UK Dacia Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
As people have pointed out the new vehicles with stop start are designed to work with this. Electronic ignition and fuel systems make vehicles much easier to start nowadays and with more powerful batteries and starting systems you hardly notice them work.
But as an engineer I also know about mechanical wear, so if for instance the car does not start as it should the starting components are subject to this wear, also if you are in slow moving traffic the car is start stopping so often that there is really no advantage pollution wise. Now some of this is alleviated by the the programming which should stop the system switching off so much if it is happening too often but in my experience with my company van this is not always the way. It drives me so mad that I tend to never take my foot off the clutch pedal in traffic.
That aside my problem is the electronics on my Duster, I have recently fitted a dash cam and a Android head unit in the car and if I let the stop start operate they are constantly restarting. I have gone right through the cars electrics and tried various points to connect them but the problems persist. Now as an engineer I understand why this is happening, the very small current drop when the power goes to the starter circuit is enough to fool modern electronic devices into thinking they have been disconnected. But this is the only vehicle I drive that has this problem though, I have used the same camera on other vehicles and this doesn't happen with the stop start.

As for shorting out the bonnet catch wires, you need to e careful, if you have a front end crash the insurance company may invalidate your insurance if they find out you have done this. So until I work out a solution I will just have to remember to switch it off every time or keep my foot on the clutch.

·
Registered
Oct 2013 Sandero Ambiance 1.2
1,914 Posts
That aside my problem is the electronics on my Duster, I have recently fitted a dash cam and a Android head unit in the car and if I let the stop start operate they are constantly restarting. I have gone right through the cars electrics and tried various points to connect them but the problems persist. Now as an engineer I understand why this is happening, the very small current drop when the power goes to the starter circuit is enough to fool modern electronic devices into thinking they have been disconnected. But this is the only vehicle I drive that has this problem though, I have used the same camera on other vehicles and this doesn't happen with the stop start.
You can get stabilisers:

https://incartec.co.uk/product/Start-stop-Voltage-stabiliser-10-603

Why not try putting a large value capacitor across the 12 V input? If that doesn't work include a diode to prevent reverse drain of the cap.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If I think I'll be stopped a little bit longer then I put car in neutral and handbrake on.

Doesn't seem to stop the engine when I do that.
It only stops the engine automatically if all of a long list of conditions are met, e.g gears in neutral, clutch released, doors and bonnet closed, engine temperature within a set range, cabin temperature, ambient temperature, battery condition, etc., etc. Similarly, if it autostops but one of the conditions then ceases being met, it restarts.

TBH the only time I find it a pain is if I'm not going to be stopped long enough to warrant letting it stop and restart but want/need to adjust my foot position on the clutch pedal - which, of course, will stop the engine and immediately restart it.

As to increased wear on the starter and battery, they are designed to be more durable nowadays. So many cars have auto stop-start now that if there were a significant problem the media would be all over it.

·
Premium Member
2020 Sandero Stepway, 1977 MGB Roadster
226 Posts
Against any possible increased wear on the starter and battery shouldn't the increased wear by holding the clutch out, dazzling the driver behind with your stop lights, be considered?

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a micro switch under the bonnet at the release lever. Disconnect the plug and jump the two wires. This makes the car think the bonnet is open and it deactivates the S/S
I think about possible problem with that solution. In hot days when the motor is also hot, front fans are engaged automaticaly even the ignition key is pulled off. As I can remember, on some older cars they are switched off when the bonnet is open for security reasons for someone who work with engine, because those fans can turn on suddenly even the ignition key is not engaged at all. So this bonnet switch is used to cut power to fans in that situation.
If we overide it, MAYBE we risk with overheating the engine when we stop and leave the car (in hot day and hot motor situation), because fans won't continue to work as they should.
What's your thoughts about that?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think about possible problem with that solution. In hot days when the motor is also hot, front fans are engaged automaticaly even the ignition key is pulled off. As I can remember, on some older cars they are switched off when the bonnet is open for security reasons for someone who work with engine, because those fans can turn on suddenly even the ignition key is not engaged at all. So this bonnet switch is used to cut power to fans in that situation.
If we overide it, MAYBE we risk with overheating the engine when we stop and leave the car (in hot day and hot motor situation), because fans won't continue to work as they should.
What's your thoughts about that?
Get in the car, start the engine, snap on Your seatbelt, click the disabling switch for the Stop/Start after a week it becomes second nature done it for 3years simples no wiring no worries.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, it's annoying me since 2016. when I bought my Logan MCV. I can not use to it, it's just stupid and annoying. Of course I try to not forget to dissable it after every ignition, but often forget when in hurry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I asked an service man who works in Dacia servis about that today and he confirmed me that the bonnet switch in Logan MCV have no relation to cooling fans like it has in some other cars and that is completely safe overriding it. ????

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think Stop/Start is dangerous to work it needs a fully charged battery as a result after a long journey it suddenly starts working when you are not expecting it! When we were last able to travel abroad. I was just parking up on the ferry. I had just put the car in gear to stop it running away. The engine suddenly started and the car ran forward nearly taking the legs off the parking attendant

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anybody have any confirmed valid sources to back up the claims of what Start/Stop can do to a car over time? Just curious, as in a 2 car family over the last 5 years we've had 2 Sanderos, and 2 Dusters, all with Start/Stop used regularly, and not a single battery, starter, or turbo issue.

I always see a lot of "It makes me wonder..." or "I imagine that..." etc. Anyone actually had a mechanical failure as a direct result of Start/Stop?

In fact I did a lot of Googling and found numerous articles (from sites such as Autocar, RAC etc) stating that its a myth. Starter motors for Stop/Systems are not the same as traditional ones, modern batteries are more heavy duty, and new crank bearing materials have all been specifically designed for the new stresses of Start/Stop. And lets not forget, as pointed out in most articles, it is nothing like a cold start for engine wear.

If you don't like Start/Stop then fine not everyone does, and that's your choice to not use it. But it feels like most people make that choice based on guess work, and assuming modern engines with Start/Stop are still using components designed 20 years ago.

If anyone has physical evidence of it then I'm genuinely interested, as I have wondered if it has any impact on component life myself. But I've never assumed it does. And in my years of driving, and anyone I've known who has used Start/Stop since I can remember, nobody has had an issue that can be attributed to the extra stress of it. I've even known people with no Start/Stop have to replace starters and/or alternators within the first 12 months. Premature failure can happen to any component for many reasons, not just in cars.

I like Start/Stop, and I've seen no evidence that it can cause early failure. Only evidence that when used correctly in the right situation it can save some fuel, which no matter how small is better than no saving to me. And that it can reduce emissions, again by any tiny amount has to be better than not at all right...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts