UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There appears to be a number of different bullbars available for the Duster. Some are stainless bars (available mostly from europe) and some are of metal / plastic / foam construction. Are the bare stainless type bars legal for the U/K? I need some bars to fit some decent spotlamps on if possible.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have stainless steel bull bars on my Duster and they are legal - they came with an EC certificate of compliance to confirm that the manufacturer has tested and met the standards. They also look great (or at least I think they do - I've attached a couple of photos to give you an idea).

I bought them from "Trade Van Accessories" who I can strongly recommend for their service and although there is a need to remove the grill and bumper panel at the front, it isn't as difficult as you might think.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
I should add that there are 2 bars that protrude from the grill (to which the bull bars are attached) that would make ideal connections for fitting spots if you want

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello Tripper25, I'm thinking of fitting a set of polyurethane bars to mine, just for a bit of protection, can you tell me why you need to remove the grill and bumper assembly, just in case it think it's to much grief for me to do or get a garage to fit.
Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Geraint,

I have to confess I don't 'do' Facebook - the nearest I get is 'LinkedIn' - I must be one of those dinosaurs but I'll e-mail them to you; just let me know what quality you want and what size your e-mail will accommodate (1.5mb each okay?). In fact they're simply copied from a couple of those I placed in my Dacia Forum 'Garage'.

As regards the Aston, actually it's a Vantage with a DBS colour scheme, racing suspension and wheels and a few bits and pieces to make it go like 'stink' (I can't help pimping all my rides) - just about as far away from a Dacia as is possible but each in their own ways "absolutely brilliant"!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Beagle,

The stainless steel bars require support near the top because of the weight (not that heavy but enough to cause shear stresses in the bolts underneath [that connect to the floor via good solid brackets] that could cause them to fracture in time).

At the same time, the bull bars need to collapse on impact - so as not to injure anyone - so the top connection bolts are plastic. These plastic bolts are connected to brackets which must feed through the grill; the brackets fix around the front sub-frame and the only way to fix these is to remove the grill. Of course the grill is fixed to the bumper so it all detaches in one piece. The only thing to take care over is the fog lights that can be left connected as long as the whole thing is supported whilst it's been removed - sounds complicated, but it's not, as long as you have some decent spanners and screwdrivers.

From what I can see from the polyurethane bars, these seem to replace the original polyurethane detailing to which the number plate is fixed (though I don't know for sure) so may not require the bumper and grill to be removed but probably will, simply because Renault/Dacia have a habit of secreting screws where you cannot get at them without removing half the car panels! Either way, it shouldn't be a major problem, but if you're not overly confident, any competent garage could do it for you within an hour.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Geraint,

I have to confess I don't 'do' Facebook - the nearest I get is 'LinkedIn' - I must be one of those dinosaurs but I'll e-mail them to you; just let me know what quality you want and what size your e-mail will accommodate (1.5mb each okay?). In fact they're simply copied from a couple of those I placed in my Dacia Forum 'Garage'.

As regards the Aston, actually it's a Vantage with a DBS colour scheme, racing suspension and wheels and a few bits and pieces to make it go like 'stink' (I can't help pimping all my rides) - just about as far away from a Dacia as is possible but each in their own ways "absolutely brilliant"!
i have a request mr tripper (or should i say mr bond)

just for me cos i saw many dusters...........

can u back it up just enough to enjoy that aston :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
i think the Duster is for "special" occasions Ant.....

the aston is used for the "school run" and trips to "Asda"

LOL

:D :lol: :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Antavi

Just for you, please find below a couple of photos I took at the same time as the Duster 'shoot'.

D&M

The Aston is actually my day-to-day "work" car - machine guns, ejector seat and all! The Duster is most definitely the dog's car - I'm merely her chauffeur!

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Tripper26, you were 100% about integral bumper removal. The polyurethane bars I have seen advertised have been in Romania and Turkey. Could you let me know if you have seen any advertised in the UK or else where.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
D&M

The Aston is actually my day-to-day "work" car - machine guns, ejector seat and all! The Duster is most definitely the dog's car - I'm merely her chauffeur!
OOOOOoooooh really !!!!????? :D

Fantastic...!!!!

Please please can i drive it, i like aston martins :wub: , and i've been VERY good :rolleyes:

AND.....please may i choose who goes in the "ejector" seat......and how far i can fling them ???!!!!

That would make a superb thing on top gear....put a target on the ground....and see how accurate your aim is !!!!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Beagle,

Can't help much, I'm afraid. As you say, the plastic/polyurethane bars all seem to emanate from Romania (probably because the Dacia was born there, has little regulation regarding the legislation of exterior car accessories and produces some (not all) cheap and nasty products) or Turkey but India also. India appears even worse where the choice is infinite but the quality completely uncontrolled. Added to this, trading in these countries has currency exchange risks not relevant to Sterling and Euro - I for one wouldn't shop there - and returns/missing parts etc must be a nightmare.

I do know someone who used companies in Romania called Cromtuning and Praguri Inox without too many difficulties (and who sell various bull bars) but don't take this as a recommendation!

·
Registered
146 Posts
D&M

'For Your Eyes Only'

I hate to be your 'Dr No' and certainly wouldn't want to give you the 'Goldfinger' but the racing clutch and box are not for the faint hearted. 'Live and let die' maybe and perhaps 'You only live twice' but I know 'A view to a kill' when I see one. Never mind 'Tomorrow never dies'; it is likely, it would never come - at the very least you would scare 'The living daylights' out of me.

I'm sure you're a great driver but your driver's licence is more likely a 'Licence to kill'.

Put simply, 'The world is not enough', not for all the tea from China or even 'From Russia.

With Love'

Tripper 26

- you can try out the Duster though, any time!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tripper26, thanks very much for the advice, which I really appreciate. Praguri is the main company that I have been in contact with. I must admit the thought of missing or defective parts is a real concern and any after sales issues would probably be a nightmare!. I need to give it some serious thought over the weekend.
Thanks again for all your help and advice .

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Beagle,

Can't help much, I'm afraid. As you say, the plastic/polyurethane bars all seem to emanate from Romania (probably because the Dacia was born there, has little regulation regarding the legislation of exterior car accessories and produces some (not all) cheap and nasty products) or Turkey but India also. India appears even worse where the choice is infinite but the quality completely uncontrolled. Added to this, trading in these countries has currency exchange risks not relevant to Sterling and Euro - I for one wouldn't shop there - and returns/missing parts etc must be a nightmare.

I do know someone who used companies in Romania called Cromtuning and Praguri Inox without too many difficulties (and who sell various bull bars) but don't take this as a recommendation!
i desagree with u

i remind u that romania is part of the eu and the rate with romanian leu is aprox 1bpund/5,5 RON

cant speak for the companies shady ones exists all over the world

but dont compare romania with india or some other uncontrolled parts of the world

also i like to see witch poliuretan bars u talk about post a picture or a link

those i know exists are ones on the south american renault duster witch are made in brazil for colombia brazil and south america market

if u dont trust romanian companies there are many accesories done for duster in germany

search the forum for old threads on that and the internet

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello Antavi, thanks for your help, the company I have been in contact with is advertised online as: Bullbar- Praguri. They advertise about four variations of polyurethane bullbars, costing from £240.00 GDP. They look really well made, the company have sent me a number of pictures that was helpful.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Antavi
No offence intended towards Romania, its people or its companies and you are right to suggest that shady companies exist all over the world. I simply suggest that wherever anyone from Britain purchases goods from outside of the UK (or from the European countries who transact in Euros and with whom the UK has a long-standing and recognisably strong arrangement), there are additional risks and potential difficulties. This is often overcome where companies in such non-Euro European countries choose to trade in Euros, giving an increased level of certainty and comfort to the buyer, but those that were spoken of previously seem to trade exclusively in Leu and could subject a foreign buyer to significant additional charges associated with exchange rates and bank costs.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
apreciate this guys no offence taken

seen the website

http://www.bullbar-praguri.ro/dacia/dacia-duster

i told u the official rate at the banks here is 1 bpund = 5,5 Ron (around that figure)

looked at the company its legit based in sibiu county

but every legit company in romania and serious one also can and trades in euro they choose RON cause of the returning VAT system here more profitable for them

u do the math

anymore help.....just ask ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts