UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Having recently arrived back in the UK from France (where I bought my MCV in 2012), and am wrestling with getting the headlights to dip to the left. Yes, I ordered and have received a pair of beam benders but surely there must be an easier solution.

In France it is law to have a spare set of bulbs in the boot but it would appear that the Dacia dealer over there sold me the wrong set as they are deigned for the Megane III and the Senic III - the kit includes the H7 HII.

Now, excuse my ignornace but surely Dacia/Renault would not have produced a special chrome interior dish (inside the headlight unit) that bends the light to the right, simply for left hand drive - it's down to the bulbs used.

Would it not seem obvious that by installing a recognised bulb for right hand drive countries (bearing in mind that the bulb has a metal tab inside which already bends the light towards the chrome dish), would be the answer?

Is that far too clever and far too obvious to be a viable solution - or are we back to sticky bits on the exterior of the headlights? Would anyone have the part number for the headlight in today's MCV and we'll see if they fit?

snaps

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
It says in the UK MOT Manual that

Masks or converter kits may be fitted to right hand dip headlamps to temporarily alter the lamp for use in the UK by removing the beam 'kick-up' to the right.
A headlamp altered in this way is not a reason for rejection.

It used to be that the beam pattern was done by lenses in the glass in the headlamp cover but these days the difference is usually in the reflector. There are just made from plastic so its not really a problem these days to make different LHD and RHD versions.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Yes, look on an older vehicle and all the funny lines and shapes moulded into the glass/plastic are what gives the beam pattern. These days the same is achieved with the reflective insert behind plain glass/plastic.

Therefore, a bulb is a bulb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts