UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Ordered my Dci90 Stepway, what I was wondering was, can I run it on Bio Diesel or a 50/50 mix of both?

I will be interested in your views and thoughts......

Getting excited about my Stepway, hurry up, I cant sleep :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I seem to remember reading something that said no to bio diesel.

May be in the handbook.

Sent from my HTC One X using DaciaForum.co.uk mobile app

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just been reading about biodiesel and the fact that 'it can usually be used without any modifications to most diesel engines'. Would this be the case for my 4 x 4 diesel Duster?

Seems to be a lot of yes and no answers elsewhere but does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
167 Posts
biodiesels in a common rail diesel would risk damage to your engine.

However the HVO diesel thats also a kind of biodiesel seems to work ok.. since some fuelstations here only sells diesel with 25% HVO in it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
aint B30 common in france?

But thats the closest i got to an answer if i could run biodiesel in my Duster..

the closest to biodiesel i get is HVO diesel

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe industry mix 1-2% biodiesel into most diesel fuels that they sell, but i wouldn't ever run it 50/50. Let us know how you fair if you try it though...

Posted Via The DaciaForum.co.uk App

·
Registered
517 Posts
A vexing question, CAN you run on a 50/50 mix - well yes you can, SHOULD you run on a 50/50 mix? only in extreme emergency situations as your engine WILL be damaged.

Its all about FAME - look it up if you're interested, basically you can add bio diesel to the mix at around 2% and to 5% if you intend to use the fuel straight away and IF the fuel is fresh to start with - the last is a unknown so take that the fuel is old in all cases.

The bottom line is that IF you want to enjoy a full warranty keep away from cooking fat, biodiesel and all the other dubious fuels that CAN be used.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've started adding about 200 ml of two stroke oil to every fill up as recommended on pistonheads.com not sure if it's going to kill my engine or not but I thought it was worth a go. They seem to rave about it.
Anyone here got any thoughts on the subject?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sirmaggie, the modern two stroke oils that burn leaving no residue are certainly worth a look to help lubricate the moving parts in the fuel system along with the exhaust valves and top piston ring - BUT at 200ml in 50Ltrs its hard to see what effect if any it could have, but at the same time its hard to imagine it would do any harm. But I have no data on it either way and all the evidence is hearsay.

By far the greatest threat we face is water in the fuel, the quick easy way to trash a diesel engine. The best solution I have found to combat this is an additive called fuelset by Liquid Engineering - in short it does what it says on the packet - so in my humble opinion if you want to put anything in the fuel use fuelset.

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
I've started adding about 200 ml of two stroke oil to every fill up as recommended on pistonheads.com not sure if it's going to kill my engine or not but I thought it was worth a go. They seem to rave about it.
Anyone here got any thoughts on the subject?

Diesel is an oily fuel anyway and I wouldn't add anything to my fuel that might damage the DPF, especially if it is oil based. The engine oil used with a DPF fitted is special (low ash & sulpher) and you don't burn anything like 200 ml of that per tank of diesel. Just my thoughts ! ;)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Diesel is an oily fuel anyway and I wouldn't add anything to my fuel that might damage the DPF, especially if it is oil based. The engine oil used with a DPF fitted is special (low ash & sulpher) and you don't burn anything like 200 ml of that per tank of diesel. Just my thoughts ! ;)
You 're quite correct but the problem is that since 2011 most of the sulphur has been removed from diesel (now 5ppm from 1000ppm) and sulphur is what designers relied on to lubricate the fuel system and other assorted bits and pieces. The latest spec for diesel fuels is not helping and bio fuel is positively nasty.

It's complicated, but modern engines do in fact "burn" more oil than previous examples but as you say nothing like 200ml per tankful, but owners often mistake a dipstick level that doesn't move for proof the engine is not burning oil - but if you took all the carbon out of the sump oil the level would be well down!

The good news is that the Dacia engine has evolved through this nightmare and is reliable when used with the correct lube oil and fuel.

That said water contamination in the fuel is still a very real concern (it happens after the oil company has made it) and us hapless users have very little control over it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I spent some time trying to find out from Morrisons Supermarket, what type of biodiesel is added to their diesel (it states in tiny writing that biodiesel is blended into their diesel) and they couldn't say whether it was plant based or old chip pan oil.

For this reason I only use Shell V Power Diesel in the UK & Repsol 10e Diesel in Spain for both my Duster & Merc ML.

I wouldn't risk my engine on cheaper fuel. My mpg is doing my bit for the environment :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
All diesel in the EU has to include a minimum of 5% biodiesel by law. As stated common rail engines don't like 100% BD but will tolerate a certain amount. In this case ask Renault.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts