineer I just see the TCE trend in modern cars mean engines will not be as reliable. The ecoboost uses extra technology to drop a cylinder and only run on two cylinders. Which means a whole host of balancing issues also. To get the power out of the small engines they need to always be higher rev too, to ensure the turbo is compressing air. So this leads to the six speed gearbox.

I have gotten one of the last SCE 1.6 engines, test drove one and had plenty of power if driven correct for normal driving. Even test drived it on the motorway up a speed hill to make sure.

Also turbos tend to need servicing or replacing in the long run or they seize so that can be quite costly.

If your going to go turbo or eco you may as well do diesel, although EGRs and DPFs are a whole host of reliability issues too. This is why I have gone back to petrol.

Awaiting delivery of my Duster. Will review it once I have it!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I completely agree. As an engineer I just see the TCE trend in modern cars mean engines will not be as reliable. The ecoboost uses extra technology to drop a cylinder and only run on two cylinders. Which means a whole host of balancing issues also. To get the power out of the small engines they need to always be higher rev too, to ensure the turbo is compressing air. So this leads to the six speed gearbox.

I have gotten one of the last SCE 1.6 engines, test drove one and had plenty of power if driven correct for normal driving. Even test drived it on the motorway up a speed hill to make sure.

Also turbos tend to need servicing or replacing in the long run or they seize so that can be quite costly.

If your going to go turbo or eco you may as well do diesel, although EGRs and DPFs are a whole host of reliability issues too. This is why I have gone back to petrol.

Awaiting delivery of my Duster. Will review it once I have it!
EGR, DPF. And......... ADblue dosing.

Turbos in general lead to a whole host of reliability problems long term ..... my 1.5blue is so noise when you turn off the engine (I still have no idea what all the noise is "running" under the bonnet") that it's hard to tell what's going on.
But for sure, if you're going to just stop a turbo engine (auto start stop?), you'd best be keeping an electric oil pump running to stop the hydrostatic bearings in the turbo cooking and carbonising the oil they drift in.
If not, the result is long term failure. The same goes for long high speed runs, then pulling up and turning off....... large heat soak into the turbo, not good for the bearings.
This goes equally for petrol as well as diesel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
EGR, DPF. And......... ADblue dosing.

Turbos in general lead to a whole host of reliability problems long term ..... my 1.5blue is so noise when you turn off the engine (I still have no idea what all the noise is "running" under the bonnet") that it's hard to tell what's going on.
But for sure, if you're going to just stop a turbo engine (auto start stop?), you'd best be keeping an electric oil pump running to stop the hydrostatic bearings in the turbo cooking and carbonising the oil they drift in.
If not, the result is long term failure. The same goes for long high speed runs, then pulling up and turning off....... large heat soak into the turbo, not good for the bearings.
This goes equally for petrol as well as diesel.
I agree with all of that.

What do you mean it makes noise after you turn the engine off under the, bonnet?

I presume the adblue pump is below rear seat area? As the tank is below the boot space for the adlue and it is injected after the DPF I believe.

Maybe the coolent fan or pump is still running for the engine after it is switched off?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree with all of that.

What do you mean it makes noise after you turn the engine off under the, bonnet?

I presume the adblue pump is below rear seat area? As the tank is below the boot space for the adlue and it is injected after the DPF I believe.

Maybe the coolent fan or pump is still running for the engine after it is switched off?
Def coming from under the bonnet, electronic pulsing sort of noise.

I'll take some video when I get the chance

·
Registered
98 Posts
You found the problem yet. Is it a DCi as the fuel pumps are making noises and a new replacement is being released in May 2019'
Not yet, not got around to videoing it.

There is a constant humming, and then a secondary pulsing.

Not holding out any hope for any sort of rectification, I've been waiting 3 weeks for the Dacia dealership to get back to me about the oil filter they couldn't change because "the whole of the Uk is on back order". They changed the oil but not the filter!

Dacia service has to be the worst I have ever encountered.
My Medianav is also due to be changed under warranty, I've almost lost the will to live on that one !

·
Registered
44 Posts
Not yet, not got around to videoing it.

There is a constant humming, and then a secondary pulsing.

Not holding out any hope for any sort of rectification, I've been waiting 3 weeks for the Dacia dealership to get back to me about the oil filter they couldn't change because "the whole of the Uk is on back order". They changed the oil but not the filter!

Dacia service has to be the worst I have ever encountered.
My Medianav is also due to be changed under warranty, I've almost lost the will to live on that one !
The oil filter sounds ridiculous. Must be a common filter size. Who is the dealer? Not sure if it's Dacia or just a dodgy dealer as other people have had great service. Have you tried contacting Dacia directly to complain? Perhaps wait to see what happens with the Media Nav.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The oil filter sounds ridiculous. Must be a common filter size. Who is the dealer? Not sure if it's Dacia or just a dodgy dealer as other people have had great service. Have you tried contacting Dacia directly to complain? Perhaps wait to see what happens with the Media Nav.
Motorline Renault Maidstone, massive main dealers of both Renault and Dacia.
I could've believe it, they left the brake switch unplugged that needs changing under the dash, that fouled the pedals when I drive it, didn't change the oil filter as part of the service, and am waiting for the mediashite unit to be swapped under warranty. 3 weeks ago the service was, they had the car over 24 hrs and didn't even clean it.
£250 please sir.
Let's hope they change the oil again when they eventually swap out the filter.

Dacia Uk (Renault) are on the case but are shite.
They started off telling me that they couldn't upgrade the ICE to the new CarPlay version (as a good will gesture) cos it would void my warranty (wtf?) then back tracked and said it wouldnt fit, then backtracked and said that they just wouldn't.

All in all it's a proper mess.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You found the problem yet. Is it a DCi as the fuel pumps are making noises and a new replacement is being released in May 2019'
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0p3oe42mp063w1u/Video%2013-04-2019%2C%2020%2055%2057.mov?dl=0

There's more than one noise going on here, the pulsing at the beginning, then the whining.

Never known a diesel to make so much noise once the engine is off and keys out of the ignition.

Why exactly would the fuel pump need to run after the engine is off, I could understand it needs to prime when glowing the plugs before starting......... but when turned off?

61 - 80 of 105 Posts