UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the site for "stonechip" as I was looking to see if bonnet edge protectors are available for the Duster. I have googled this and found "Car Bra's" which somewhat amused me. They are plastic (or something) strips that can be placed over the front edge of the bonnet to protect it from stone chips. Have any of the long standing Duster owners on here suffered from stone chips to the paint work of the bonnet.

i need to contact the Car Bra company to see if they will be producing these for the Duster but wondered if anyone knew if they were already available elsewhere. cant find on the dacia shop either. Will pop back tomorrow to view replies. Thanks.

Datza.

Was going to sign off with "DD", but thought better of that! ;)

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Can't say I've ever seen one but stones flying up are a fact of life no matter where you are and can chip just about any part of your paintwork, there's not much you can do about it other than keep some chip repair paint handy.

I've done 120,000 miles in a connect van and the front is literally peppered all over with stone chips.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a Z3 in Germany and had one fitted to keep the stone chips off the front. The only place I could find that sold them was in Texas. So don't know we're your get one for the Duster?

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I reckon the biggest cause is vehicles overtaking and kicking up loose stones from the center of the road, that's when I seem to get hit most.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
I take it the Connect van you drive is continually overtaken.
Speed limited so yes.

But it's not just that, if you overtake a slow moving lorry you'll often see them flash you to pull in close ahead. That's because they know that you're likely to throw up a stone or two and the further away you are when you do the higher it will be when it hits their vehicle.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate what everyone says, it was more a damage limitation exercise than anything else. I agree with Troute I think the lorries are a big culprit for this so do tend to stay well back out of their way. Dusterdly, I know what you mean but some can look acceptable and its much better looking than having a bonnet that looks like its got chickenpox scars. Antavi, thanks for the link will explore that one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
DatzaDusta - Did you locate a suitable bonnet edge guard and if you did what way did you go please?

WeegieBob. ;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No I did,nt pursue it any further. Have you come up with something?

Sent from my Motorola XOOM using Dacia forum app.

·
Registered
206 Posts
No I did,nt pursue it any further. Have you come up with something?

Hi DD,

Have a look at my reply in this thread relating to the same subject - Clicky > http://www.daciaforum.co.uk/topic/2470-stone-chips-on-bonnet/

We collected our car this morning, so over the next few days I'm going to pop into the local graphics company and see what's what. So, using that well worn phrase - 'Watch this space.' ;)

WeegieBob.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
When i was young i worked for a microlight aircraft manufacturer and one of my jobs was applying / replacing the propellers leading edge tape. This was a very thick and flexible tape that was designed to reduce wear / damage to the prop. Never tried to do it myself but i would image that this would do an excellent job as a bonnet leading edge tape. Had a quick look on google and came up with this which I think is similar:

http://www.vikingtapes.co.uk/p-86-3m-8671hs-polyurethane-protective-tape-short-rolls-75mm-x-3m.aspx#.Us0XhtJdXSc

But as i have said I have never tried this myself, so cannot vouch for either its success or it effecting your paintwork. It was applied and re-applied to Lacquered wooden propellers.

·
amazing, just amazing!
2,926 Posts
Isn't that what you can buy as "Helicopter Tape" ?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When i was young i worked for a microlight aircraft manufacturer and one of my jobs was applying / replacing the propellers leading edge tape. This was a very thick and flexible tape that was designed to reduce wear / damage to the prop. Never tried to do it myself but i would image that this would do an excellent job as a bonnet leading edge tape. Had a quick look on google and came up with this which I think is similar:

http://www.vikingtapes.co.uk/p-86-3m-8671hs-polyurethane-protective-tape-short-rolls-75mm-x-3m.aspx#.Us0XhtJdXSc

But as i have said I have never tried this myself, so cannot vouch for either its success or it effecting your paintwork. It was applied and re-applied to Lacquered wooden propellers.
I would want to see it in use to make a decision, though it sounds good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts