UK Dacia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I wondered if it was possible to change the fuel measurement on the on board computer... at the moment, it tells me how many gallons I've used... Is there a way to change it to tell me how many litres instead, and yes, I could just multiply by 4.54, but that's multitasking, and according to the police, we can't multitask whilst driving.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
If multiplying a number by 4.5 whilst driving means you are unable to concentrate on your driving then you might want to look into that!

Why the change to litres anyway?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I was born on the cusp of the official Imperial-Metrification process. I think of distance when driving in miles, distance when walking in KMs (thank the army for that), fuel consumption by MPG, liquid volume in litres, large weight in KGs, smaller weights in grams or ounces. woodworking measurements in mm's or inches (as inches is more accurate). So, that's all cleared up then :wacko:

·
Registered
985 Posts
Let me explain. I'm talking in practical everyday terms. A tape measure is marked in 1 mm segments and 1/16ths in inches. It is difficult to mark (measure) between the mm, but it is easy to measure between the inches, this breaking the marks down into 32nds, which are more accurate than 1mm segments.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here's why imperial is better than metric. Tell her shes getting 203.2 millimeters she won't have a clue, tell her she's getting 8 inches she'll know exactly. Simples.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
Let me explain. I'm talking in practical everyday terms. A tape measure is marked in 1 mm segments and 1/16ths in inches. It is difficult to mark (measure) between the mm, but it is easy to measure between the inches, this breaking the marks down into 32nds, which are more accurate than 1mm segments.
Except that a Class III - standard, 5 meter tape measure can be up to 2.6mm out, which is about 1/10th of an inch. More if its not at 20C.

Non-certified tape measures can be even worse.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Back on topic you lot!!!

My Greek Duster gives litres per 100km which means 2 extra calculations to get to something I understand. So I'd like the process to get mine measuring in old money.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, erm...Multiplying by 4.5 isn't too difficult, but neither is recording a start and end mileage, but we still have trip meters... My point being that computers and the like are meant to make things easier for us, and I would prefer my fuel use to be measured in litres instead of gallons, and it would be very helpful to me.

Thank you

T

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here's why imperial is better than metric. Tell her shes getting 203.2 millimeters she won't have a clue, tell her she's getting 8 inches she'll know exactly. Simples.
we say '20 centimeters'. As a centimetre is smaller than an inch, inherently, metric system has more resolution, which some of us consider a very good thing.

But the really good thing of the international metric system is how magnitudes relates in a perfect fit: put a 10x10x10cm cube and you get 1 exact litre inside.
1 litre of water weights 1kg (standard conditions). In a cube of 1mx1mx1m, 1mm of height equals to 1 litre of liquid

now, what's the volume of a 1x1x1 inches cube? 'one cubic inch'?
what's its weight if filled with water?

sorry for the off-topic

·
Registered
224 Posts
we say '20 centimeters'. As a centimetre is smaller than an inch, inherently, metric system has more resolution, which some of us consider a very good thing.

But the really good thing of the international metric system is how magnitudes relates in a perfect fit: put a 10x10x10cm cube and you get 1 exact litre inside.
1 litre of water weights 1kg (standard conditions). In a cube of 1mx1mx1m, 1mm of height equals to 1 litre of liquid

now, what's the volume of a 1x1x1 inches cube? 'one cubic inch'?
what's its weight if filled with water?

sorry for the off-topic
Resurrection! The trouble is our dual measurement society, it created so many issues. The most obvious example is we buy fuel in litres but measure distance in miles so we are forever having to convert litres into gallons or miles into kilometres, crazy really.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts