UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was in my teens (30 odd years ago....) my Uncle gave me a 531 tubed VIKING bike frame dating from the fifties. I built it up over 6 months and rode it for a few years then sold it for about 30 quid!!!! ARGGGGGGGHHHHHH

I don't know the model, but from the original colour (underneath the primer) it was probably one these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Viking-Mileater-Frame-/301074148207?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item46196aeb6f

Now I can afford the frame (it hasn't sold twice before so it wont fetch silly money).... and a mate owns a spray shop and you can buy the original transfers cheaply enough from various sources and I have reasonably good bike maintenance skills

Its just the actual cost of building it up using sympathetic retro parts (modern parts might not fit and would be just as dear or even more)...... Even discussing it has caused heated discussions in the household (my best bike is only 3 months old and is lighter than some sandwiches I've eaten and then there's the "wet weather" bike)......

Basically I have 3 options

1. not buy it and regret it

2. buy it and have the biggest row going

3. buy it and hide it at work (not a long term option I know....)

I know this is a car forum but on 'cyclechat' they are a bit biased towards anything with 2 wheels and everyone says BUY IT ....... so non biased opinions please.....

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Yeah, buy it and stick it in the shed for a few weeks till she buys something daft :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The row would last longer than that I can assure you......it could live at work for a bit but at some point it would have to come home at some point, there's a courier charge of about £15 quid on top as I live no where near it.... If I don't buy it will regret it but if I do buy it I think the row might be a big one......

To be fair to Mrs S she didn't moan when I bought the new bike then stuck a Gamin GPS cycle computer on it (then I added puncture resistant tyres to it....etc) .... I think this is just the final cycling straw...........

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, buy it and stick it in the shed for a few weeks till she buys something daft :)
That's the problem she won't she's so restrained (Honestly she is) and she goes in the shed to get her bike out....

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its quite a satisfaction to me that "TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY THIS" is my biggest dilemma at the moment.... I'm sure the girls will be along in a bit to talk some sense in to me!

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Give a friend the money to buy it for you as a gift

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
That's the problem she won't she's so restrained (Honestly she is) and she goes in the shed to get her bike out....
OK buy the frame, take it home and exclaim! look dear someone's nicked my wheels, I only left it for a minute!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its got a bid on it now so at least it will go to someone who will build it up...... but I'm leaving it..... it really isn't worth the hassle but I could turn it into something really special

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
It sounds like your instinct for survival has kicked in ;) Presumably its not the money your good lady objects to but the additional time you might spend on your hobby. I think you've probably made the right decision. :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It sounds like your instinct for survival has kicked in ;) Presumably its not the money your good lady objects to but the additional time you might spend on your hobby. I think you've probably made the right decision. :D
Its the money it would cost to build it she is objecting to, rather than the actual cost price. As for the time I could build it on days off once it was painted, it wouldn't actually take much time at all probably an hour or so every time a part got delivered... but hey ho its not worth the hassle it would cause

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Its the money it would cost to build it she is objecting to, rather than the actual cost price. As for the time I could build it on days off once it was painted, it wouldn't actually take much time at all probably an hour or so every time a part got delivered... but hey ho its not worth the hassle it would cause
:D Oh dear Simon..... I think closure could be a way off!! Have a drink of something and don't look back ;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't worry folks the auction finishes Friday...... and someone has bid so I will be over it by Saturday..... :wacko:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It sold for £15 I was so tempted but decided it wasn't worth the hassle :rolleyes: from Mrs S

·
Registered
48 Posts
Simon,

I know this might seam REALLY radical idea,
(and this is where the my fellow chaps are going to spit there coffe over the keyboard)

have you actually bought the subject up with the missus?

I have a fetish for all thing yachting and, no I wont go and buy a new boat but things like the new sails, better outboard and updated electronics things that cost a fair amount, with a fairly heated debate, I do have to consider what she might have earmarked the money for, but if I can put together a good argument for it, then usually no problem, also convincing her that I NEED a Duster was a classic case in point.
Im happy, shes happy (ish.?? l have a newer car than she has...hehe)

try talking...old fashioned I know.

Ok guys, flame away....duck

Kim

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Simon,

I know this might seam REALLY radical idea,
(and this is where the my fellow chaps are going to spit there coffe over the keyboard)

have you actually bought the subject up with the missus?

I have a fetish for all thing yachting and, no I wont go and buy a new boat but things like the new sails, better outboard and updated electronics things that cost a fair amount, with a fairly heated debate, I do have to consider what she might have earmarked the money for, but if I can put together a good argument for it, then usually no problem, also convincing her that I NEED a Duster was a classic case in point.
Im happy, shes happy (ish.?? l have a newer car than she has...hehe)

try talking...old fashioned I know.

Ok guys, flame away....duck

Kim
I did try..... and didn't get past "There's this bike frame on ebay......" unfortunately it coincided with the week where we bought a new washer (to replace a rented one)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts