UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All this rain! Thinking I shall have to consider something a bit gnarlier than the stock tyres on my 4WD Duster to get about my few acres without embarassment. (Almost got stuck recently in one of my well-poached/sodden gateways: eventually made it without sliding onto the barbed wire!) I might consider getting a set of steels with some really deep-cut rubber for winter-use only, but I'm lazy about swapping. Any suggestions please for a good compromise tyre (if there is such a thing) that won't make too much of a dent in mpg on tarmac?

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
All this rain! Thinking I shall have to consider something a bit gnarlier than the stock tyres on my 4WD Duster to get about my few acres without embarassment. (Almost got stuck recently in one of my well-poached/sodden gateways: eventually made it without sliding onto the barbed wire!) I might consider getting a set of steels with some really deep-cut rubber for winter-use only, but I'm lazy about swapping. Any suggestions please for a good compromise tyre (if there is such a thing) that won't make too much of a dent in mpg on tarmac?
Ta dah! Better late than never :rolleyes: I wouldn't have minded a pm.

My tyres are clones of the ones posted via links- the BFG A/Ts. I happen to think they they are very good value for money. They do hum above 20-25mph, but having "grown up" on Land Rovers I love it.

http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/forum/topic/4948-event-ml698-at-tyre/

·
Registered
521 Posts
At lot of guys here are getting the Yokohama Geolandar AT (G012) as it is at a sweet price point for the performance. https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/geolandar_a_t_s

Alternate tyre size to the OEM 215/70/16 is 235/60/16. That is 4% difference in height, but 9% wider. Be careful with going any taller as you will destroy your gear ratio for pulling power. Also, much wider and you start rubbing.

However, the Hankook Dynapro ATM (all terrain and mud?) here offers a mileage guarantee, which kinda backs up their harder compound claim. http://www.hankooktire.com/uk/passenger-cars/hankook-dynapro-at-m-rf10.html, but is pricier.
I had Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on my hot hatch which way outperformed the OEM Dunlops and lasted longer. Not sure how they managed the soft and hard compound combination.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How time flies! Anyway, I finally bought a new set of tyres. I'm not about to give more than passing comment on performance as only a few hundred miles on the new treads so far.

Having had plenty of financial outgoings over the period (setting up new business), I've "lived" with the original Conti's which got me to 44.5k miles over 4 yrs with several thou' miles of tread left, but I decided to play safe on tread depth/performance & replaced them with Yokohama Geolanders All Terrain (YG).

I searched hard for residual stock of the YG G012s, without success in Duster size. I then searched for the newer G015 in Light Truck tread pattern, but again w/o success (I guess they don't do LT tread in Duster size). So ordered unspecified YG G015 which, as expected, turned out to be the passenger car (PT tread) version.

So, my very early comments on the new YG G015s: I haven't noticed any road-noise difference what-so-ever compared to the original Conti's (despite fact that 2013 Dusters are not best insulated noise-wise); road traction in all conditions seems pretty good; despite the recent rains, Fluffs sauntered up the steep grassy track-way on my fields with nary a wheel-spin on her new treads. So far so good then, but too early to gauge MPG difference.

Why YG choice?: comprehensive searches for user reviews suggested the G015 was not a bad buy re traction, longevity, price - maybe not the best "50/50" road/off-road tyre in the world for traction in slippery conditions, but most of my mileage is actually on road and I was not convinced the other prime contenders (BT Goodrich or Avent copy) would give me decent tyre mileage. Perhaps others can testify otherwise as regards BT G' or Avent mileage, but too late for me!

Long post already, but I have to say: I ordered my YG from National Tyres (NT) immediately after my MOT at NT. Bad move: if your tyres are closing in on end-of-life (rather than failed), wait a while as you might get a discount offer. I receive a 15% discount offer AFTER I'd replaced my tyres: however, very kindly, National Tyres have agreed to apply the discount retrospectively so I'm smiling right now!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought 2 x BF Goodrich A/T for the rear .
I'll by 2 for the front next pay check.
Tackled off-road with great success and confidence recently.
Deffo noisier though .
I don't drive my Duster except on weekends so I don't mind this .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Running Yoko gs, had the original conts on the car and i could not stand them. Fronts were bald after 9kish, shocking problems in rain and they would slip in mud. Changed to yoko geo and put 10k down once again and hardly any ware of them and they have been abused to hell across all kinds of road conditions and speeds.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just had some BF Goodrich All Terrain fitted. Did a fair bit of research on various forums before making the choice but so glad I went for these. I chose a slightly bigger than stock tire in order to give the car a bit more of a butch look and provide more traction as well ;)

I got 225/70 r16's which look great, but do they effect the handling you ask... Well yes, they don't have quite the same turn in as the stock size tire (was running factory cross-contacts) and there is a bit more bump-steer than before, overall though it still goes round corners almost as well, just slightly more roll, no biggie really.

The car feels noticeably higher, after all the tires are an inch and a half bigger in diameter. This gives a really good look though, as they fill the arches more.

I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of road noise as well, I thought these would be a lot louder than stock but they are only marginally more noisy and only at low speeds (20-30mph), after about 40mph you don't notice the noise anymore than stock tires.

I'll try and post a picture up if I can remember which photo site I use!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have falken wildpeak at3w fitted in factory size. 3 peak snow rated. Quiet and grippy on cold and wet roads, no extra road noise. My mpg has dropped from 59mpg to 55mpg (lots of motorway ) no snow so far and limited off road will update when been in snow/mud. Surprisingly improved ride quality (pressure unchanged) conti's still had 3-4mm on but two had puntures so i changed early.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts