UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just completed the process of buying a new Stepway dCi. I made an initial visit to Evans Halshaw in Leeds and arranged a test drive.

When I showed up for my appointment, I was told that the demonstration vehicles were hemmed in owing to a break-in that weekend. It was now Tuesday. The salesman said he couldn't get to the demo. vehicle. When I asked why he didn't telephone me to save the unnecessary journey to the showroom, he was unable to give me a satisfactory answer. I felt extremely disappointed as I had been preparing myself for the test drive, reading brochures, looking at reviews, forums, etc. I was genuinely ready to make a deal that day with a 10 plate Kia Rio diesel for part exchange. I decided to visit another dealer that morning in Otley - Kineholme Garage. I arrived without making an appointment and explained what had just happened in Leeds an hour or so earlier. The salesman was willing to give me a test drive there and then. He explained that dealers don't make much on selling Dacias. Perhaps this was why the Leeds dealer was so uninterested in selling me one. It then occurred to me that if no discounts are available on Dacias and if the dealers make very little from selling them, then the only way they can make money is by offering indifferent deals on part exchange vehicles. Am I right? Or is it all smoke and mirrors? In the end, I bought my car from Kineholm and was satisfied with the money they offered for the Rio. They actually offered me £600 more than a Dacia dealer in Bradford - Bristol Street Motors. It would seem that the Bradford dealer was seeking to boost their margin by offering me a lousy deal on the part exchange and then pushing add-ons such as Gap Insurance, Diamond-brite paintwork treatment and finance deals. When I asked the salesman what the APR was on the finance deal, he was very vague indeed. So as you can see, the purchasing process was a bit of a roller coaster ride, even though, in the end, I was happy with the deal I got in Otley. It does pose a question about dealer incentives to sell Dacias, though. Are Renault dealers selling Dacias under suffrance!? How can dealers make the process of buying a car more enjoyable and transparent? Do dealers make as little as they claim?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I am so glad you did not buy from Evans Halshaw.

PLEASE guys and girls, do NOT buy from Evans Halshaw.

Bungling incompetents doesn't even come close to describing them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Do dealers make as little as they claim?
Not a chance in hell... EVERY dealer you ask there is little to none profit for them on selling cars.. boohoo. It's just BS, they all havge good margin on EVERY sold car.

Why do you think there are so many car dealers.. it's not because they don't make money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually the make about £400 on a stepway. I asked my friend who works at a garage selling them. I dont think that's a huge margin at all. Im guessing they make their money on servicing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts