UK Dacia Forum banner

Can't solve battery problems

21K views 98 replies 14 participants last post by  umekille 
#1 ·
My new Stepway (july) has had a charging fault for months. Been to the dealers, new battery and still it's running flat. They say charging ok, would show on the dash if it wasn't. It's going back to the dealer after the hols but not sure if it's going to let me down as it seems to be getting worse. I'm at a loss

#2 ·
What do you mean my "running flat". AGM batteries used in start/stop are not charged in the same way as old fashioned flooded batteries and indeed are never fully charged to leave headroom for the smart alternator in braking.

You have an EMM ( Energy Management Module ) doing things behind your back. All to do with reducing emissions.

#3 ·
Put a DC Clamp Meter on the battery lead when the car is not running to see if its drawing excess current.
(A) Many Amps mean something is drawing current from the battery.
Then switch on the headlights and note the current. Start the engine, the current reading should go up meaning the alternator is charging the battery.
Back to (A)!

#6 ·
As it's less than 6 months since new you still have the right to reject it and and ask for a refund. As the dealer has had multiple goes at fixing it it might be worth reminding them of this next time it's in. Hopefully that will focus their minds on finding a resolution.
I have had it in only the once, but something to bare in mind

#4 ·
I had to take car in last week as I could barely start the engine. A new battery was fitted and i drove it back yesterday. I did a 20 mile run doing 70mph and more. Got home and it said ''Priority Battery Charge''. Today on starting is was showing ''flat battery''. This is nuts.

#5 ·
As it's less than 6 months since new you still have the right to reject it and and ask for a refund. As the dealer has had multiple goes at fixing it it might be worth reminding them of this next time it's in. Hopefully that will focus their minds on finding a resolution.

#22 ·
^^^ This absolutely.

If the car is less than 6 months old, the dealer gets only one chance to fix it. As they already had that opportunity you have a right to reject immediately, right now. This they really don't want to do so will do anything they can to fix the problem. That worked for me with my new Logan a few months back. Message me if you want me to help you, and copy you my correspondence so you can see what I wrote.

Rejecting means driving the car to the dealer and giving them the keys and V5 plus a letter. You will also have to return any loan/courtesy car. In reality this isn't an option for many as it leaves them without transport or maybe you have finance outstanding in which case you have to notify them as well. My Logan isn't my only car & I bought with cash - and I made sure the dealer knew this - so I was in a very strong position and as it happened they fixed the car rather rapidly at considerable cost to Dacia, as apparently they had a technician travel from elsewhere in the UK to come and fix it. That's what they said anyway.

#12 ·
It is quite obvious that something is stopping the battery from charging whether it is a control module or the alternator.
I would be putting a meter on the alternator direct and the same meter then on the battery. If the values are different something is wrong in-between the two.
The other possibility is that the controlling current to the alternator is not correct, a wrong value or not even getting there!
Extremely bad show. I would be fuming!
Throw it back at them, demand a courtesy car, don't have it back until they can prove you have a reliable vehicle. Consider getting an auto electrician to visit and check its values and obtain a written report.

#13 · (Edited)
Yes I agree something is not right. A good battery should not have lost it's charge overnight. Maybe there is a parasitic load or a fault like the car is not going into sleep mode when left parked.

You could drive a car 20 miles easily, if the battery fitted was well charged as it should have been, without any charging at all.

Hopefully the dealer will get to the bottom of it when you take it back in.

You can get a multi-meter that will serve your purpose for under £10.

A well charged battery should read 12.8 V
Spend most of the time at 12.6 V
In need of a good charging at 12.4 V

So you want to see 12.6 V unless there is a good reason like the lights were left on.

P.S. There should be a battery monitor attached to one of the battery terminals maybe that is duff and feeding false values to the EMM.

#14 ·
Thank you Bernard and Daedalus. At last I have some understanding. The charging system is not doing it's job at all, weither it's driving and standing the battery is looseing power. It is not for me to be involved with why this is, that's the job of the dealer. In a way it would be best if the battery failed and so to highlight the problem and will if last week is anything to go by. Such a shame as it's a great car, lovely to drive. See what happens over the hols. Thanks all. Merry Christmas

#17 ·
Tried the car this morning, battery very low. Rang the dealer for a another car, got nothing and said ring the RAC. Fat lot of good they will be. The last time they couldn't get into the electronics. SOO i've a journey to do tomorrow, almost certain to breakdown then this car will be back at the dealers next week. They can keep it

#20 ·
It's not me questioning you sir. Its a process of elimination and it is extremely difficult to help this situation via this format.
As it stands it appears you have a few options.
Get advice from a solicitor or citizens advice.
Get an independent auto electrician to survey the charging circuit and give a report you can take to the dealer.
If it is on finance contact them and inform them that the vehicle is not fit for purpose and the goods are faulty, you are contemplating ceasing payment.
Or go to the dealer and start kicking off in front of punters.
Other than that I'm a bit stuck on what to suggest next.

#25 ·
It is difficult to "fault find" without establishing exactly what is happening. I'd see what the dealer does first. I think they changed the battery to eliminate that, they probably have to do what Renault say for warranty work, or at least approved, the question is what they do next. Unfortunately modern car's electrics are complicated.

#26 ·
I think they changed the battery and crossed their fingers. Obviously that was not the problem as the issues have not changed. I hope they can get to the bottom of it but I will have to do as Jim says regardless as the car is not fit for the purpose.

#30 · (Edited)
Mickey,

I have sent you a message including my letter to Dacia and my phone number. Give me a shout if you wish.

I didn't go as far as handing the car back, although it came close. I wanted them to repair the car and the threat of rejection worked. But I think if you actually do hand back the keys etc you will have to stand firm because, as you say, it can happen again and after 6 months it becomes more difficult although I didn't research that so can only give my opinion. It would appear to me that, before 6 months the dealer has to prove the car wasn't faulty, and after 6 months you have to prove it was. That's quite a difference.

Expect considerable push-back from the supplying dealer who will try to convince you with all sort of arguments that you can't reject (as it will cost them thousands). Ignore all that, as your legal position is clear!

From what you say, it would seem you are very close to the 6 months deadline. If you do reject the car, just write a simple note why you are rejecting: under the Consumer Act 2015 it is your right to reject the car as they have been unable to repair it. Include a simple statement what the fault is, and a list of dates when the car has been back to the dealer because of it. Include the note with the V5 and the keys and any other documentation that came with the car. It must be a clean break. Keep section 9 of V5, fill it out and send to DVLA.

By the way, my breakdown recovery insurance (with LV) included a legal assistance helpline, which was extremely useful.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add: on rejection the dealer may withhold a sum of money for the fair use of the car; this NOT the equivalent of the car's reduced market value (which even after 6 months can amount to several thousand pounds) but merely a value based on the number of miles driven; I was told by my legal helpline that would be a few pence per mile (not dissimilar to the the amount per mile when the mileage limit on a hire purchase car, or a rental car, is exceeded).

#37 ·
Good question and I have not got a good answer. I simply don't know what the problem was/is, was it the battery, was it the charging system. The dealer did not tell me and I really don't know if the problem is going to come back because the issue's I had were not solved with the new battery until three days later after fitting which I thought at the time would mean the battery was not the problem. Maybe I did not give the new battery enough time to settle (does a battery need time to settle) and so this is much to do about nothing, if so that's my fault. I shall buy everyone on here a drink if I get the chance (knowing full well you are all hundreds of miles away;)). I would just like to say though I've put up with this problem for months and they were saying on here this is normal, in the meantime I'm getting more and more wound up about it. It's just a problem thats taken a while to solve and hope it is solved

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.