UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
Been a member for a while but have not contributed until I have set sight on a Duster in person. Had the opportunity this weekend. The larger dealership in Birmingham has an Ambience in silver with an Adventurer Pack. Although subjective and based on the aesthetics of the model (as have yet to get a test drive) I much prefer the steel wheels compared to the Laureate's alloys and the general rugged look. I would not recommend the black plastic Adventurer pack, it looks good from a distance, but closer examination shows the plastic to be coming away from the metal work already.
The other model that was on display, and available for test driving was a white Laureate, with a mish mash of the add ons. It had the chrome bars from the styling pack which looked very much like add ons and distorted the look of the vehicle. It also had the reversing sensors and the arm rest from the touring pack. I would agree with another contributor that the arm rest seriously interferes with the use of the hand break. I get the basic plastic look, it is practical and the reason why I am able to afford the Duster. However, sat in the Laureate, looking across to the passenger seat, wedged on the roof and part of the internal light is a big plastic map shelf. It looks ridiculous and totally wrong. Is this an add-on, because in all the literature I've read about the models and accessories there is no mention of this lump of plastic. Can anyone shed any light?
I'm disappointed as I have order the 4x4 Laureate in grey (due to a/c more than anything else), but having looked around both models the Ambience is more appealing as it is basic and without any pretensions of being anything else. The Laureate with this big plastic map shelf and also the satin chrome door handles seems to be trying too hard to be something it isn't.
Despite putting my order back another 'many' months I am seriously considering changing my order to the Ambience 4x4. Has anyone else found the Big Plastic Map Shelf as ugly and as out of place as I have?

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
I would not recommend the black plastic Adventurer pack, it looks good from a distance, but closer examination shows the plastic to be coming away from the metal work already.
That's a worry tbh. If it's coming away already, a number of things will happen:

1) It'll fall off
2) It comes suitably lose in such a way that it starts rubbing through your paintwork, and eventually rust
3) It'll trap water and dirt, thus making potential future rust issues.

Welcome to the site by the way

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've seen the map shelf, ( didn't really know what it was ) in the 4x4 laureate I road tested at the dealer. It also had the folding armrest which is a pain in town shielding the handbrake, but could be useful on long motorway journeys. A touch expensive even on its own or part of the accessory pack. I do hope the map shelf doesn't come through in the access model, it makes the cabin feel claustrophobic.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes I noticed the dod of plastic on the roof ! The sales rep did not no a thing about it , as the arm rest . He could not tell me a thing about it , or if it would be fitted on any or all the model ?? Des

·
Registered
173 Posts
I too noticed the so called map shelf, didn't bother me too much to be honest. I also noticed a white Duster with the adventure plastic wheel arch extenders fitted and also thought some of it appeared to be coming away.

I agree that the best model would be the Ambience if it were only fitted with air con. I like the steel wheels and everything else but you can tell that clever marketing people have assessed every combination and worked out that in this country most will go for air con leaving only the option of 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive.

I actually like the look of the adventure parts but intend to fit myself so I know it'll be done properly. I also intend to fit a tow bar, electrics, rear parking sensors and side protection. Works out a lot cheaper and really easy to fit in all honesty. I've previously fitted tow bars to VW group cars and re programmed using vag com. Quite complicated but once set up tells you exactly what bulb has failed on trailer and even sets the car alarm off if de coupled when parked. The Duster of course won't do any of that, it's as simple as a 2001 Laguna, which I don't mind in all honesty.

Simon

·
Registered
96 Posts
When I took my test drive I did not notice the arm rest until I swapped with my son driving and I sat in the back. The rep told me I was the first to drive the car that day and when I got in the back the arm rest was up as it did not interfere with the handbrake so they must have done that. If the sales manager was to be believed he had been driving it as a company car (and was impressed by it - but this may have been sales talk). If I was the first to drive it that day, then he must have put the armrest up.

Anyway, they had the armrest in the up position so they may think the handbrake problem may be an issue as commented on by others on here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Done it, changed my original order to the Ambiance 4x4 with ASR. Dealer, a small Renault garage in Stourbridge, doesn't know a great deal about the car, but have been very helpful. David Webb is the man to speak to. According to him the original order had not been processed at the factory, which meant the amendment has overidden the original and the new order has not gone to the back of the queue, we shall see. ETD 'late March, early April', we shall see!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts