UK Dacia Forum banner

Brake Problem

9K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Cardevil 
#1 ·
My Duster has been back yet again to the dealers reguarding brake problems.

Over the past 2 weeks i have noticed at times the brake pedal becomes very hard to press as if servo/electronic brake is not working in assisting with braking.

On the first return to dealer no fault could be found or recreated so it was sent back to me all ok.....however this was not the case as soon as i left the dealer the fault came back so quick u turn and back i go and get the service manager to have a drive for himself.

Not 2 miles into his little and very cautious drive it happened to him.... duster straight back to workshop....bonnet up and a whole bunch of people looking at it.

Meanwhile without asking for it a courtessy car was given to me (which i did not want or ask for so was refused) and told a full examination of the car would take place.

The Dealer called last night to say the car was ready and fault was to do with loose wire on the electronic brake distribution plug/thing ?.

Car was delivered to my house this morning and will now see if the fault comes back again.

Also noticed on the paperwork given to me it states that they also done a blue recall check on my brakes union joints and hand brake adjustment...... strange because that was done by them 2 months ago !!!!!.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yea 2nd check makes sense somehow since they already where checking the brakes anyway..

Lets hope we don't get the problem Volvo had with connections going bad (oxidation) inside the pillars making a lot of trouble for the owner and a clueless workshop.

Did you ask where this loose wire was? Im looking for a reason to dig around my Duster before i go on a long trip this Saturday.

#4 ·
I've had another brake problem; clicking/clunking when braking in reverse and happens again the first time I break going forward. Very helpful garage took it in, dismantled front brakes and told me a lubricant that should have been put in during manufacture was not there. They lubricated the part and road tested the car. All is ok. The curious thing though is that Renault said this was not a warranty fault. My very good garage didn't charge me however and said this was a goodwill gesture. I was clearly told at the outset that this was a known complaint and was on a list that my dealer had. So beware that a garage may charge you if you go back with this complaint.

#8 ·
I believe there is the odd occasion even the mighty powers of Honest John have been no match for the forces of evil .... he's not invincible, forget spiderman, superman .... get the Wacky Racers :lol:

#9 ·
Sorry,

Ive seen honest john raise the profile of problems with manufacturers and made them back down/take action.
i ve seen renault dacia take action also from a thread on this forum

dm got 2 brand new redesign seals for george...

of course it might be the fact that is third in line for the crown but im not sure on that more incline to the forum power tbh ;)

#10 ·
So, one fix for one person, Antovi, and everything in the garden is rosy?

I think not, and I also think that it would be good if Honest John got filled in on all these issues.At the very least it would warn unsuspecting owners what to watch for. Personally I think this forum is useful but doesn't have one-fiftieth of the power that the Honest John site has.

How on this planet can a manufacturing failure to lubricate a joint, causing issues with the brake noise not be a warranty job?

#11 ·
So, one fix for one person, Antovi, and everything in the garden is rosy?

I think not, and I also think that it would be good if Honest John got filled in on all these issues.At the very least it would warn unsuspecting owners what to watch for. Personally I think this forum is useful but doesn't have one-fiftieth of the power that the Honest John site has.

How on this planet can a manufacturing failure to lubricate a joint, causing issues with the brake noise not be a warranty job?

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Seeing as I am

a) female

b)pretty much teetotal

I would say your insight is not exactly masterful :p

I think my point is a fair one...one person getting a fix is not Renault taking note of bad publicity - one person getting a fix is not the right outcome for issues. Personally I doubt that much if anything has been done as a result of this forum, Antavi thinks so, which is his prerogative, I think not. Question still stands, how on earth can a failure to lubricate correctly NOT be a warranty issue??

#14 ·
I have the same 'clunk' issue when reversing and braking on my Duster. Have been told by Renault/Dacia that the pads are moving slightly due to the fact that there are no 'shims' fitted. The 'clunk' also appears when driving forward (after reversing) but stops after 2 or 3 depressions of the pedal. This 'clunk', whilst going forward only occurs until the pads return to their normal position.

The car has only done 1500 miles and the noise has only recently appeared. The car goes in on the 18/10/13 in an attempt to fix the problem. I'm not totally confident however as the mechanics stated they cannot fit 'shims' unless:- 1. There are shims that fit. 2. Dacia approve.

This brake issue is not a safety concern but it is very annoying.

I'll keep you posted

#16 ·
I've had another brake problem; clicking/clunking when braking in reverse and happens again the first time I break going forward. Very helpful garage took it in, dismantled front brakes and told me a lubricant that should have been put in during manufacture was not there. They lubricated the part and road tested the car. All is ok. The curious thing though is that Renault said this was not a warranty fault. My very good garage didn't charge me however and said this was a goodwill gesture. I was clearly told at the outset that this was a known complaint and was on a list that my dealer had. So beware that a garage may charge you if you go back with this complaint.
3 weeks with my duster ambience 2016 and everyday i get a new noise or something that catches my ear...Tonight this same clunk noise started to happen in reverse when parking the car, i never heard it before and it only happens in reverse when i apply the breaks. Another noise also started to happen 2 days ago while on a long trip as soon as i apply the wippers, every time wippers go off theres an electrical clicking noise coming from the inside of the car...I invested in a new car to not have this time of worrying thoughts for god sake and its proven to be the complete opposite...I will try and the dealer way and see what happens. At the same time anybody has any advice about how to secure the little Dacia rim hubcup as it can come off quite easily leaving exposed a very ugly and corroded / rusty hub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.