UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Lately i have been thinking about a small tour in Europe specially the one going from UK all the way down to Algarve in Portugal. It is a 1300 miles trip each way with me my wife and a 5 year old in the car.

From what i have been reading all over the internet, this kind of trips all ways favour a larger diesel engine. Is my 0.9 Tce engine capable of such a trip without problem? What about the mountain roads in southern France/Northern Spain, will it be able to do them without much struggle?

I appreciate your comments on this crazy idea of mine.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
A friend of mine bought a £500 Renault 5 off eBay, and then drove it from Northumberland to The Gambia via France, Spain, Morocco, Western Sahara and Mauritania. About 4000 miles.

The only problem they had was a small oil leak crossing the Pyrenees.

Your car may be up to the trip, but are you, with a 5 year-old?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Will not be an issue at all, check the fluids and tyres then off you go, the cars are so capable nowadays it's not even worth considering, make sure you have a DVD player and stack of disks for the youngster and a sun screen for the window

·
Registered
382 Posts
My view is the same as others don't worry about the car.... worry about that distance with a 5 year old.... our little-un was moaning about the 3 and half hours to Devon ;)

Reactions: antavi

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
this engine its also in the new renault clio

and overall why wouldnt be capable of such a trip it has 90 bhp turbo charged

do u have the money to put fuel in it?!, if u do just go B)

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
I've been using the ViaMichelin route planner to look at some trips. It includes traffic delays and most importantly tells you how much the tolls will cost, and an estimate of Petrol costs.

It is giving Calais to Faro [click <- to see] as

£324.86 With a Petrol vehicle
Comprising: Toll £76.29 | Petrol £248.57

Time :22h30 with 21h50 on motorways
Distance: 1382 mi with 1363 mi on motorways

If you avoid the tolls

£245.44 GBP With a Petrol vehicle
Comprising Tolls £5.60 and Petrol £239.84

Time: 34h31 with 04h27 on motorways
Distance: 1367 mi with 265 mi on motorways

So by using the toll motorways you save 12 hours (probably more as you'd get stuck in traffic on the D roads), it costs £79 more but it might also save an overnight hotel stop.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the replies guys.

Yes i know with a kid i need to have entertainment for him and lots of stops. We are not going in a rush, we will go slowly to enjoy the trip and make a lot of stops to see the views.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thank you for all the replies guys.

Yes i know with a kid i need to have entertainment for him and lots of stops. We are not going in a rush, we will go slowly to enjoy the trip and make a lot of stops to see the views.
All I can do then is wish you luck! (not regarding the car.... but with entertaining your child :) )

Reactions: antavi

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have just remembered that years ago a 12 year school friend spent 3 weeks touring round Europe with her parents in an original 850cc Mini City! A modern car would be a doddle compared to that!

·
Sandero Forum Moderator
861 Posts
I drove a mini 998cc from Calais to Almeria in southern Spain. 24 hours and a few litres of oil later I arrived!

I was pretty much mini seat shaped but it was a gift for a friends wifes 40th birthday so it had to be there on time along with a car full of spares :lol: :lol: :lol:

So pack the car up grab a map and go and have an adventure!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I drove a mini 998cc from Calais to Almeria in southern Spain. 24 hours and a few litres of oil later I arrived!

I was pretty much mini seat shaped but it was a gift for a friends wifes 40th birthday so it had to be there on time along with a car full of spares :lol: :lol: :lol:

So pack the car up grab a map and go and have an adventure!
That's pretty much it. Thank you.

·
Sandero Forum Moderator
319 Posts
Don't worry about the trip the car will perform ok for you. I have just returned from central france having covered a total of 1700 miles in a 1.2 Sandero (of which about 1250-1300 miles were towing a 500 Kg trailer fully loaded with camping gear).

Achieved arround 39 mpg as well which I am well happy with considering that in France the Speed limit is about 81 Mph on the motorway's and I was probably doing the best part of 75 most of the time when Towing

·
Registered
117 Posts
I went as far as Gubin, Poland on my recent 2 week road trip in Europe.

I can confirm max speed is ~106mph and going down hill flat out brings between 110-115mph

Has sat comfortably at 90mph (about 3,700rpm) for extended time and has not fallen to pieces yet :p

76mph/3,000rpm seems the most comfortable/speed/fuel consumption and balance though in terms of road and wind noise.

PgEp0In.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went as far as Gubin, Poland on my recent 2 week road trip in Europe.

I can confirm max speed is ~106mph and going down hill flat out brings between 110-115mph

Has sat comfortably at 90mph (about 3,700rpm) for extended time and has not fallen to pieces yet :p

76mph/3,000rpm seems the most comfortable/speed/fuel consumption and balance though in terms of road and wind noise.
Wow nice one. I feel better now thinking about doing it in the 0.9 petrol ;-) .

I took my "inlaws" this weekend to Luton airport, 100 miles each way to get the feel for the car in a longer journey, and it was quite nice. Car fully loaded, 4 chubby adults and a kid + full trunk and full tank, returned just above 50 mpg.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts