UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cap of the brake fluid reservoir screws on at an angle to the horizontal.

When you park facing down an incline the brake fluid floods the cap and seeps out.

You can see the yellow fluid which builds up around the "waistband" seam of the reservoir.

My local dealer first tried to tell me that the cap was not sealing tightly enough (missing the fact that the cap has a breather system built into it)

Dealers second attempt was to say that there was not a fault since nothing was recorded on the Dacia internal database.

Having spoken to Dacia customer services I am now told that the issue is acknowledged by themselves and it is being investigated.

My mitigation fix is to reduce the brake fluid level to the mid point rather than "full" as supplied by the dealer which cuts down on the amount of fluid flooding the cap when the car is downhill.

·
Sandero Forum Moderator
861 Posts
Im glad you let Dacia know. My drive is on a slight incline and thankfully this hasn't been a problem for me but its good to know!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am going to check tomorrow - Thanks for this! I too live on the side of a hill....

·
Registered
203 Posts
If they get an engineer to sort this they will re site the reservoir and all the extra work,if i was Dacia i would just source some taller caps :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same problem but Sheffield dealer say they have not heard of he problem before. If you find or hear of solution please let us know

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had this problem since I bought the car, I have had the cap replaced and the reservoir complete replaced (or so the dealer said). I have raised this issue repeatedly with Dacia's appalling customer service stressing that it is a safety issue and have basically been fobbed off with an email every month telling me that they are 'looking at the problem'. I wrote to the Managing Director of Dacia UK, who passed my letter on to customer service!

I remember reading on one of the forums here that they had found a solution to the problem but when I pressed customer service about it they said that they only produced a trial batch and that they had run out!

I refuse to believe that every Sandero sent out has a leaking brake fluid cap - is the problem solved on later batches or are there thousands of dangerous Sanderos out there?

·
Premium Member
4,019 Posts
I have had this problem since I bought the car, I have had the cap replaced and the reservoir complete replaced (or so the dealer said). I have raised this issue repeatedly with Dacia's appalling customer service stressing that it is a safety issue and have basically been fobbed off with an email every month telling me that they are 'looking at the problem'. I wrote to the Managing Director of Dacia UK, who passed my letter on to customer service!

I remember reading on one of the forums here that they had found a solution to the problem but when I pressed customer service about it they said that they only produced a trial batch and that they had run out!

I refuse to believe that every Sandero sent out has a leaking brake fluid cap - is the problem solved on later batches or are there thousands of dangerous Sanderos out there?
Hi brianm, welcome to the forum !

Just to let you know that mine doesn't and never has, leaked in over 3 years !! :eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Roger, I have got through another container of brake fluid since May and am onto my sixth since I bought it 3 years ago. Dacia are really shooting themselves in the foot over this, because generally I am delighted with the car, but would hesitate to buy another because of the poor customer support. I'm wondering if they aren't playing the same trick as ford did over the Ford Pinto fuel tank problem in that they reasoned it was cheaper to pay out compensation for deaths and injuries than to do a recall!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I reported this problem on my 1st 2013 Stepway. Got the same response as you "looking into it ".My 2015 Stepway only weeps very slightly. A simple plastic cap extension would solve the problem for a few pence per vehicle. ????????

·
Premium Member
4,019 Posts
Hi Roger, I have got through another container of brake fluid since May and am onto my sixth since I bought it 3 years ago. Dacia are really shooting themselves in the foot over this, because generally I am delighted with the car, but would hesitate to buy another because of the poor customer support. I'm wondering if they aren't playing the same trick as ford did over the Ford Pinto fuel tank problem in that they reasoned it was cheaper to pay out compensation for deaths and injuries than to do a recall!
My sympathy brian, the customer service department do themselves no favors in treating you like that ! There is obviously a problem, not that common, but a problem never the less, they do/have known about it in the past, why don't they just fix it ! 6 bottles of brake fluid is ridiculous, it must be pi**ing out and they can't fix it. I think I would have lost my 'rag' a long time ago !! :eek:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Mine hasn't leaked. Perhaps you could pop into Renault Parts and get a cap off a Clio. It might be cheaper than buying brake fluid.

If the cap is at an angle this isn't correct and may have been cross-threaded.

If a new cap doesn't fix it, the threads on the reservoir might be kaput. Or, if it is over-filled beyond 'Min' then leaks through the breather would occur.

Alternatively there might also be a leak at the wheel cylinders, which should also be checked if you are losing brake fluid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In March, I threw my toys out of the pram! I was being given the runaround by both the dealer (our hands are tied) and Dacia (still working on the problem) and I was informed that the dealer had been taken over (by the Hendy group). I finally had a senior name to write to, which I did, laying out my complaints and issues and the time it had taken to get (not) sorted out. I was away on holiday when my son texted me that a new brake reservoir was on its' way!

Apparently, the new owner of the group went ballistic and ordered the service manager at the dealers to sort it out personally. He kept me in the loop and even then he had the same difficulty dealing with Dacia customer service as I did - it took him over a month to get a replacement (working) reservoir and even then found that the defective reservoir is still listed in their spare parts list. I now have a reservoir cap which does not leak (and is of the type fitted to new Dacias), but it has taken 4 years, and the personal intervention of the CEO of Hendy Group to achieve it.

I always thought that in any company, there is always someone that cares about the customer. Unfortunately, I have never found that person either in Dacia Customer Service, or their MD.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Good for you to have the problem fixed, replacing the defective reservoir.

If you can still appreciate some humour, in Romanian law, it is illegal to park nose down. Seriously. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im glad you got this sorted however my 2014 Dacia Sandero Stepway seems to be having a similar problem as of now. Similar to your experience I seemed to hit a brick wall when bringing this issue to light with Dacia Customer service.

Im curious did you have a replacement reservoir and cap, as if so could you please share some details on these parts as id really appreciate it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased my Stepway in March 2020 and encountered the leak straight away as I park downwards on my steep drive.

I have resolved the issue without fuss or contacting any Dacia dealer as that appreared the be going nowhere.

It cost me the price of a pint of milk.

Here's what to do.

Take the cap off the brake master cylinder. Remove the rubber gasket. With the empty and clean plastic pint bottle cut a disc the size of the gasket. Put the disc in the cap replace the gasket screw it back on the master cylinder and the leak is fixed.

Job done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts